Sherry! the musical

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#0Sherry! the musical
Posted: 12/26/05 at 2:57pm

I jsut bought it today (going to listen to it on a car ride later on) and I was wondering if anyone has heard/seen it. I found the story behind the lost score very interesting. it's incredible that they were able to find it. So, if anyone has heard anything about it, please post here. Thanks!

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

#1re: Sherry! the musical
Posted: 12/26/05 at 10:48pm

Its the play The Man Who Came to Dinner put to music. I was in the play last year (I was the Expressman) and saw the CD at Barnes and Noble and gawked.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#2re: Sherry! the musical
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:13pm

yeah, never saw the play (is there a movie version?) if not, I'm going to read the play. the music is pretty good. going to put a song or two in my radio show when I get back to campus. James Lipton (Inside the Actors Studio guy) plays a small part and I would never have known. He actually seems upbeat and cheerful. He sort of looks dull and bored on the show. Unfortunately, didn't get that much detail of the story from the music. But really want to know more of it.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

neddyfrank2
#3re: Sherry! the musical
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:18pm

I own the Cd, I dont think that the music is all that great it all sounds the same to me. But the voices on it are Gorgreous. So it is worth istening to it just to hear them!

kjklo
#4re: Sherry! the musical
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:30pm

The Hollywood movie version of the play, with Bette Davis (1942), is not great, but is moderately funny and entertaining, and definitely worth watching. It's a good preview to the CD.

EadieWasALady Profile Photo
EadieWasALady
#5re: Sherry! the musical
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:34pm

Read the play and forget the rest.

roquat
#6re: Sherry! the musical
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:34pm

One of those "Forgotten Musicals" recordings has a track of the title song being delivered by Christine Baranski and the guy who voiced the evil Jafar in "Aladdin." Marvellous stuff. I can only imagine how Dolores Gray delivered it.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#7re: Sherry! the musical
Posted: 12/27/05 at 10:31am

The recording is a huge disappointment. The ony thing worth hearing is the title song "Sherry".

As the previous messenger said, it was done a hell of lot better on the
Unsung Musicals C.D. with Christine Baranski and Jonothon Freeman. I laughed out loud and hummed along. This version made me want to hear the rest. Alas, that was the only good song! And I bought the 2 cd Sherry with no hummable redeamable or enjoyable songs.

The name of that CD (w/ baranski) is Unsung Musicals. Buy that and laugh and save money. You will also hear unsong songs from LaStrada, Smile, The First (Jackie Robinson Musical) Welcome to the Club and Drat the Cat.

Unfortunately, this full Sherry is a dud. The Carol Burnett Nathan Lane Version of Sherry (and yes I am a fan of both) can't hold a candle to the Jonothan Freeman/ Christine Baranski version of the title number on Unsung Musicals.
(and I'm not a Baranski fan)

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#8re: Sherry! the musical
Posted: 12/27/05 at 10:31am

The recording is a huge disappointment. The ony thing worth hearing is the title song "Sherry".

As the previous messenger said, it was done a hell of lot better on the
Unsung Musicals C.D. with Christine Baranski and Jonothon Freeman. I laughed out loud and hummed along. This version made me want to hear the rest. Alas, that was the only good song! And I bought the 2 cd Sherry with no hummable redeamable or enjoyable songs.

The name of that CD (w/ baranski) is Unsung Musicals. Buy that and laugh and save money. You will also hear unsong songs from LaStrada, Smile, The First (Jackie Robinson Musical) Welcome to the Club and Drat the Cat.

Unfortunately, this full Sherry is a dud. The Carol Burnett Nathan Lane Version of Sherry (and yes I am a fan of both) can't hold a candle to the Jonothan Freeman/ Christine Baranski version of the title number on Unsung Musicals.
(and I'm not a Baranski fan)

#9re: Sherry! the musical
Posted: 12/28/05 at 12:38am

My directors got a hold of a straight play verison of the Man Who Came to Dinner w/ Nathan Lane, from like 2000.

Check Amazon.

Videos