The Full Monty

west end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
#25re: The Full Monty
Posted: 7/16/06 at 10:32pm

They were also planning for the show to tour the UK again in 2007 but the tour has been scrapped.
I watched it at the Manchester opera house on it's tour and they were about 200 people in the audience(the theatre holds almost 2000 people)and some people left after act 1.I found some of the music quite good but thought the story had lost all of its edge.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#26re: The Full Monty
Posted: 7/16/06 at 11:56pm

PS it was never called THE FULL MONTY:UNCUT they just tagged the UNCUT on the poster to try and up the ticket sales.
They weren't really any changes made for the UK version just a few lines here and there.

Oh, children, it was a JOKE! It was not retitled for the UK. I was making a joke about U.K. cast vs. U.S. cast. Do I need to spell it out?? Oy!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 7/16/06 at 11:56 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#27re: The Full Monty
Posted: 7/17/06 at 5:25am

Financially, THE FULL MONTY was a hit and paid off within its first year. Critically, it received mostly positive reviews with quite a few raves. Audiences loved it. But... a lot of Americans are put off by nudity and anything "gay" and FM offered a lot of gay+ subtext and the threat of full frontal nudity. It never quite developed the long term box office stability it needed to become one of those multi-year musicals.

Still, it was very very good. (I think the opening song "Scrap" is one of the best opening numbers in years. Unfortunately some of the rest of the score is wildly uneven. "Let it go" just repeats that phrase and while the audience wasn't paying attention to the words, on the OCR it doesn't come across with the same energy because the song is weak.)

But PRODUCERS came along and did everything better. Bigger more elaborate sets, big name stars, a traditional Broadway-styled score filled with "simple hummable show tunes" to use Jerry Herman's phrase, and a book packed with funny jokes. And while FULL MONTY was a hit, PRODUCERS was a must-see smash, sold out for months.

We didn't have BWW in 2001, but at the time PRODUCERS was expected to win the majority of awards. That it did the unprecedented sweep of every category was surprising. (The big upsets were Christine Ebersole's win as Best Actress: Everyone assumed Marla Schaffel had a lock on that for playing Jane Eyre; and FOLLIES was widely believed to have Best Revivial sewn up until 42ND STREET came along the day before the season ended.)

About the only award PRODUCERS got that should maybe have gone elsewhere was lighting design. (JANE EYRE had brilliant lighting, while PRODUCERS was merely well executed.)

But in the end...so what? FULL MONTY had a successful Broadway run and continues to please audiences in regional theatres.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#28re: The Full Monty
Posted: 7/17/06 at 9:30am

Do you really think the score for "The Producers" is better than the score for "The Full Monty?"

Oy indeed.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Videos