News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK

Matymatmat
#0VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 7/10/05 at 2:39pm

hey guys looking for some good voice teachers in New York City - preferably upper east side
Moving there in August and am looking for some advisement to the matter

IveGottaBeME
#1re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 7/10/05 at 3:57pm

Tania Travers is amazing.. worked with Idina

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#2re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 7/10/05 at 4:15pm

Susan Pilar is an excellent teacher. She's also an acting coach too.

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

makenzimarciano
#3re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:14pm

Do you currently work with Tania? I've been studying with her for almost 2 years now and I love her. She's the greatest. :)

"Every blade of grass has an angel that bends over it and whispers, "Grow, grow." ~The Talmud

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#4re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:19pm

Lorraine Nubar, the head of the Juilliard Pre-college vocal department, but you have to be recommended.

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#5re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:32pm

Not on the UES.. but a great client roster is http://www.lizcaplan.com

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#6re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:33pm

Dave Sabella, from what I've heard...but that was a while ago. Don't know if he still teaches.

This is my signature.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#7re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:37pm

Melissa Hart is wonderful - and a terrific (and constantly working) actress. she's midtown west, and worth every penny. I understand that Victoria Clark is a wonderful teacher also - if I could afford to right now, I'd approach her about studying with her, as I love her style and think she's one of the finest actors working on Broadway these days.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

alli2
#8re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:42pm

could someone please PM me with the phone number for Tania Travers? I'd be grateful! Thank you!

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#9re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK

Does Victoria Clark still teach and how much does she cost? Thanks!!

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

Love4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
#10re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK

I would LOVE to be able to work with Victoria Clark one-on-one!

As far as David Sabella, I've heard mixed things. Also, he only teaches if he's not in a show, so his schedule varies.

Liz Caplan definitely has an impressive client roster.

http://preppylife.tumblr.com/

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#11re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:44pm

I was told by a former acting teacher about Victoria Clark - so I have no idea whether she teaches at the moment (probably pretty taxing when you're doing 8 shows a week) but I'm sure if you wrote her via the theatre you could find out.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Yorkie1276
#12re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:46pm

I've heard from friends that Miss Clark is very good but not cheap.

Broadwaygal2
#13re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:48pm

I have studied with David for almost two years and after studying with several other teachers in the city I can say that I would be hard pressed to find someone better. He is not in Chicago anymore, but even when he was, I had the same lesson time every week. It RARELY varied. I am not sure what you mean by mixed reviews, but I have never heard anyone who studied with him have anything but positive things to say. In fact to many of his students actually book work he does have openings on a pretty regular basis now. (It took me six months to get a lesson with him when I started.) Hope this helps. PM me if you want his contact info. He's great.

DTC Profile Photo
DTC
#14re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/12/05 at 5:01pm

A resounding YES for David Sabella -- I never really considered myself a singer until I started working with him. True, he is sometimes on standby for "Chicago", but only occasionally.

Now that the summer is coming to a close, his schedule is filling up quickly, so try to get an appointment with him as soon as you can arrange it!

http://hometown.aol.com/sabellanyc/

Songsstresss Profile Photo
Songsstresss
#15re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/14/05 at 12:25am

I too am moving to NYC in September and need a new teacher. I am looking for someone who can focus a lot on technique. Any other suggestions?

PJ
#16re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/14/05 at 1:57pm

Where can I get the contact info for Tania Travers?

MTRBOI24
#17re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/14/05 at 3:00pm

Judith Farris is great. She has taught Matthew Broderick, Jeffry Denman, Brian Duguay, Donna McKecknie, Marcia Lewis and many others. When Donna was having vocal problems she worked through them with Donna and help get past them.

Sporti2005
#18re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/14/05 at 5:40pm

i second lorraine nubar.

both born2c and i have worked with her and agree that she's really pretty good.

she is, however, primarily classically minded - but has great ideas about technique.

"grace, you're stuffed in a box getting rid of ass plaque. let's face it, this evening is a bust."

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#19re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/14/05 at 5:40pm

Will Bryan..has many clients in RENT and Phantom/ works miracles with messed up voices.

Songsstresss Profile Photo
Songsstresss
#20re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 8/15/05 at 4:59am

Thanks so much! Thought I would give this one more bump to see if anyone had any more suggestions! I want to explore as many options as possible.

LBB23
#21re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 5/9/08 at 2:29am

I know a lot of people (including me) who use
Stephen Purdy. His teaching is really on the ball for music theatre singers like me.
His website is www.manhattanvocalcoach.com
and I think he is charging 80 an hour.
Hope it works out!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 5/9/08 at 3:03am

Thanks, Stephen!

You're about three years too late, but hey, better late than never!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

broadwayboy223
#23re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 6/8/15 at 10:49pm

Does Victoria Clark still teach voice? I would be interested in taking a voice lesson from her whenever I make a trip to NYC

Replacement Cast Profile Photo
Replacement Cast
#24re: VOICE LESSONS NEW YORK
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:45am

Adrienne Angel.

Nice is different than good.

Videos