pixeltracker

"SWEENEY TODD the Best Pic of 2007"- Page 2

"SWEENEY TODD the Best Pic of 2007"

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#25re: 'SWEENEY TODD the Best Pic of 2007'
Posted: 11/30/07 at 6:25pm

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a Very Very Positive from Jeffrey Wells at Hollywood Elsewhere:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archives/2007/11/sweeny_todd_rev.php

Johnny Alba at the Oscar Igloo thought that the Tim Burton essentials (atmosphere, art direction, etc.) were top-notch, but that there wasn't much in the acting department besides an "A+ Johnny Depp performance).

A full review will be up soon.

http://theoscarigloo.blogspot.com/2007/11/sweeney-todd-our-buzz.html

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 11/30/07 at 06:25 PM

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#26re: 'SWEENEY TODD the Best Pic of 2007'
Posted: 11/30/07 at 6:30pm

I'll go out on the limb and say right now that Johnny Depp will win the Best Actor Oscar. He is due, he is well-liked and voters want to reward him, and there really haven't been many buzzed-about Best Actor contenders. (Actually, in general, this year has been a pretty low-key one for movies.)

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

BustopherPhantom
#27re: 'SWEENEY TODD the Best Pic of 2007'
Posted: 11/30/07 at 6:32pm

Yeah, I'd put a tab on Johnny to win also, considering how "overdue" (I HATE that concept) he is.

...and there really haven't been many buzzed-about Best Actor contenders...

What about Daniel Day-Lewis? The man is a God in Hollywood, and is getting the typical raves for THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

The way I see it, the Best Actor race is going to be between Depp and Lewis.

-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 11/30/07 at 06:32 PM

Jon
#28re: 'SWEENEY TODD the Best Pic of 2007'
Posted: 11/30/07 at 6:57pm

But DDL already has an Oscar. "My Left Foot" was his "role of a lifetime". Sweeney may be Depp's.

BustopherPhantom
#29re: 'SWEENEY TODD the Best Pic of 2007'
Posted: 11/30/07 at 7:07pm

That's true, and I still think Depp is the frontrunner.

But if anyone could wrestle the award away from someone who's never won one, who everyone wants to win one, it's Daniel Day-Lewis. I'm just saying.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#30re: 'SWEENEY TODD the Best Pic of 2007'
Posted: 11/30/07 at 7:40pm

Ahhh but a lot of those who hate musicals don't seem to mind music videos (which are in themselves mini-musicals in sense). Actually, honestly when I meet a person who says they hate musicals, they've generally only seen two, and they're Oklahoma and Guys and Dolls. I think this will still appeal to a lot of people who claim they hate musicals.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

BustopherPhantom
#31re: 'SWEENEY TODD the Best Pic of 2007'
Posted: 11/30/07 at 7:48pm

But SWEENEY TODD isn't a "music video musical", like CHICAGO and, to an acceptable extent, DREAMGIRLS.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#32re: 'SWEENEY TODD the Best Pic of 2007'
Posted: 11/30/07 at 9:21pm

I was as merely comparing it in that both musicals and music videos tell short stories and feature they're characters/performers singing to tell them. It's not as flashy as the other two, but if anything it's less of what people stereotype a musical as than both Dreamgirls and Chicago.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine