pixeltracker

Why Not PIPPIN Instead of GODSPELL?- Page 2

Why Not PIPPIN Instead of GODSPELL?

Urban
#25re: Why Not PIPPIN Instead of GODSPELL?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 9:44pm

Get Ann Reinking to direct a version of Pippin It will be both minimal and Fosse-esque. :p

Seriously, I have never understood Godspell, I just find it one of the most boring shows ever. But that is just me. On the other hand I have always enjoyed Pippin

#26re: Why Not PIPPIN Instead of GODSPELL?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 9:46pm

PIPPIN is quite possibly my most favorite show in the world. I would love to see it come back to Broadway!

jaybrrd
#27re: Why Not PIPPIN Instead of GODSPELL?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 10:35pm

A PIPPIN revival had been in the works for a few years. Despite everyone's love for it, it is rife with book problems and without a Ben Vereen to carry it off, it's a pretty weak property beyond the score. So, the plan was to re-work the book and generally re-imagine the show... with designs to open in London and bring it over to Broadway depending on the response.

It never quite came together, though, and the project was put on the back burner last year... all but abandoned, basically. It'll be a while before we see a revival. Sorry kids!

pianojohn Profile Photo
pianojohn
#28re: Why Not PIPPIN Instead of GODSPELL?
Posted: 1/4/08 at 10:44pm

My first show in high school was PIPPIN, so I have always wanted to see a revival of it. I have done GODSPELL twice, and it is always being done somwehere by some local theatre group.

If I had a choice between seeing GODSPELL on Broadway or anything else, I would go for the latter. Why revive it and charge top dollar when the local church has a production of it in the basement?

Just my opinion...

brainlessorwise Profile Photo
brainlessorwise
#29re: Why Not PIPPIN Instead of GODSPELL?
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:23am

My first show ever was Pippin. Godspell is a pretty good show. I'd take a revival of either one, but I'd much prefer Pippin. I'd really love to see that re-imagined actually.