Cats - huh?

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#25re: Cats - huh?
Posted: 4/9/06 at 9:12am

Cats was the first theatre experience I had, and it holds a special place in my heart. It's not the best thing to ever appear on a stage, but the entire design of the piece at the WinterGarden was rather stunning. After seeing it on Broadway, and then on tour and then in London, i'll admit that the experience was not the same as it was in NY, but nonetheless, it was 2 hours of fluff that you could just sit back and enjoy. I swear, those who hate it, are those who tried waaaay to hard to find deep meaning in it.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

MaronaDavies
#26re: Cats - huh?
Posted: 4/9/06 at 11:12am

I think it would follow logic that ANY show that runs for 18 years would be popular with tourists. If it were only popular with New Yorkers it would run for a season and close.

Broadway isn't "Broadway" because of New York audiences alone. That would just be "regional theatre" then.

I agree that because it's a "mood piece" and the music is catchy the show can succeed (if it's danced and acted by a particularly adept cast) without much understanding of the English language. It would come off more as a curious dance recital with a big set and some cool effects. But the T.S. Elliott poetry is probably this show's most unique feature. If you take away the words, you take away the main draw of what makes this special and unique. I've heard people complain that they couldn't (physically) understand the words, particularly on the various tours. That, to me, is a tragedy and the kiss of death for anyone trying to embrace this show.

Well, that's a given. No show can last in NYC without the tourist dollars. I also agree that Eliot's words were the best and most unique, aspect of the show.

However, I'd wager that most of the folks that went to see CATS, especially in the last years, really couldn't have cared less about TS Eliot's poetry. They went because it was a show they recognized, one they could watch and understand without a translator, and one that was suitable for all ages.
Updated On: 4/9/06 at 11:12 AM

jimnysf
#27re: Cats - huh?
Posted: 4/9/06 at 11:46am

I did not like "Cats" either when I saw it years ago at the Winter Garden. I think the the reasons for it's long run were 1). The special effects ("spaceship") which hadn't been seen on Broadway before (it was before "Phantom" and the helicopter in "Miss Saigon") (2) the TV commercial that used to run a lot and (3) it seems every singer in the world sang "Memory" on record or on a TV variery show. I know many people who saw this show but I would say most of them claim to have disliked it. But to each his or her own. Some people like "Lestat", too.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Colle
#28re: Cats - huh?
Posted: 4/10/06 at 3:34pm

I saw a U.S. tour of "Cats" in 1999. When I went to the show, I was not sure what I would think about it. It is not my favorite show, I don't think any show could replace Les Mis as my favorite, but I did end up enjoying the show. "Cats" was fun to watch and upbeat.

#29re: Cats - huh?
Posted: 4/10/06 at 4:51pm

I'm still guessing why Les Mis is anyone's favorite show.

Back on topic, I'm seeing CATS in June and cannot wait. I had TSE's book as a child and absolutely loved it.

Holly Therese Profile Photo
Holly Therese
#30re: Cats - huh?
Posted: 4/10/06 at 5:54pm

I guess what it all comes down to is, "to each his/her own."

"You know, with the right volume, Patti LuPone can make a car bounce, too...." -Wonderwaiter