News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for binau

binau Profile Photo
Member Name: binau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Theatre "Influencers"  May 1 2024, 12:27:02 PM

Look, if any influencer dressed up in Patti lupone drag and said to me at the box office “I’m offer only” with their hand extended like a queen id hand a ticket over. 

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 30 2024, 02:51:33 PM

TheQuibbler said: "I wonder if they’d consider (or be allowed to, from a union standpoint) doing away with the pre-show at a certain point to cut costs."

Isn’t that exactly what they did in London? 

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio  Apr 27 2024, 04:59:27 AM

I kind of feel the time for fan imagination has passed. The show has been done. It’s written. It’s recorded. There will be nothing else. This is it. As Sondheim himself said in the show ‘it is what it is’. Trust me let’s just enjoy what we have and move on! 

Riedel podcast covering SUNSET BOULEVARD with interviews including AWL, Close, LuPone, Sondheim  Apr 25 2024, 12:44:42 PM

It's not obvious to me which episode has Sondheim?

Apr 24 2024, 02:34:34 PM

I also found it a little boring and won’t be returning to see it. Between War Horse, Life of Pi, King Kong, Totoro, the clips I’ve seen of the ITW revival (or even the UK Terry G production I did see with the giant baby as the giant) think the novelty of this kind of stage craft is starting to wear thin for me. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/21/24  Apr 23 2024, 02:26:41 PM

With today's costs I wouldn't say the Gatsby numbers are THAT encouraging. Ok it might not be dead on arrival (cf. Lempicka) but the producers still have their work cut out for them to sell tickets. 

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 21 2024, 12:16:02 PM

I also did 'hear' a bit of Mariand’s tracks and wow. I'd love to see both her and Eden. I know it is ridiculous and I deserve all the ridicule I get for defending a show I haven't even seen - BUT I do think there is a reason why people like Sara B are getting all defensive over the negative reaction. The show MIGHT be a mess, I don't know - but come on there is something very special happening with some of this music. It is just so inspired and performed so

Lempicka false advertising  Apr 21 2024, 11:57:37 AM

Even if it's deceptively quoted, it is quite striking how differently (and much more positively) Brantley did review the show back then. It was a critics pick! 

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall  Apr 21 2024, 04:43:18 AM

I kind of wish they’d put it on for another night. Wishful thinking? 

Lempicka false advertising  Apr 20 2024, 03:57:14 AM

"leading lady who called in sick after two days (and was not on her deathbed)."

Is the implication that Eden was well enough to perform? It's a very difficult score to sing. Even when well enough I suspect Eden finds it difficult - and I reflect on that Wicked understudy memoir book who described that singing "Wizard and I", "No Good Deed" and "Defying Gravity" each night she could feel the fire burning in her throat (guessing of cou

Next to Normal Broadway Revival?  Apr 20 2024, 03:29:44 AM
Next to Normal Broadway Revival?  Apr 20 2024, 03:24:59 AM

What I find fascinating was that before Sunset opened, this show was the buzz in town. The entire run was sold out. The production and performances were brilliant. Levy felt like an unstoppable force to win the Olivier. Even after Sunset opened it took some time for the attention to shift to Nicole.

I think many here might prefer the craft of this production and performances than Sunset - there is no doubt in my mind that if there is a Broadway revival it will be this.
<

Bernadette Peters & Lea Salonga to Lead OLD FRIENDS On Broadway  Apr 19 2024, 02:22:30 AM

Bonnie Langford was excellent and there was an old Sondheim connection as I believe she was baby June in the Lansbury Gypsy! But I think New York audiences would prefer someone like Patti or Donna Murphy to sing the song. 

Yes the implication of the ‘old friends’ title is that there is some kind of historical connection to his work - Bernadette opens the show to welcome us to join ‘many of Stephen sondheim’s old friends to celebrate his incredible life and

Bernadette Peters & Lea Salonga to Lead OLD FRIENDS On Broadway  Apr 18 2024, 04:35:35 AM

Look, some of them were great - but how large is Cameron’s ego if he thinks that they were SO GOOD that it requires an equity transfer and additional overheads. My honest opinion is that some of the cast will fall flat in NYC and the audience will be asking ‘why’. I think I have realised that Cameron’s ego is high though - I watched him watch the opening of Old Friends a couple times during the run and he literally stayed to laugh at his own joke in the pre-show announ

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 16 2024, 02:24:10 PM

Sorry to be one of those people, but I couldn't help myself and 'hear' about some of the music - at least from La Jolla. Eden sounded a little off pitch in 'Woman Is" all the way back then! However, I'm struck just at how beautiful some of the music is. "I Will Paint her", "Woman Is", "In The Blasted California Sun". I don't think these are just average songs, and Eden's beautiful low vocals wraping throughout are so nice and unus

Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?  Apr 16 2024, 09:56:59 AM

I agree the chances of a Tom holland production transferring now seem more questionable. But honestly I think these two productions could be running concurrently and Tom holland would still sell every seat at full price. Feels more distasteful than financially risky to have both. 

Operation Mincemeat Musical - London  Apr 16 2024, 09:53:37 AM

in my opinion the show is British but not ‘too British’. It follows the craft and form of well made American musicals - it’s just that some of the references, humour and story of course is very British. But in an accessible way that would appeal not turn people away. Very different than standing at sky’s edge - which rejects some of the form and tradition and American musicals, is a different musical style, is very very local in terms of story. THAT show is ‘too

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy  Apr 15 2024, 11:15:41 AM

I think what I’d say about the screen is it kind of works for the concept because it’s about films. And there are far less gimmicky uses of the screen throughout than the title song. I have to agree that I think people are distracted here at the technical feat than the story telling - but there is A LOT of good story telling. For example, one of the early questions was whether Nicole looked too young. Well they project her face on a giant screen and compare it to young Norma while

2024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread  Apr 14 2024, 05:00:03 PM

It’s literally a cardboard cut out. A reference to how they do the scene in the show where they have a cardboard cut out of ALW for humour. It’s probably the same one that was in the show lol. 

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy  Apr 14 2024, 04:16:50 PM

A killer night for Sunset at the Oliviers, Best Revival, Actress, Actor, Director among others. They couldn't have asked for a better time! I know awards don't always mean much (after all, "Back to the Future" won best musical a couple years ago!). But so nice to see this recognition. Truly one of the greatest theatre experiences I've ever had. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You