Sugar Babies Musical

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#0Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:52am

A theater in my area is doing a production of Sugar Babies. Has anyone ever seen this show, and is it worth seeing? Any opinions would be appreciated! Sugar Babies Musical

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 10/10/04 at 09:52 AM

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#1re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:05am

Hello Again Millie... :)

I never saw SUGAR BABIES, but my parents did. It is an old-fashioned "vaudeville/burlesque" show that is chock full of corny jokes, 1940s chorus girls in scanty outfits, etc.

Like most things, whether or not you would like it is strictly a matter of personal taste. It does seem to attract a "more seasoned crowd."

One note of caution: It takes a VERY UNIQUE STRONG cast to pull off. The original production starred Ann Miller and Mickey Rooney and stayed on Broadway for three years. Management sent out a road production with Carol Channing. It died in a few months.

I hope I have helped! :)

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

wildparty20 Profile Photo
wildparty20
#2re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:05pm

I saw a summer stock production of the show a few years ago. It was a lot of fun... IF you're in the correct frame of mind. As Mary-Ethel said... it is burlesque and corny. However with a good cast it can be fun and entertaining. It has some of the classic burlesque sketches in it (example, "Meet you around the corner in a half 'a hour). I had a great time... the cast made the production I saw... I can't imagine how painful it might be without an entertaining cast.

From the evil she done Lord Set her free, Set her free, Set me free Don't let my sorrow Make evil of me

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#3re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:08pm

I was in a local production of this show. It is riotlously hilarious and so much fun. the songs are really cool and the dancing is great! PM me if you want more info... I also have the CD of it!

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#4re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/11/04 at 5:54pm

I saw the Broadway production in June 1982 and since it seemed tailor made for Ann Miller and Mickey Rooney it's hard to imagine another set of leads doing those roles.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

DottieD'Luscia
#5re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/11/04 at 6:11pm

Was the tour with Rooney and Miller prior to opening on Broadway or after?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Skempp Profile Photo
Skempp
#6re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/11/04 at 8:05pm

I was at the University of Tennessee's Clarence Brown Theatre, when Ralph Allen, et al, wrote and produced Sugar Babies before taking it to Broadway with Miller and Rooney. Can't say I was that impressed with it then. And, I agree, it really was written with them in mind. I suppose if it were camped up it would be o.k., but I wouldn't pay money to see it again if you put a knife in my back. Some of my distate for the show was the way Ann Miller and Mickey Rooney behaved around the theatre students. Rooney was a real curmudgeon and Miller was just a diva.

BTW, Ralph Allen recently died walking down a Manhattan street.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/11/04 at 8:49pm

It played in NYC @ the Hellinger which was the old Warners Hollywood theater. It started life as an actual vaudeville theater so the setting was perfect. I saw it & remember seeing it & enjoying it immensely. The dog act was great

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/11/04 at 08:49 PM

Eyemakeup3 Profile Photo
Eyemakeup3
#8re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/12/04 at 2:39pm

It was pure joy watching it during the Broadway run.

"Real friends are very special, but you have to be careful because sometimes you have a friend and you think they are made of rock, then suddenly you realise they're only made of sand." Maria Callas (American soprano. 1923-1977)

#9re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/12/04 at 2:49pm

Another thing that made the original run so great is they gathered a lot of the old vaudville players to do some of the acts - it was great fun watching the old-timers do their thing.

DottieD'Luscia
#10re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/12/04 at 3:38pm

Did anyone see it while Ann Jillian was still with the show? When I saw it, Jane Summerhays was there. I also believe Susan Stroman was in the ensemble at one time.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#11re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/12/04 at 7:07pm

I saw it with Jillian. After he brief stint on a TV series, she seemed to have vanished off the face of the earth

Poster Emeritus

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#12re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/12/04 at 7:44pm

Ann Jillian now does mostly inferior TV-Movies, although she did play Mae West in one and was Dainty June in the Roz Russell version of GYPSY!

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

DottieD'Luscia
#13re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/12/04 at 8:00pm

I think the last thing I saw Ann do was in the late 80s when she played herself in some made for TV movie.

Jon
#14re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/13/04 at 12:18am

Channing's co-star on the tour was Robert Morse.

jsdhzm
#15re: Sugar Babies Musical
Posted: 10/23/04 at 12:01am

ANN JILLIAN IN CONCERT ON OCTOBER 30, 2004 AT THE STATE THEATRE IN NEW BRUNSWICK NJ 7:00 PM WITH FULL SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA!
FEATURING SUCH GREAT SONGS AS WIND BENEATH MY WINGS, I'VE GOT RHYTHM, 12TH OF NEVER, I'LL BE SEEING YOU, ORANGE COLORED SKY
PLUS MORE! GOLD CIRCLE SEATING INCLUDES COCKTAIL AFTER PARTY
WITH LIGHT FARE AND ANN JILLIAN IN PERSON!

ALSO FEATURING WORLD RENOWNED DRUMMER GREGG FIELD ON DRUM SET
IN WEST SIDE STORY AND BOLERO!

For more info: www.edisonsymphony.com

or call the Arts Society at 908-753-2787

All tickets must be purchased through the State Theatre Box Office

Don't miss this most exciting event!
Edison Symphony Orchestra

Videos