pixeltracker

How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph

How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph

Yankeefan007
#0How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:28pm

This is a story I heard from one of my friends. How he outsmarted about 300 Wicked/Rent fans.

He saw See What I Wanna See the other night. During the curtain call, she waved and mouthed to two of her friends "I'll see you in a minute." The lobby, like usual, was filled with Wicked and Rent fans. Hundreds. There was even a girl in an "I heart Idina" shirt. One person had even held a Wicked poster on her lap during the entire performance. After seeing the crowd in the lobby, he knew Idina would never come out. So he went outside towards a side exit and spotted a car waiting. Ten minutes later, out comes Idina, followed by her friends and driver. He walks behind her. Calls out "Ms. Menzel, do you have a minute?" She turns around, gives a "come here" wave. He walks behind her until she says "Catch up!" He walks next to her and her two friends. Then the conversation begins. He told her he loved the show and that he had seen Wicked. She asked him if he saw the Rent movie and what he thought of it. Then, 1/2 a block later, they got to her car. She graciously signed an autograph, said 'goodnight' and left. He got back to the lobby just in time to hear them announce that everyone had left, including Idina. There were very loud moans and complaints from the disappointed crowd.

I hope that dispells the "she's mean" rumors.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#1re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:32pm

no, but it's another prime example of the scary-obssessed-menzelites that are out there.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#2re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:33pm

Cute story.
I mean if a performer really inspires you, I think it is so amazing to get to meet them.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999
Updated On: 12/4/05 at 09:33 PM

BSoBW2
#3re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:35pm

I'll have to agree with Marquise - and say to post this story is not a good idea.

There's a reason she leaves another way - to avoid people. Not to be secret and piss people off.

SweetQintheLights
#4re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:39pm

I agree with Marquise also.

Idina was probably being gracious to your friend even though she was probably thinking something else.

"There's a reason she leaves another way - to avoid people. Not to be secret and piss people off."

I agree 100%

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

defygravity73
#5re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:39pm

Yeah, she's so "not mean." It's beyond kind of her to sign an autograph for someone who stalked her to her car while ignoring the fans that, honestly, put her in the position she's in - something she does all the time lately. She's gotten a little too full of herself.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#6re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:40pm

She felt the need to say "I'll see you in a minute" during the curtain call? Wasn't she going to see them in a minute?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BSoBW2
#7re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:41pm

"She's gotten a little too full of herself."

But can you blame her? If you have people all over you - it happens. She's only human. She hasn't become a bitchy diva - she just knows she has a lot of "younger" fans who can go "overboard."

___

Rath - I also noticed that. Weird she'd say that - oh well! Updated On: 12/4/05 at 09:41 PM

Yankeefan007
#8re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:41pm

The show is no longer being performed. Her 'secret exit' no longer matters as she won't be performing there any longer. I waited to post this until it closed, just for that reason. So nobody could do the same thing.

If all of the screaming Idina fans go to the 'secret exit' they'll be waiting a while. A long while.

Updated On: 12/4/05 at 09:41 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#9re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:42pm

Now all of the crazy fans are going to try what your friend did.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

BSoBW2
#10re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:43pm

^ That's what I meant.

It isn't about the "Exits" - it's about "stalking her means you will get an autograph" concept.

re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#11re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:45pm

how has she gotten full of herself.
put yourselves in her shoes.
if she left through the public theatre lobby she would never get out!
simply too many fans and too many kids would be there shoving cameras and various rent/wicked paraphenalia in her face to sign.
i've been a witness to this.
it's not a pretty sight.
her fans should just be happy with the fact she gave them a great performance.
she's not obligated to come out to that lobby and sign anything for anybody.
if this kid went so far as to "corner her" then i guess she had either one of two choices: be gracious or just shoo him away.
the FACT she didn't shoo him away says ALOT.
she could have easily done so and totally would have been within HER RIGHT.

BSoBW2
#12re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:48pm

I would have shoo'd...

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#13re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:49pm

If she is so concerned, why be so stupid as to mouth "I'll see you in a minute" during the curtain call? The people she was speaking to could then EASILY be followed.

At least give your full attention to the entire audience until you get offstage. Is even that too much to ask these days?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BSoBW2
#14re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:51pm

This is true, Rath.

Although, I suppose she wasn't expecting stalkers to be watching her.

And who knows WHAT she did.

Yankeefan007
#15re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:52pm

To clarify, he didn't follow her friends.

RentBoy86
#16re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:53pm

Exactly. Yeah, all those crazy obsessed fans, helped make her "famous" in the theater world, but at the same time, she isn't obliged to go out of her way and spend her entire evening signing posters and CDs from a show she is no longer with and hasn't been with for some time now. I dunno, I just don't see it as that big of a deal. Although, I'm not the type of person to stage door anything just because I feel like an obsessed fan and I don't like that.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#17re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:53pm

It was the curtain call. Anyone in the theater could have been - and most likely was - watching her.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#18re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:55pm

Now why didn't I think of that? I'm so jealous of your friend.

ANYWAY - if I were her, I'd have a car waiting outside of a side exit as well. In fact, I'd take a pay cut to not have to deal with crazy people.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BSoBW2
#19re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:55pm

But this isn't a first hand account. He could have seen her give a head wave to someone...Whatever.

Anyway - the way the public works...
I was there and had been talking to someone who works for the theatre about something and I heard that her sister had no idea where to find Idina...Just sayin'...
Updated On: 12/4/05 at 09:55 PM

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#20re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:58pm

"Idina was probably being gracious to your friend even though she was probably thinking something else."

Ding ding ding.

I can't believe people on here have nerve to say she's gotten too full of herself. I think the real problem is that so many of her fans have this HUGE sense of entitlement about all things Idina.

"the FACT she didn't shoo him away says ALOT."

Thank you, Marquise. That was awfully nice of her, especially since finding her "secret" way out isn't the most respectful of things to do.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#21re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 10:00pm

She probably just assumed that he has some mental disability. I mean, wouldn't you have done the same?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#22re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 10:01pm

"If she is so concerned, why be so stupid as to mouth "I'll see you in a minute" during the curtain call? The people she was speaking to could then EASILY be followed. "

No...security would not let them by.

BSoBW2
#23re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 10:02pm

That's the price of beauty...

PJ
#24re: How one of my Friends Got Idina's Autograph
Posted: 12/4/05 at 10:03pm

Silly me. I thought everyone already knew about Idina and her secret exit.

Videos