pixeltracker

LADY BE GOOD at CITY CENTER/ENCORES- Page 2

LADY BE GOOD at CITY CENTER/ENCORES

yfs
#25LADY BE GOOD at CITY CENTER/ENCORES
Posted: 2/8/15 at 11:29pm

How about the score, the twin pianos, the dances, the orchestrations, the vocal arrangements...

Perhaps you liked Drowsy Chaperone better because it's about a modern person's obsession with shows like Lady, Be Good, rather than an actual example of one, and there's no crime in that. But maybe you needed a leading character to put the whole thing in context for you, instead of getting on the time machine yourself. No crime in that, either, but I can't believe you expected a show from 1924 to actually be any more sensible or integrated than the one that's being parodied in Drowsy Chaperone. I just felt so happy to see a real one done with such panache and expertise. Thrilling. To me, that is.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#26LADY BE GOOD at CITY CENTER/ENCORES
Posted: 2/9/15 at 11:03am

According to the notes in the program, even Adelle Astaire thought the musical book clunky and that was back in the 20's.

I like 20's fluffy musicals as much as the next person.
I just didn't think this was good fluff.

I found the score only had two real gems in it: Lady Be Good and Fascinating Rhythm.
The overture played these two songs repeatedly during the overture making the overture redundant.

As for 20's musicals, I do like No No Nannette, The Boyfriend (albeit 50's take on the 20's) Nice Work if You can Get it (yes a reworking) and most of the Astaire/Rogers Movies of the 20s and 30's:Flying Down To Rio, Top Hat, Shall We Dance. I love every Marx Brother Movie which are similar to the msucials of the twenties. I just found the book to Lady Be Good annoyingly insipid, predictable and ludicrous. I was more annoyed than entertained.

Look I'm grateful for Encores. It's a great group. Gentleman Prefer Blondes was amazing. I'm glad Encores revived it and I got to see it. I think Randy Skinner is a genius. Not taking away from the great work of the actors, director, choreographer etc... just underneath is a musical that isn't that interesting.

15minutecall
#27LADY BE GOOD at CITY CENTER/ENCORES
Posted: 2/9/15 at 11:32am

Please cite Adele's "clunky" quote. Encores' own notes admit she initially found the book tacky and the plot weak but Fred thought the show had a new kind of sound and flow (opposite of clunky). It's the sound and spirit that made the event a pure pleasure for me, with much more to recommend in its score than only 2 songs.

yfs
#28LADY BE GOOD at CITY CENTER/ENCORES
Posted: 2/9/15 at 4:01pm

Agreed about the score: Half of it Dearie Blues, I'd Rather Charleston, So Am I, all terrific -- admittedly not standards, but really fun to hear and hard to get out of your head. And Swiss Miss is so strange and roped in from somewhere else, I just loved that moment because it made so clear what was acceptable in another time. Oh well...we like what we like. And not.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#29LADY BE GOOD at CITY CENTER/ENCORES
Posted: 5/19/15 at 5:31pm

I just saw that Ghostlight will be releasing the cast recording this summer.

LADY BE GOOD at CITY CENTER/ENCORES

....but the world goes 'round