pixeltracker

Am I the only one who didn;t like Laura (atleast not for the first act)?- Page 2

Am I the only one who didn;t like Laura (atleast not for the first act)?

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#25re: Am I the only one who didn;t like Laura (atleast not for the first act)
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:15pm

I haven't seen her live, but I don't like what I have seen. I much prefer more subtle performances.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#26re: Am I the only one who didn;t like Laura (atleast not for the first act)
Posted: 4/15/08 at 11:24pm

Her performance is subtle and is filled with a lot of nuance. But, she is able to retain that subtlety by showing a complete transformation in the character from Act 1 to Act 2. Just incredible work. Blanchard was subtle too, but did not have the arch in character development that Benanti does(not even going into comparisons on voice or presence).
Updated On: 4/16/08 at 11:24 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#27re: Am I the only one who didn;t like Laura (atleast not for the first act)
Posted: 4/16/08 at 12:15am

The best part about Benanti's performance (at least at City Center) was that she was able to go from a very quiet, charming, delicate performance in Act I to a star performance in Act II. Also, she didn't jump from one side to the other, she let the audience know that Louise's expectations and hopes were always there. We see that hope so clearly in "If Momma Was Married" and "All I Need Is the Girl" and of course she comes full circle during the stripping sequence. Her dressing room scene left me speechless, and gave me goosebumps. She does beautiful work in GYPSY and I can't wait to see what she does next.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#28re: Am I the only one who didn;t like Laura (atleast not for the first act)
Posted: 4/16/08 at 12:26am

verynewyorkcurious, how was Laura's understudy?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Videos