News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
bwayguy22089
#1PQ Review
Posted: 3/14/07 at 1:21pm

I just saw the Pirate Queen last night. Let me start off by saying it was a very good show. The cast was amazing, both the leads and the ensemble. It is a great ensemble show, as they are in almost the entire performance. All were fantastic singers, actors and dancers. Both Stephanie Block and Hadley Frasier were beyond amazing. Their voices are wow!!! The music was a tad boring at times, but at other times, was completely beautiful. Also the set (which does resemble Wicked at times lol) was beautiful to look at. For the first 20 minutes I wasnt so sure that i was going to like it, but as the show progressed it got much much much better. They still need to do a little work (some of the sword fighting and several scenes were a little....all over the place), but I'm sure by the time it opens, NY will be ready for it. Personally, I dont think the show itself will get good reviews, however the cast def. will. Hopefully, people wont listen to the reviews and will see it anyway. It was a very powerful, moving, and beautiful show. Stephanie J. Block won me over last night. She better be up for a Tony.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#2re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/14/07 at 2:17pm

Thanks for the review, bwayguy.

Any chance that you noticed changes to the show based on what others have written?

SayitSomehow
#2re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/14/07 at 4:56pm

Awesome review, thanks!

fachedaluna Profile Photo
fachedaluna
#3re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/14/07 at 6:46pm

Yeah, another one for the Pirate Queen show and cast!

Thanks bwayguy.

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#4re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/14/07 at 10:26pm

After the beating critics gave the show in Chicago I thought the show would flop...but now I'm pretty sure it's going to be a success no matter what the critics say! Great news for a very talented cast!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#5re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/14/07 at 10:43pm

The crowds are eating it up and the numbers are the highest I have seen for previews in a long time.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#6re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/14/07 at 10:43pm

Irish BUMP Updated On: 3/14/07 at 10:43 PM

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#7re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/14/07 at 10:58pm

I really, really hope this show succeeds. *crosses fingers*

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

bwayguy22089
#8re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/15/07 at 12:09am

yeah the audience was packed. im pretty sure it was sold out. and it recieved a very well deserved standing ovation. they are def. still making some changes. during intermission crew even came out to change some of the scenery that i guess wasnt working. because i am a wife/the woman that i am was cut, which made me sad cuz i really liked that song. also, i think steph needs a big song near the end of the show, like an 11 oclock number. but its still great.

SayitSomehow
#9re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/15/07 at 12:14am

We should petition for that 11 o clock number I think. Even if they throw in "Because I Am A Wife" at any time. What's 5 more minutes? The plot might be in the same exact spot as before she sings the song, but at least audiences will go "MMMM!! GO GIRL!"

It would improve reviews of the score and just please the crowd.

Just do it

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#10re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/15/07 at 12:28am

They could cut the sillyness of "She Who Has All," just give QEI the "So it was a man" part and let her explain why she lets Grania go, then after Grania sees what's happened to her people in Lament she sings it.

"And so it is that / I must reclaim my fame / My people, land and my sea / Chained to this hell I am not / For I am and always will be / The Pirate Queen!"

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#11re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/15/07 at 7:12am

"Sea of Life" is clearly supposed to be the 11 o'clock number. They've done wonderful things with the staging of this song for NY, but it's still just another very pretty ballad, and not something that energizes the audience and the show.

"Woman" is such a powerful song, I would love for that to be one of the last things audiences and critics hear. I'm still hoping for one more reprise to pop up.

Regardless of all this I think the show is going to do well. The New York critics will probably complain endlessly about similiarities to Les Mis and so on, but I expect TV and national critics like USA today will be positive. I have no doubt that Pirate Queen will have pages of enthusiastic pull quotes to use in its Spring ads.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

danhattan
#12re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/15/07 at 10:44am

I hope the reviews are good. It would be incredible to see a show change it's course so drastically. I agree with Tech, no matter what the reviews say, they will have fantastic quotes to pull. "Amazing dancing" "Incredible singing!" "Stephanie J. Block gives a powerhouse performance." I could go on and on. I think this show will rely on word of mouth and marketing and that people will ignore/forget any bad reviews. Audiences are loving it.

I doubt "The woman that I am" would ever make it back. It was a great feature for Block but did not do her justice. I personally liked the song but it's lyrics were clunky and the audience response was much less than she deserved. I wish they would actually insert it back for a night just to see if the audience would like it better in this version. The audience definitely cares more for Grace and seems to be much more on board then they were in Chicago so maybe the song would fare better in this version. Hmmm

Thanks for the review Bwayguy! Glad you enjoyed it!

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#13re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/15/07 at 4:15pm

I know, but I had to get that verse out of my system. :P

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Starlight2 Profile Photo
Starlight2
#14re: PQ Review
Posted: 3/15/07 at 4:17pm

I really enjoyed "The Woman That I Am", but I think "Woman" is amazing as well! Stephanie brings so much energy and emotion to both songs.

Tech...I agree about "Woman" being a powerful song. So glad they've included it in the show!

Count me among those who think this show will do well!

"But never lose track of who you are because you have to look at yourself in the mirror every day and you have to feel good about the way you behaved." --Linda Balgord
Updated On: 3/16/07 at 04:17 PM

Videos