Big River Cast Requirements

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#0Big River Cast Requirements
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:33pm

I know the number of men and women but doesn't anyone have a list of characters with approximate ages, genders, and/or vocal parts?

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#1re: Big River Cast Requirements
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:47pm

This isn't quite what you were looking for, seeing as it was for the Deaf West production, but it should give you some idea.
http://www.livejournal.com/community/bigriverrevival/11914.html

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#2re: Big River Cast Requirements
Posted: 2/28/05 at 8:00pm

But is it still the same production that R&H sells...minus the sign language?

Musetta1957
#3re: Big River Cast Requirements
Posted: 2/28/05 at 9:59pm

Yes, although Deaf West changed some things (deleted Tom Sawyer's "Hand for the Hog" and put a shorter version of Huck's "Waitin' for the Light to Shine" earlier in the show).

AnothaPartofMe
#4re: Big River Cast Requirements
Posted: 2/28/05 at 11:23pm

Huck has always sung "Waitin' for the Light to Shine" early in the show before he does the gospel version in Act II.

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...

Jon
#5re: Big River Cast Requirements
Posted: 2/28/05 at 11:25pm

The original version of Big River was done with a cast of about 20:

Male Principals: Huck Finn (tenor), Jim (Baritine)Tom Sawyer(tenor), King, Duke, Pap (all older characters - baritones)

Plus two younger white men, two older white men, two black men who play multiple roles

Women: (all play multiple roles) 2 white older character women, 3 white young girls, 1 black young girl, 1 black older woman

Musetta1957
#6re: Big River Cast Requirements
Posted: 3/1/05 at 2:07am

" Huck has always sung "Waitin' for the Light to Shine" early in the show before he does the gospel version in Act II."

Oh, okay. I've seen Big River five times, but only the Deaf West version. Someone who was in a regional production a few years ago told me Deaf West had changed that part. Guess they were wrong. Thanks!