pixeltracker

Arden Directing "Merrily" In LA- Page 5

Arden Directing "Merrily" In LA

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#100Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 12/21/16 at 1:37am

Still looking for a playbill from this production if anyone can help me out. Pm me :)

bk
#101Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 12/21/16 at 6:56pm

LA reviewers are, for the most part - LA reviewers.  It was a dreadful production of a show that simply will never work, save for a handful of folks who always think it works because for whatever reason, material that doesn't resonate with most people (at least as told in this fashion) does resonate with them.  The book, whether the original or with all these endless revisions, will never work, and while some directors can finesse things, cast it well, and move it along, most audiences cannot stand the show.  Once you get rid of the Sondheads and musical theater fans, there's no one left to see it. 

The set was atrocious (what a concept, not), but for me the lighting was even worse - I'm sick to death of moving lights and vapor lights, and the hoary let's blind the audience with an upstage bank of lights lights - this is a director constantly saying "Look at ME, I did this, this is about ME, ME, ME."  Just do the damn show.  Save me from your "vision."