News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for binau

binau Profile Photo
Member Name: binau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

TERF - Joshua Kaplan-penned play about JK Rowling to premiere at Edinburgh Fringe
 Jul 11 2024, 03:38:13 PM

Feel free to shoot the messenger while trans people continue to suffer needlessly. All I’ll say is if you get out of your bubbles, talk and listen to what the general public have to say about this issue you will find that the public are not buying many of the activist arguments, such as the role of trans women competing with biological women in sports, and this is fueling the fire of the general public and people like JK Rowling along with other issues. 

It’s grossly u

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
 Jul 10 2024, 01:33:54 PM

I'd much rather the money go to the producers than a scalper. 

TERF - Joshua Kaplan-penned play about JK Rowling to premiere at Edinburgh Fringe
 Jul 10 2024, 12:27:36 PM

This is one of the few social issues where I actually feel the public discourse and attitudes are becoming more negative than positive over time. For the safety, wellbeing and sanity of trans people I think trans activists (who are not the same thing as trans people, or at least the trans people I know who just want to live their lives) might need to start re-thinking their approach. It seems to be making things worse, not better. 

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
 Jul 9 2024, 05:36:13 PM
 Jul 9 2024, 05:35:49 PM

Yes I can understand it must feel odd or even unfair but the reality is that hard working ensemble member wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for Radcliffe - and the show wouldn't be grossing the way it is either. The value that the ensemble member adds is an acting job that many others can do for the same cost or often even less. The value that Radcliffe adds is acting + ticket sales. I do take your point that for very, very long running shows that just seem to rake in profit such a

Jul 9 2024, 04:39:33 PM

I bet people don't suggest that actors should get paid less when business is bad (i.e. most shows) lol. 

Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
 Jul 8 2024, 04:29:05 AM

Sales are a little soft right now. Chances looking unlikely unless things pick up. 

Imelda Staunton Hello, Dolly starts tonight!
 Jul 7 2024, 01:04:15 PM

The main problem with Jenna Russell is that simply she just looks too old next to the actor playing Cornelius. In terms of the character itself and the issues you raise I think it works and if anything you're right - she's a widow, it raises the stakes etc. it's the pairing that doesn't work not the individual character. 

Overall, out of many of the supporting characters though I think Jenna Russell fares well anyway though. I would prioritise the issues d

Jul 7 2024, 05:29:14 AM

It actually did cross my mind that it looked a little like watching a Judi Dench Hello, Dolly. Or at one point I thought (perhaps too many wines in) that it almost felt like a Queen Elizabeth camp tribute to her since Staunton played the Queen recently. "Hello, Lizzie.....well hello Lizzie....".

Overall, on more reflection I think I am pretty satisfied with Staunton's performance to be honest and even the unusual/darker choices for her character. And the title song does a

Jul 6 2024, 06:14:44 PM

Exactly - the Horace felt so mean. In the Broadway revival he was this kind of old grumpy uncle type that doesn’t have much self awareness but is still lovable. Here he actually felt mean lol. 

Gavin Creel’s voice sorely missed, same with Kate Baldwin. 

But it’s still all very enjoyable. I am looking forward to seeing it again. I just was maybe hoping I’d be experiencing something more similar to the last revival again an

Jul 6 2024, 05:44:45 PM

They also have ‘love, look in my window’. 

Yes it all works. And Staunton has warmth. But at the same time they could rename this production “Hello there dolly, R U OK?” because in subtle ways they do try to emphasise darkness. For example, after the overture Staunton opens cold alone on stage with the new opening that makes it feel like a darker start than unusual. the underscoring in the dialogue before ‘Parade Passes By’

Jul 6 2024, 03:50:49 PM

Wow, the opening is ‘just leave everything to me’. Which also has hints of ‘put my hand in there’. I haven’t really heard it before to be honest so I can’t tell how intact or not the song is. 

NYT: New York Moves to Clean Up Times Square After a Spate of Crimes
 Jul 6 2024, 01:25:32 PM

Theatrefan4, I agree with the second part of the post but the first part of the post still feels very naive - When you use the term 'Boogeyman' it implies that there is no real problem or potential threat and that it's essentially a delusional attitude to hold. Come on. I really don't believe you think this. I'm not referring to any population in particular except any marginalised population throughout the world or history of time suffering economic deprivation and (someti

NYT: New York Moves to Clean Up Times Square After a Spate of Crimes
 Jul 6 2024, 12:45:00 PM

TheatreFan4, assuming that the claims are accurate (I don't know), I don't think it's unreasonable that people feel a little unsafe living around drug addicts on the streets or homeless people - regardless if any actual crime has been committed or not.

It's almost like you're implying neither is a problem and that actually it's simply the fault of posters because of their prejudical attitudes towards them. Of course, people should be respectful to all kinds

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jul 6 2024, 03:43:19 AM

I watched "Lady Day" last night and it's true that we shouldn't underestimate Audra's ability to adjust her voice for a character. I do suspect we won't see this kind of transformation because Gypsy as a show has ALWAYS been grounded in the lead actress' personality and vocal style. And it's not like there is a distinctive 'Rose' character voice. Plus it's easy to 'act down' (as Audra did with Lady Day) than 'act up' (Eg. Audra is not going to have Patti's belt suddenly come from an acting trick). She obviously has the capability to tone down her vibrato if needed a little. 

But we shouldn't underestimate Audra, OR the director George C Wolfe. Look at his musicals. Shuffle Along, Caroline, or Change, The Wild Party etc. - this is a man that very deeply, deeply understands the musicianship behind vocal performances and always turns out good performances with a high level of characterisation in them (same as Michael Greif). 

Also, part of me wants Audra to keep some of her signature style. As I said, the show has ALWAYS been grounded in the personality and vocal style of the actress. The show and casting has always been so amazing because Ethel Merman, Angela Lansbury, Tyne Daly, Bernadette Peters and Patti LuPone sound nothing like each other. So every time it's a whole unique experience and character. Audra should not feel compelled to follow the mould.

This whole production is starting to feel a bit 'deja vu' to the Sam Mendes Bernadette Peters Gypsy. Get a hot director ('George C Wolfe' and cast against type ('Audra'. Meanwhile the vultures are circling in the background. Hopefully unlike Sam Mendes Gypsy production, Arthur Laurents' estate are not hovering in the background trying to stop creative choices (e.g. According to David Burtka who played Tulsa the Sam Mendes production we saw wasn't even the real thing. Sam Mendes had a number of choices that Arthur Laurents simply wouldn't allow, such as having Bernadette's face dripping with make-up during 'Rose's Turn'.

I don't care which magazine he writes for but I want to see Ben Brantley's take on this production. Another hallmark of all the previous recent revivals is what he said about Patti Lupone and Bernadette. I don't think I'm ready to listen to Jesse Green's take on this yet. 

Jul 6 2024, 03:31:30 AM

I will report back. My point of reference is the Bette Midler Hello, Dolly! Or as I really think about it let's be honest, the Bernadette Peters Hello, Dolly! That production worked on so many levels I'm not even going to expect they could capture THAT magic. But I can't imagine they could get it wrong.

Jenna Russel is Irene. 

Director Dominic Cooke (GYPSY, FOLLIES). 

Jul 5 2024, 01:50:21 AM

Lindsay is definitely not the weakest link - the whole show works because the 3 leads are most strong. She gets overshadowed a little because she isn't a 'star' and has been absent a lot, but she is equally an important part of the creative vision. The chemistry between her towards Groff feels very real and yet another reason why the production works - it's the only time I've ever actually felt the characters could be real and there were genuine emotion between them rather

Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
 Jul 4 2024, 01:40:17 AM

I have to disagree that Ripley especially wasn’t a ‘tough act to follow’. I think many have followed successfully: Marin Mazzie and C Levy my two favourites. But Ripley’s vocal timbre is so unique and fitting for the role. It’s kind of like Bernadette’s vocals in Sunday, Kelli’s in Bridges, Patti in Gypsy or Ebersole in Grey Gardens. The voice is one of the most important sounds that defines the score. 

As much as I love C Levy

Horror On Broadway?
 Jul 3 2024, 02:42:53 PM

The problem with horror on stage is that it's hard to do - without the kind of film techniques it can come across as cheesy and not horrifying. In my experience, 'horror' works best on stage when it's done very subtly. For example, Sweeney Todd or even the subtext of "Everything's Coming Up Roses" when you have a Rose that it is relentless and you can see the reactions of everyone around is kind of spine-chillingly horrific. I am open to changing my mind if someo

Did Jessie Mueller deserve the Tony?
 Jul 3 2024, 01:23:05 PM

If Bridges were a hit and remained open Kelli could potentially have won. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You