Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG

Yankeefan007
#1Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/18/07 at 6:51pm

I had absolutely no knowledge of William Finn's music (beyond the "Spelling Bee" score) as I walked into the tiny 5th New World Stage. I knew of his shows - Elegies, Falsettos, Spelling Bee - but nothing beyond the titles. Thankfully, for this incredibly pleasant revue of Finn's music, all you needed was to know how to have fun.

Make Me A Song: The Music of William Finn is an treat for any Finn fan and a very pleasant diversion from the real world. Featuring what I assume are his best known songs, the 90 minute songspiel has no real plot, beyond showcasing everything which Finn wrote about - homosexuality, Judiasm, how homosexuality affects one's Judiasm, and Finn's animosity for republicans.

The four member ensemble, Sandy Binion, D.B. Bonds, Adam Heller (almost playing the role of "Finn"), and Sally Wilfert, joined by Darren Cohen on the piano, was very strong.

Wilfert brought the house down with her 11 o'clock (well, 4:25) rendition of "Anytime." You could tell by her shocked expression that the 30-second ovation was longer than it ever had been. Binion's facial expressions were priceless. Bonds has a very nice voice, full of emotion. And Heller has excellent comic timing, delivering the 4-part "Republicans" number with wonderful flair. He's also the most versatile of the bunch, bringing the audience to tears with "Unlikely Lovers" from Falsettos.

And yes, the audience was in tears. Nearly every single person with a heart was in tears by the end of the "Falsettos Suite."

Rob Ruggiero's staging worked very well on the tiny stage. Luke Hegel-Cantarella's set (was there one?) and Alejo Vietti's costumes were unremarkable, but fit the piece well.

Finn's music, played on a baby grand by Darren Cohen, is pleasant and very hummable. He must be the only composerssince Jerry Herman to be able to craft a simple, little melody and run with it.

That the final few numbers, "When the Earth Stopped Turning" and "Anytime" were particularly moving and struck a chord with me was no surprise, considering I'm still mourning the loss of my grandfather two weeks ago. Perhaps MAKE ME A SONG was just the catharsis I needed.

Yankeefan007
#2re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/18/07 at 7:23pm

Forgot to mention...noticed Stephen Schwartz in the audience. He was in a completely empty row in the center of the orchestra...I just assumed he bought out the whole row!

Yankeefan007
#2re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/18/07 at 9:48pm

bump

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#3re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/18/07 at 11:54pm

Thanks for the word on the show Yankee! Is it open ended?? I'd love to catch it next time I'm in the city, which probably won't be until March. I heard that "I Have Found" is in there; how was that song...I love listening to Carolee Carmello sing it on the Infinite Joy album.

Cheers,

Christopher

www.christopherviolett.com

MrAmySpanger Profile Photo
MrAmySpanger
#4re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:11am

this makes me want to see makemeasong that much more!
sounds amazing, thanks for the review.

Yankeefan007
#5re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/19/07 at 6:37am

I do believe the show is open ended.

All of the songs sounded incredible. For me to pick just one would be a crime.

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#6re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/19/07 at 7:55am

I saw the show last night, and found it entertaining. I was glad I didn't know most of the songs, it made the evening better. The singers were wonderful, and the best part was the Falsetto's medley. That final moment was perfect. Lovely evening.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#7re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/19/07 at 10:53am

I want to see this so badly!!!

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Yankeefan007
#8re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/19/07 at 2:47pm

Yes, it was a very lovely production.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#9re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/24/07 at 4:47pm

Thanks for the review. How Did I miss this review last week!

J*

Updated On: 11/24/07 at 04:47 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#10re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/24/07 at 4:58pm

Does anyone have the list of songs featured in MAKE ME A SONG? its not on their website.. Pls helpppppp !

J*

http://www.makemeasongthemusical.com/

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#11re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/24/07 at 5:04pm

"Mister, Make Me a Song" (a song written for Mandy Patinkin for an intended Finn evening);
"Heart and Music" (from A New Brain);
"Hitchhiking Across America" (written for a proposed musical about thumbing it across the U.S.);
"Republicans" (recurring comic pieces, written "either during Reagan's last term or Bush Senior's only term," now laced throughout the show and sung by the Finn persona on stage, Adam Heller);
"Billy's Law of Genetics" (from A New Brain, with an arrangement by Jason Robert Brown);
Passover (written for Elegies: A Song Cycle);
"Only One" (inspired by teachers of Finn, about from Elegies);
"I'd Rather Be Sailing"/"Set Those Sails" (from A New Brain and In Trousers, respectively);
"Change" (from A New Brain);
"I Have Found" (from the unproduced musical, The Royal Family of Broadway);
"You're Even Better Than You Think You Are" (written for a show - Songs of Innocence and Experience - to honor a new theatre built on the campus of Finn's alma mater, Williams College);
"All Fall Down" (heard in both America Kicks Up Its Heels and Romance in Hard Times);
"Stupid Things I Won't Do" (from The Royal Family of Broadway, penned for Elaine Stritch, who appeared in a developmental reading);
"That's Enough for Me" (from Romance in Hard Times);
"I Went Fishing With My Dad" (written while Finn was penning Songs of Innocence and Experience);
"When the Earth Stopped Turning" (a personal song of loss);
"Anytime" (written at request of Finn's dying friend, Monica Andress, for her funeral).

The show's Falsettos suite includes "Four Jews in a Room Bitching," "A Tight-Knit Family," "Love Is Blind," "My Father Is a Homo," "Trina's Song," "March of the Falsettos," "The Year of the Child," "The Baseball Game," "Unlikely Lovers," "Falsettoland." The vocal arrangements for the suite are by Michael Starobin, Carmel Dean and Michael Morris.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#12re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG
Posted: 11/24/07 at 5:07pm

Thanks Folky! re: Thoughts on MAKE ME A SONG

J*

Videos