Actor's Pay...

pndmnd
#0Actor's Pay...
Posted: 1/21/05 at 7:25pm

I apologize if a thread of this already exists. I tried to do a search, but didn't come up with anything helpful. How much are actor's paid on Broadway? I know that the minimum for an Equity contract on Broadway is somewhere between $1300 and $1400/week, but how does it go up from there? How do they determine what roles and what actors get paid what?

Jon
#1re: Actor's Pay...
Posted: 1/21/05 at 7:32pm

The actor's agent negotiates salry. Anyone with a few Broadway shows under their belt is probably earning a feww hundred dollara above minimum, even for an ensemble role. Featured performers probably get in the $2000 to $3000 range, and leads up to $10,000. Of course, "stars" such as Hugh Jackman make anywhere from $20,000 to $50,000 a week!

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#2re: Actor's Pay...
Posted: 1/22/05 at 1:38am

I've been curious about it too. How much the agent takes? 30%? And is it the same for the touring production or tour is less?

broadway_star_tomorrow Profile Photo
broadway_star_tomorrow
#3re: Actor's Pay...
Posted: 1/22/05 at 1:41am

tours usually make a lot of money, because they get a per diem as well as salary.

AKA Idina Pashmina

Type_A_Tiff: There's nothing hard about her. Broadway_star_tomorrow: Yeah. Her arteries.

broadwayguy2
#4re: Actor's Pay...
Posted: 1/22/05 at 1:41am

agents can only take up to 10 percent.

first class tours make the same minimum as broadway contracts, and they only are payed a weekly perdiem.

Jon
#5re: Actor's Pay...
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:11am

Depending on how you choose to live on the road, an actor on tour can make a ton of money. You are usually given the choice of a few different hotels in different price ranges, and have the choice of doubling up with a roommate or having a rom to yourself. If you also are sensible about how many fancy restaurants you eat at, you can pretty much live off your per diem and put your salary into a savings account.

I know a couple who spent two years on the road in a National Touring company. They saved enough money to buy a house!

Of course, this is assuming you have either sublet or entirely given up your NYC apartment!

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#6re: Actor's Pay...
Posted: 1/25/05 at 1:54am

>I know a couple who spent two years on the road in a National Touring company. They saved enough money to buy a house!

Wow, are they the lead in the show? And did they buy a house in NYC???

Yeah, a lot of touring company cast get roomies and if they are given a choice to stay a place (hotel/apt) with kitchen, they go for a kitchen one so that they can cook and save dining cost. But touring for a long period of time would be tiring too especially if it's a week long engagement and move to another cities week after week.

Jon
#7re: Actor's Pay...
Posted: 1/25/05 at 6:45am

No, they were in the ensemble. This was 25 years ago. They were each able to put $500 a week into savings. After two years, they had $100,000. They bought a big house near Chicago.