pixeltracker

Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews- Page 6

Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews

MVintheheartland
#125Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 1/31/15 at 7:59am

I saw the show last week, and also have mixed emotions. I really want it to succeed, it was sort of fun, but some serious flaws, which were perhaps result of my own experience. First of all, I had just seen "Cabaret" that afternoon with Emma Stone, and was blown away by the whole production, especially the end. So, "Honeymoon" was definitely a change of pace.

The whole wife dying of melanoma was sort of funny, but sort of icky. I am a nurse, and have seen this, it isn't nice.

The Hawaiian tour guide was offensive to me. The "Friki Friki" song just made me squirm. I haven't really followed the whole racist conversation, but the character sort of seemed unnecessary and the song was just stupid.

The concept, of course, is underlying icky, but I get it, it's Broadway.

So, it was mildly entertaining, I thought the actors did a great job, some fun numbers, but the book needs some cleaning up. (and PLEASE get rid of the Friki Friki song!)

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#126Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 2/1/15 at 5:19am

"Do you or others here think the production treats Betsy as worthy of how her fiancée treats her?"

I certainly do.

Spoiler:

She chooses to go back to her fiance after he has literally sold her to pay off a bet. If the production were commenting on how his behaviour was wrong, they could have had her leave him over the disgust that his treatment of her inspires, and he could learn not to treat the people he says he loves as worthless property.

The whole show is so steeped in sexism that some of us find it hard to separate that ugliness from the overall experience, even if it has some positives (e.g. the tap dancing, Nancy Opel).

And i agree with the comments so far on Friki Friki - i thought that it was a horrible song and that whole scene was very discomfiting.

Add to the disgusting book and plot mentioned above some less-than-great singing, a lousy score, and forgettable sets, and all too soon the cheerful, energetic opening number and Nancy Opel's entrance fade into distant memory as the show wears on. I was hopeful for a fun night during the opening number and Nancy Opel's song, but it went quickly, irredeemably downhill from there.

eyehrtfood
#127Honeymoon in Vegas Reviews
Posted: 2/1/15 at 5:43am

So interesting to see the different takes on this show... This 40-something man, his 40-something wife and college-age daughter (her second visit) found the show a total, fluffy, inoffensive (in every way) delight, from start to finish when we saw it last weekend.

For those offended by the "sun illness" song, we found it to be an innocent, "are they really doing this?" hoot.. though can understand the angle you're coming from (though, as one who lost a father and grandfather to heart attacks, it's surprising how commonly heard the flippant term "I almost had a heart attack..." is said in society and no one seems to blink or think ... and if there were a song about hear attacks in the show, I doubt anyone would be offended....Why is that?)

Updated On: 2/1/15 at 05:43 AM