pixeltracker

Which of Bernadette Peters' Tony snubs bothered you more, 'Into the Woods' or 'Follies'?- Page 2

Which of Bernadette Peters' Tony snubs bothered you more, 'Into the Woods' or 'Follies'?

BroadwayBaby2012
#25Which of Bernadette Peters' Tony snubs bothered you more, 'Into the Woods' or 'Follies'?
Posted: 4/26/14 at 10:29pm

It is completely untrue that Bernadette withdrew from nomination consideration. If you do the research you will find that is not supported anywhere. In fact, when she was not nominated there was much speculation that some nominators may not have chosen her because she left the show before the end of the season. As a late replacement when Betty was let go during rehearsals, Bernadette was able to negotiate an unusually short commitment to the show which meant she was not in the show come Tony time. If you check with the Tony Awards administrative committee, you will find that no one has ever requested that they not be considered for a nomination - only that a few have declined their nomination after it was announced ie. Julie Andrews. Bernadette was entirely eligible and simply not nominated. Rumors of a request to not be considered are not accurate.

Updated On: 4/26/14 at 10:29 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#26Which of Bernadette Peters' Tony snubs bothered you more, 'Into the Woods' or 'Follies'?
Posted: 4/27/14 at 3:04am

Annoyingly John Yap has not released Victoria Clark's record of IN BUDDY'S EYES and LOSING MY MIND. She sounded wonderful in FOLLIES.

I love that red backdrop. It was blinding.

I get chills as I think about the slow walk off stage.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000