Jordan Catalano
#2First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 11:01am

How can you revise perfection?

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#2First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 11:15am

I don't know, Jordan, I think it's read-day for a change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t9mKiPMV_E

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#3First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 11:24am

In the immortal words of Arte Johnson on Laugh In

"Very interesting". This should be fun.

Poster Emeritus

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#4First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 11:57am

Wow. Interesting that there's a completely new book. Since it's the same composing team as before, I wonder if the score has been improved any.

A large part of me would love to see the old version mounted exactly as it was before in all its hilariously awful glory.

Edit: I just saw where it says the score is a mix of "new numbers and jukebox songs", which makes me wonder if they're going to include 'You Don't Own Me'.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 6/30/14 at 11:57 AM

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#5First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 12:01pm

As atrocious as the score was/is, it's the book that was truly wretched.

beautywickedlover
#6First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 12:17pm

^ At least they realized they needed a new writer for the book. I still don't think the material is very promising.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#7First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 12:43pm

Can't wait to see what kind of D-list talent this show attracts.
You guys remember years and years ago when the producers "announced" their wish list? It included: Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing, Queen Latifah, Bernadette Peters, and Megan Mullally.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#8First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 12:44pm

I didn't like this film so I cannot imagine liking the musical. Maybe I'll be proven wrong...we'll see.

Broadwaystar2
#9First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 12:46pm

We'll I know Audra McDonald was part of this past presentation/reading. So who knows.

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#10First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 12:50pm

Did anyone notice that per the announcement, the score will include "classics" as well? I bet they're shoehorning in some of Holland-Dozier-Holland's Motown tracks since the FIRST WIVES originals are so anemic.

"Wedding Belles"

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#11First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 1:04pm

We certainly are getting a lot of bizarre tryouts in Chicago. The Last Ship (huge buzz and a flaccid result), Amazing Grace (zero publicity or buzz), Ghost Brothers of Darkland County (personally looking forward to this one), First Wives Club (luckily, the general public know nothing of the first production), On Your Feet (not expecting much other than perhaps a few fun songs and hopefully energetic choreography) and N - The Queen of Paris (can't quite figure out what this is supposed to be, but it certainly has an awful title).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#12First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 1:05pm

"We'll I know Audra McDonald was part of this past presentation/reading. So who knows."

She and Sherie Rene Scott and Lily Taylor were involved in a reading of the film's screenplay for charity. But the idea of those three skipping around a kitchen block belting "I'M RED-DAY FOR CHANGE!!!" makes panty puddin'.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#13First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 6/30/14 at 2:47pm

I wonder if the score has been improved any.

God I hope not.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#14First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 7/1/14 at 3:29am

They would be stupid not to have You Don't Own Me in this- i mean, it's pretty iconic from the film and people remember the song and the movie together.

Darreyl with an L!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 7/1/14 at 7:50am

If came anywhere near this, the Tony committee would immediately ask her to return all of her Tonys to them..

Poster Emeritus

beautywickedlover
#16First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago
Posted: 7/1/14 at 11:57am

First Wives Club pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago

I'm guessing the people behind this musical thought people became interested in the movie and the show again thanks to a quote from this young lady. Thanks a lot Jenny. LOL. Still love you though.

Updated On: 7/1/14 at 11:57 AM