TSMrW's vocal coach

IssaMe
#0TSMrW's vocal coach
Posted: 6/5/03 at 6:17am

Hey, Dollypop - I know this is minor news compared to the great new "Hello Dolly" CD release, but Gary Kline, the voice and musical theater workshop teacher at Carnegie Mellon's School of Drama has released his own vocal CD titled "Lucky" (no date anywhere listed - no label listed either).

Kline has coached some of the most successful performers currently on the Broadway scene since 1989...and Carnegie Mellon, of course, is one of the country's leading theater schools.

Patrick Wilson is a Mellon graduate and does a duet with his coach on the CD.

They do a medley of "Brother Can You Spare a Dime", "Dream", and
"Smile". It is quite effective.

So is a rather bizarre pairing of "Send in the Clowns" (sung beautifully by Margaret Whiting) and in counterpoint "This Nearly Was Mine" (sung by Kline)...musically the two songs don't really mesh, but lyrically it really works (think about it).

Wonder what Mr. Sondheim would think of this blending of one of his most famous lyrics with one of the lyrics of his mentor Oscar Hammerstein (didn't Sondheim once say that if Hammerstein had been a dentist, Sondheim would have become a dentist too).

It is an odd little CD (done in Pittsburgh) but there are some truly nice things on it - a duet with Sally Mayes of a Johnny Mercer/Barry Manilow collaboration ("Love is Where You Find It/At Last"...both titles used by other songs that were previously hits).

And a simply touching, heartbreaking little Stephen Schwartz/Alan Menkin ballad about breaking-up titled "Cold Enough to Snow".

Recordings by TSMrW are so rare that even one track in duet is worth it.

prof Profile Photo
prof
#1re: TSMrW's vocal coach
Posted: 6/5/03 at 6:44am

Wow, what a find! That is why I love this board -- we keep each other updated.

Thanks for the info!!

"Sing out, Louise!"

IssaMe
#2re: re: TSMrW's vocal coach
Posted: 6/5/03 at 7:24am

You are obviously a Honk fan.
Did you see Peter Pan & Wendy in Philadelphia?
Went down three times to see it in December and loved it...can't wait for the CD later in the year, although assume it won't be the cast from the Prince Theater in Philly. Alas, then on the cast CD, probably no Innvar and Fruge (the two Floyds). Have you heard anything about it?

Videos