pixeltracker

Leona Lewis can't act, but she can sing!

Leona Lewis can't act, but she can sing!

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#1Leona Lewis can't act, but she can sing!
Posted: 8/15/16 at 7:05am

I was so happy to return to "Cats" after all these years and found the production to be incredible!  It was Leona's performance which was just plain bad.  She cannot act: at all!  During intermission everyone was talking about how bad she was.  I still say if you can sing "Memory", you've redeemed yourself and boy could she sing it!  She gave me chills and I have never heard it sung like that before.  She's even more amazing than that preview clip we saw on this website. 

On a side note, I was talking with one of the ushers who said Jessica Hendy played the part in the original run and she's the whole package.  She can not only act it but she can sing it as well.  He said audiences are disappointed to see she's out, but they are loving her performance and  leave very happy.

From what I heard Leona isn't in it for very long, so a return visit is in order as soon as she leaves.  I do hope a new recording will come out but I doubt it.  It would be nice to have her rendition preserved on tape since you can only hear her and don't see her!

On a side note, I missed the cats being cats.  They used to act like cats more by grooming themselves and  the others and well just being cats.  Now, I saw it happen maybe twice for a moment.  In the original production, you saw cats, but now I saw people dressed up as cats.  Forgiving that, the production is outstanding and the smaller orchestra did not hurt the show in any way.  It sounded spectacular!  

trpguyy
#2Leona Lewis can't act, but she can sing!
Posted: 8/15/16 at 8:41am

I've seen both of them in the role. While Ms Lewis' acting does leave a bit to be desired, in my opinion, Ms Hendy's acting was way more than anyone could ever desire. It was over the top, even in the context of the rest of the show. 

They both have fantastic voices. Some people criticize Lewis for starting too small or timid; but on the other end of the spectrum is Hendy, who had little dynamics and left nowhere to build for the climax of Memory. On top of that, her backphrasing was to a degree I've not experienced in decades. I felt bad for the maestro, to be so blatantly ignored like that...

I may just be overly picky, others around me seemed to love each of them. In any case, whether you love or hate whoever is playing Grizabella, with this production, it's not enough to make or break the show. 

All things being relative, I believe Lewis is around longer than "not very long." Somebody close to her said "at least 6 months, probably a year," but didn't know for sure.

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#3Leona Lewis can't act, but she can sing!
Posted: 8/15/16 at 8:46am

And here I thought she was only in it for 3 months.  Could Hendy sing the song as well as Lewis though?

trpguyy
#4Leona Lewis can't act, but she can sing!
Posted: 8/15/16 at 9:00am

They're both enormously talented singers. I cared for Hendy's "Memory" less than Lewis's, but apples and oranges really.

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#5Leona Lewis can't act, but she can sing!
Posted: 8/15/16 at 9:47am

I figured that Hendy is not as good singing wise but at least she has the whole package of singing and acting.