pixeltracker

Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui @ CSC- Page 2

Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui @ CSC

clowchan
#25Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui @ CSC
Posted: 11/4/18 at 10:35pm

MarilynMonroeSmash said: "clowchan said: "MarilynMonroeSmash said: "clowchan said: "Cesare2 said: "Well, at least it ended not with the chanting of "Heil, Hitler!," but "Lock her up!""

lolwut. The only chants they used were "sieg heil!" and "Arturo!". Seen this twice already and made note of it.
"

Cesare2 is correct. If you listen carefully at the very end of act one the chant changes to "Lock her up!" for about two lines.
"

I listened again and at the end of Act 1 "sieg heil" was used. Believe me, I listened to a recording of it a few times.Of course I only saw it on 30th and 31st and going by that. They could have changed it now.

Believe me, I went on Friday November 2nd and they were using "Lock her up!" at the end of Act 1.

"

Then they must have changed it after the 31st which is interesting. I'll be seeing it again in Dec so very curious about this and other changes that may happen  between that time

#26Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui @ CSC
Posted: 11/8/18 at 12:32pm

I went last night.  Definitely heard "lock her up" but I think it was the end of Act 2...not Act 1.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#27Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui @ CSC
Posted: 11/14/18 at 9:34am

YoungSally said: "I went last night. Definitely heard "lock her up" but I think it was the end of Act 2...not Act 1."

Yes, I was there last night and they definitely used “lock her up” at the end of the second act.

Anyway this is Brecht after all, so it’s not the easiest show to sit through but I think I ultimately liked it. Raul is terrific. It’s one of the better things CSC has done in recent years.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

VintageSnarker
#28Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui @ CSC
Posted: 11/14/18 at 3:41pm

Theater3232 said: "I've found most of their shows to be overly-long with cheap/nonexistent sets and hard to follow. Is this more of the same? How many people have been walking out at intermission? If someone is bored in the first act, would that person think the second act is just as boring? I wonder if this theater company will continue to be around if they can't get people to buy tickets (besides papering) and word of mouth is so poor with so many of their shows."

I liked Peer Gynt and Carmen Jones. I can't remember the Shakespeare play they did (not a good sign). It might have been As You Like It. That wasn't great. But since John Doyle took over I've had a mostly positive impression of their shows. There certainly hasn't been anything as messy as Mother Courage. But then I don't see all of their shows. My impression is that the musicals sell pretty well. 

wonkit
#29Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui @ CSC
Posted: 11/14/18 at 5:30pm

I saw this last week. Full disclosure - I loathe Brecht because I do not go to the theater to be told how to think and the Brechtian style seems to require this. A lot of incredible stage images in this production especially the scene between Arturo Ui and the actor who coaches him in how to enter and stand and walk and speak. Raul Esparza at the top of his game in the Julius Caesar speech when he transforms gradually from a weakling gangster to an ambitious person with vision. The entire ensemble is brilliant but the Brecht always gets in my way which seems unfair to the performers and is just me not liking Brecht.  The final scene is terrifying but I wish they would not bring in the modern chant. Leave it at Hitler at his most inhuman and let people make the connection if they want to. And a percentage of the audience clearly will. Good to have Esaprza back in live theater. He knows exactly what he is doing every second onstage. Can't wait for his Hamlet next spring in Chicago. He's ready.