pixeltracker

NY Times Rave for JERRY SPRINGER: The Opera

NY Times Rave for JERRY SPRINGER: The Opera

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1NY Times Rave for JERRY SPRINGER: The Opera
Posted: 1/30/08 at 9:35pm

"Oh hear America singing, citizens of New York, as you never have heard it before. Hearken to your everyday sisters and brothers — the lost, the lonely, the fetishists, the freaks — as their voices swell and meld into one common chord of longing: to be seen, to be heard, to be (oh yes) famous.

Will it turn out that the great American musical of the early 21st century is an opera born in Britain? A convincing case for the rights to that title was made by the celestial “Jerry Springer: The Opera,” the notorious show from London about the transcendent within tabloid television, when it opened Tuesday night in a gorgeously sung concert version at Carnegie Hall for a sinfully short run of two performances.

Now “celestial” might seem an ill-chosen adjective for a work devoted to the raw and nasty public doings of a throng of aspiring celebrities with dirty little secrets expressed in dirty little words. But this remarkable work —which features a spectacularly inventive score by Richard Thomas, with a book and lyrics by Mr. Thomas and Stewart Lee — uncovers something grand within the small, squalid lives it portrays..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/30/theater/30cnd-springer.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

#2re: NY Times Rave for JERRY SPRINGER: The Opera
Posted: 1/30/08 at 9:55pm

Know what is gross? Walter McBride's unabashed coverage of Max Von Essen, who is commonly known to "glad hand" these website photographers.

The clear stars of the show are Kietel, and Katrina Rose Dideriksen (hello, not one photo). She got second-to-final bow right before Harvey.

Updated On: 1/30/08 at 09:55 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: NY Times Rave for JERRY SPRINGER: The Opera
Posted: 1/30/08 at 11:24pm

bump.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

jam_man
#3re: NY Times Rave for JERRY SPRINGER: The Opera
Posted: 1/30/08 at 11:37pm

Wait, David Badella(sp?) didn't get second to last bow? He won the Olivier as Jonathan/Satan, didn't he? And his performance on the DVD is fantastic!

Really wish I could have seen this, though I love the DVD!

Are there any other major critics reviewing it - I've seen Brantley's and the one on Theatremania.com, any others?

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#4re: NY Times Rave for JERRY SPRINGER: The Opera
Posted: 1/30/08 at 11:58pm

I am not a Big Brantley Fan, but when he's right, he's right.
I had similar feelings in my post last night.
Damn good show, perfect irony (not easy) Amazing Singers and Beautiful Music.

I still wonder about the "protesters", they were a strange lot.
Hmmm.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#5re: NY Times Rave for JERRY SPRINGER: The Opera
Posted: 1/31/08 at 12:02am

I am a big Ben Brantley fan and I disagree with this statement-

"Will it turn out that the great American musical of the early 21st century is an opera born in Britain? A convincing case for the rights to that title was made by the celestial “Jerry Springer: The Opera,” the notorious show from London about the transcendent within tabloid television, when it opened Tuesday night in a gorgeously sung concert version at Carnegie Hall for a sinfully short run of two performances."

Didn't see the show in England. Didn't see the show in New York. But judging from the album (which I've heard) it's certainly not "the great American musical of the early 21st century." And how can an American musical (and the "greatest one" at that) be an English musical?
Brantley is surprising sometimes.

NYUstud Profile Photo
NYUstud
#6re: NY Times Rave for JERRY SPRINGER: The Opera
Posted: 1/31/08 at 12:11am

I'm shocked that Katrina didn't get one photo on BWW. She was the best part of the show, by far!

"So much of me is made of what I learned from you. You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart."-Wicked