"Dear Evan Hansen" - NO

Jose Profile Photo
Jose
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2"Dear Evan Hansen" - NO
Posted: 5/30/16 at 6:10pm

Hmmm... I loved both Bright Star and American Psycho (especially American Psycho), but Dear Evan Hansen was one of my favorite things I saw all of last season - up there with American Psycho in my book! 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

NYactor85
#3"Dear Evan Hansen" - NO
Posted: 5/30/16 at 6:25pm

I'm happy you liked American Psycho and Brit Star (2 very underrated musicals) and not to start anything I don't fully understand your criticism for Dear Evan Hansen.  Seems like it just didn't click?  Never seen the show. appreciate the reviews

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#4Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 5/30/16 at 6:32pm

I love the thread title. just NO

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

mailhandler777
#5Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 5/30/16 at 6:34pm

I love all 3 shows. While I didn't see DEH off broadway I did see it in DC. 

Like 2 posters above me said it seems it just didn't click with you. I'm definitely not a teenager that you say the show is geared towards. I personally think it will do great on broadway. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)
Updated On: 5/31/16 at 06:34 PM

JM226
#6Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 5/30/16 at 6:44pm

easily the most poorly written review I have ever read in my life. what do you actually do for a living? hopefully nothing to do with words. 

E. riley
#7Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 5/30/16 at 7:15pm

Interesting.Have not seen Bright Star. Saw DEH yesterday with my 16 year old daughter ( target demographic??) She really loved it and she can be critical. I had mixed feelings. I loved Ben Platts performance for the most part and the woman playing his Mom.

Found the first act intriguing and quite strong but the story faltered for me in act two.I thought it pandered a bit and got wobbly. I didn't want to rain on my girls parade though so I just gave myself over to it and thought....good -not amazing.

American Psycho we saw for a second time last night. Mutual theatre love fest for both of us. It's brilliant.

I kind of get the NO but I would say....mmmmmOK. 

Updated On: 5/30/16 at 07:15 PM

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#8Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 5/31/16 at 5:20am

The assumption that DEH's audience is those who've been through social anxiety and ATTEMPTED SUICIDE is ridiculous at best. By the same logic, Miss Saigon only appeals to those whose mothers KILLED THEMSELVES to give their kids a better future and Sweeney Todd to those who...well...Please excuse my imagination. Social anxiety is not something to be taken lightly because everyone is to some degree suffering it. And I believe DEH appeals to more because it mirrors parents' struggle pretty well and they would revel in "So Big / So Small." 

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#9Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 5/31/16 at 5:04pm

Hmm, I disagree on DEH. While I didn't adore the show as much as many others (I think mostly the music didn't click for me personally) I thought it was a great and so important story. The broad themes reminded me of The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. I do not have any social anxiety nor have I experienced suicide, nor have I been in any extreme situation like that. It's also been a few years since I was a teenager. But I think many people can identify with being out-casts, being lonely, feeling different, especially during their HS years. It's most certainly real, and I thought the show had a good grip on that. Maybe you were always one of the popular kids, and never had to deal with any of that - you're lucky then. But don't discard it as "unrealistic" because you've never been in a situation like this.

I left the show thinking that every teenager should be REQUIRED to see this show, and maybe some would understand that them being awful to other kids really does affect them, and that it can affect them badly. And maybe they'll be a little more mindful and a little more kind.

So I think it's relevant to not only teenagers, but also people who used to be teenagers, and for parents.

Gpvegas
#10Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 6/1/16 at 9:15am

I disagree with you regarding Dear Evan Hansen.  As I read the way you write, it did make me laugh when you commented on how you thought DEH was poorly written.  I question your ability to think outside your narrow view when you say the only audience is someone has been affected by or attempted suicide or someone with social anxiety.  I did not find Ben Platt to be too mature.  I guess you do not know many teenagers as some can seem too mature as well.  

When I read the review it made me picture a older contrarian at the theater watching the show. Much like Michael Riedel watching Hamilton.  Some one determined to hate the show. 

Updated On: 6/1/16 at 09:15 AM

PJPan
#11Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 6/1/16 at 10:30am

"The show was over-produced–sliding panels gliding on and off, back and forth, onto with were projected images of teen-age emails and instant messages. The reason for these being, I suspected, to distract the audience and maintain attention while masking the fact that nothing was truly happening."

Or it was a visual explanation of how a video goes viral and sets up much of Act Two, where various characters onstage and off begin to take on a cause they have no connection to, simply to be a part of something bigger. Evan went from being a nobody to having the spotlight thrust on him (further complicating his actions). Having worked in high schools for years, students (and adults) frequently find ways to connect themselves or their experiences to a tragedy in order to feel connected. While (to me) Will Roland and Kristolyn Lloyd's characters were not terribly likeable, they reminded me of many students I've taught.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#12Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 6/1/16 at 10:33am

JM226 said: "easily the most poorly written review I have ever read in my life. what do you actually do for a living? hopefully nothing to do with words. "

LMAO

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

plzstp
#13Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 6/1/16 at 10:33am

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#14Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 6/1/16 at 11:40am

This show sounds like a safer, maybe cuddlier, version of "World's Greatest Dad."

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#15Dear Evan Hansen - NO
Posted: 6/1/16 at 11:50am

Jose's ability to convey valid ideas and compelling critiques: NO

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)