pixeltracker

Douglas Sills & Alexandra Socha To Lead Encores’ MACK AND MABEL?- Page 2

Douglas Sills & Alexandra Socha To Lead Encores’ MACK AND MABEL?

Sonia&Vernon Profile Photo
Sonia&Vernon
#25Mack and mabel
Posted: 7/10/19 at 9:20pm

suzycat said: "Does it bother anyone that Sills & Socha are 30 years apart in age?"

Robert Preston was 30 years older than Bernadette Peters. 

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#26Mack and mabel
Posted: 7/10/19 at 9:53pm

Charley Kringas Inc said: "jv92 said: "'Viertel's theory, like his book, is glib. And it's time for him to step down from his post as Encores! Artistic Director, too....'

And the point he's making is that the first scene and the first song don't jibe, so yes, the problem is the scene that comes before the song. You agree with his point!
"

The Ron Link production on which I worked was 45 years ago and it was a "revisal" of the Broadway production the year before. (In addition to the new ending, he gave Lisa Kirk's part to Marilyn Cooper, but all her songs to Tommy Tune!) I don't recall having any problem with the opening; I know I wasn't "confused" about the show to come. But I, too, was a devoted fan of FOLLIES. LOL.

Speaking of which, that may point to the problem: perhaps M&M needed to be directed by Hal Prince or Michael Bennett instead of Gower Champion (who tried and failed with some of the same themes in THE HAPPY TIME).

As I said, I love Socha's recordings and would love to hear a revival recording with her as Mabel. (The Youtube clip isn't fair: she was just learning the song.)

Until that day, however, to me the definitive "Look What Happened to Mabel" is Paige O'Hara on the British benefit recording (which features a different woman as Mabel for each number). Anyone who loves the score should have that recording. (Full disclosure: Paige and I went to high school together and have been close friends for nearly a half-century.) Here's a link to Paige's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nQnaqU5qD4

rattleNwoolypenguin
#27Mack and mabel
Posted: 7/11/19 at 11:02pm

I need to underline as someone who's done this show,

this is one of the WORST books of any musical. Truly.

The dialogue is awful. Like stunningly stilted and eyerolling. 

It's just dull. The story is not engaging cause it's essentially a biopic. 

I don't think there is saving it. What would a rewrite do? Better dialogue maybe, but it's still gonna be this plodding episodic thing.

There is not one engaging character. Mack is a sexist piece of **** and you're stuck with him the whole show.

It should always just be performed as a concert.

Also as a note, Samuel French doesn't give you a bound script. They give you a WORKING SCRIPT. There is no official libretto, like Michael Stewart threw up his hands and just said "whatever"

Updated On: 7/11/19 at 11:02 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#28Mack and mabel
Posted: 7/13/19 at 2:39am

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "
Also as a note, Samuel French doesn't give you a bound script. They give you a WORKING SCRIPT. There is no official libretto, like Michael Stewart threw up his hands and just said "whatever""

That's weird, because I have the usual, published edition of M&M from Samuel French back in the late 1970s. I don't recall if it qualifies it as a "working script".

As I said above, Michael Stewart threw his opening night tix at me and said something about going back to France. (I don't mean to suggest he was unkind to me; he was just very upset with Ron Link's revisions and probably didn't mean to throw tickets AT me.) I think that's as close to "whatever" as you're likely to get.

A successful M&M is possible, IMHO, but would have to find a way to stretch the romantic tension through Act II. Maybe forget historical fact and invent additional romantic obstacles. Make Mack the person Mabel runs to during her later struggles with scandal, drugs and artistic failures.

As for this business of Mack Sennett being such an unlikeable character, I don't understand it at all. Yeah, he's gruff, but no more so than Henry Higgins, Billy Bigelow, or Georges Seurat. What's interesting is how his unacknowledged love for Mabel softens him a little and makes him more than just a tyrannical director. Keep THAT theme going through Act II and you'd have a chance at a successful show, even with the sad ending of Mabel's death.

arsol
#30Mack and mabel
Posted: 8/22/19 at 12:47pm

Charley Kringas Inc said: "Because the book sorta sucks. Great tunes, but you’re never given much of a reason to pay attention to either of these increasingly crabby people as they swirl the drain. I like the concept but it really needs a firecracker rewrite to truly sell the disparity between the jubilant score and the agony of the plot."

Just passing along a little rumor...

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#31Mack and mabel
Posted: 8/22/19 at 12:58pm

I do not remember seeing casting for Encores announced so early. There must be a reason. I am curious what it is?