News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Meet John Doe - the musical

do_re_milla Profile Photo
do_re_milla
#0Meet John Doe - the musical
Posted: 8/3/04 at 12:48pm

Be still my heart! 2 fellas that I knew in the BMI Musical Theatre Work Shop wrote this show: Andrew Gerle & Eddie Sugarman. I'm all aglow for them!

Just got off the phone with Andrew. What a doll of a guy, terrific pianist, arranger, a winner of the Richard Rogers Development Award. Eddie's lyrics can be filled with wit & humor. Indeed, I had lots of fun singing Barbara Stanwyck's part in Ball of Fire at BMI for which Eddie wrote the lyrics. (Yes, in my dreams I've got the build to play a stripper!)

Christiane Noll is doing Stanwyck's role. Yippee!

Below is the link for the show.

Milla
John Doe

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#1re: Meet John Doe - the musical
Posted: 8/3/04 at 12:51pm

I heard Julia Murney sing a song from this project and it was fantastic. I wish the creative team the best in moving this project forward...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2Best of Luck to Heidi Blickenstaff!
Posted: 3/16/07 at 11:44am

Meet John Doe, the new musical version of the old Frank Capra picture, gets its second major regional production this season starting March 16 at Ford's Theatre in Washington, D.C.

The Andrew Gerle-Eddie Sugarman musical had an earlier test in November 2006 in a production by Goodspeed Musicals at the Norma Terris Theatre in Connecticut. That staging was not open to critics, and some changes were made to the cast and creative team between engagements.
Meet John Doe, the Musical, Gets World Premiere at Ford's Theatre

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

do_re_milla
#3Best of Luck to Heidi Blickenstaff!
Posted: 3/16/07 at 12:47pm

Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, I love Raph Fiennes' quote. Thanks for that, as well.

Milla Updated On: 3/16/07 at 12:47 PM

do_re_milla
#4Also
Posted: 3/16/07 at 12:55pm

Since I posted the orig message in this thread. Andrew moved & I've lost touch w/him. If anyone has his new contact info, pls PM me. I saw him when he played for Donna Lynne Champlin's "Finishing The Hat", but didn't know he'd moved...

Much appreciated.

Milla

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#5Also
Posted: 3/16/07 at 1:54pm

"Meet John Doe" is a terrific film with such solid story-telling.

I wish them the very best of luck with their musical adaptation.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#6Also
Posted: 3/16/07 at 2:03pm

Ok, please don't shoot for asking this.

Is this the movie that Meet Joe Black was based on? I thought Maury Yeston was adapting that movie.

....but the world goes 'round

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#7Also
Posted: 3/16/07 at 2:36pm

Yes, I read about this on the [tos] blogs, The Blickenstaff is in it. Wish I could go to DC to see it. Also

Good Prattle, my very NYC-friendly interview website: http://www.goodprattle.com

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#8Also
Posted: 3/16/07 at 2:40pm

No... Meet Joe Black was based on "Death Takes a Holiday."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

otis33 Profile Photo
otis33
#9Also
Posted: 3/16/07 at 2:50pm

YAY for Heidi Blickenstaff!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#10Also
Posted: 3/16/07 at 3:02pm

thanks B12B.
I think Yeston is doing an adaptation of that movie (Holiday).

I like to be very supportive of new writers (as I am one too Also)
so I hope the show kicks ass!
I think Caroline Q T-boo is seeing this show this weekend.

....but the world goes 'round

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#11Also
Posted: 3/16/07 at 5:52pm

Thomas Meehan joined the creative team in 2005 to take over where the late Peter Stone left off, and that's the last I've heard of "Death Takes a Holiday"..I know Antonio Banderas was connected to it at one point, but that was a couple of years ago as well.

I hope the "Doe" stage version is a worthy adaptation of the film; it's one piece I've looked forward to seeing on stage.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

Blonde Profile Photo
Blonde
#12Also
Posted: 3/16/07 at 5:59pm

I had the opportunity to see this show last night at Ford's, and it definitely gets the thumbs up. The cast is great all around, and Heidi Blickenstaff is wonderful. She really gets a chance to shine in this as there are so many different facets to Ann. What a voice! I didn't get a chance to watch the film before I saw this (sadly, as I wanted to see exactly how they adapted it) but it holds on its own. Even so, I do know a few things about it, and for those of you who HAVE seen the film, and get a chance to see this show, you may find one major alteration in the musical. I've probably said too much already.

Anyway I hope their opening is wonderful tonight and this gets some solid reviews. See it if you can!

shalom kitty

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#13Also
Posted: 3/16/07 at 6:36pm

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
Updated On: 3/17/07 at 06:36 PM

KChenowethfan
#14Also
Posted: 3/17/07 at 11:08pm

I saw the show tonight- very solid production. Heidi Blickenstaff was a standout. None of the songs were really memorable to me, but there weren't any major clunkers.

Show was going great until the fire alarm went off and we all had to evacuate.

But they finished well.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

bandit20
#15Meet John Doe
Posted: 3/18/07 at 2:06am

Not memorable? Dude. I saw it tonight too and the score sort of rocked my world. Off the top of my head "I'm Your Man", I Hope You Can See This" "He Speaks to Me"...um, what else...oh the "Money Talks" number with the crazy guy and the nerdy jerk guy doing cartwheels. I can't get that one out my head.

Get out of my head!!

Best new musical I've seen in years. I'm glad I stayed to finish the show. Don't blow the ending anyone!

wheredidhegogeorge2
#16Meet John Doe
Posted: 3/18/07 at 2:21am

I saw the production at goodspeed with donna lynn chaplin and want to say that with some revision it has the pitential to do some great things. So congratulations to the show and I just wanted to wish it the bestuck.

KChenowethfan
#17Meet John Doe
Posted: 3/18/07 at 11:11am

Well, some songs were more memorable than others. My problem was the lack of diversity- save for some of the ensemble songs.

bwayfascination
#18Meet John Doe
Posted: 4/15/07 at 12:19pm

I got to see this show last night (on the anniversary of Lincoln's assassination in the theater, no less). It's a really interesting show, with so much potential. I thought both Heidi and John Moye were fantastic. It would be interesting to see the production develop. It struck me that the ensemble needs to be bigger (way more people) and to be more of a central character in the show. But the costumes, the production, the "look and feel" were absolutely perfect. I hope the production keeps going.

Videos