pixeltracker

A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews- Page 7

A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#150re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/27/08 at 9:43am

I saw it on the 20th with 3 of my friends (student rush, front row) and we were all crying at the end of it. there were two of us that went in, not knowing what the novel was about and the other two knew. And those two thought that the depiction onstage was a perfect adaptation of the novel. and the theatre was packed!

I loved it. it was powerful, funny (lot more funny moments then Les Mis), and great singers! I mean, James Barbour was incredible and at one point, I swear there were tears in his eyes during one of the songs when he was singing it house left. Brandi Burkhardt was incredible in her broadway debut! at the end of Without a Word, I have never heard an audience applaud and whistle so much. MacKenize Mauzy (Seamstress), in her Broadway debut too, was fantastic too. brilliant voice. The set was cleverly conceived and thought out, the lighting was great, and the music (yes, similar to Les Mis) had a lot more (or at least it felt like it) softer songs and less groups songs than Les Mis did. And sort of liked that. I mean, i love Les Mis, but I think this was a little simpler and focused more on the main characters then Les Mis did.

I hope it stays. and I'm sure it's going to get nominated for Best Actor. I mean, sh*t, Barbour voice is frickin incredible!

edit: I forgot to mention that as soon as the second group of ensemble members came out for their bows, the whole audience (except for maybe a row or two) stood up and applauded them hugely.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~
Updated On: 9/27/08 at 09:43 AM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#151re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/27/08 at 7:42pm

Barbour on NY1 "On Stage" now.....

JillS
#152re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/28/08 at 12:15pm

DRE, Thanks for your review! It's so reassuring to see and hear the audience response at every performance and to read individual posts from people like you (especially students - I love that!) and know that the show is reaching and moving people! Please do all you can to spread the word. This will definitely have to be a PEOPLE's revolution! re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews

denise2
#153re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/28/08 at 4:55pm

I hope that people decide to go to see this show and make up their own minds. Everyone in the audience when I was there loved it. Everyone in line for the bathroom at intermission were raving about it. I heard so many positive comments - the beautiful music, the wonderful cast, the voices, the set.... on and on. I thought it was written beautifully.
I've already made plans to go again and have been on the phone telling friends about it.
I loved it! It really is loved by the people!
Let the revolution continue... on and on and on!
Do not miss A Tale of Two Cities.

cordemus
#154re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/29/08 at 10:53am

I just went with my husband to see Tale Of Two Cities last week. I just have to say I loved this show so much. I can't stop thinking about it. The music was so beautiful and I had tears throughout the whole show. I live in New Jersey and don't see shows all that often (alittle too expensive for us) but I just called and booked two tickets for my daughter and I.
I wish the show great success.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#155re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/29/08 at 11:07am

I haven't seen the show on Broadway yet (going on Halloween) but I keep seeing people with playbills from the show on the train home so I keep asking them what they thought. I'd rather hear the opinion of a paying audience member than some critic who doesn't know that Les Miserables and ToTC don't take place at the same time nor are they about the same revolution.

Every person I've asked has loved the show. They want to go again and want to tell their friends. So even though the critics didn't like the show it seems people are buying tickets and enjoying it. I'm hoping it lasts at least through the holidays.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

sybil7
#156re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:23pm

I haven't seen it and don't plan to. A coworker - who loves musicals - went just prior to opening and said basically, it was 'ok' - not totally awful - but, really nothing great. No, he said he wouldn't go again.

casey1234
#157re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:56pm

I went to see the show because our daughters drama club went and all kids flipped over it. After seeing the show we also are big fans and I would highly recommend it to everyone! In fact the drama teacher said many kids are interested in reading the book now. Can't ask for more then that.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#158re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/29/08 at 2:54pm

That's the interesting thing about this show. A lot of people I've encountered who have seen the show absolutely LOVED it. I've seen it twice, and both times the audience was raving about it afterward. I love it a lot and recommend actually seeing it for yourself and ignoring what the critics said.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#159re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/29/08 at 3:24pm

I was very worried after having read the reviews, but when my wife came home and raved about it, I figured it might be good.

Absolutely loved it !!!

Leaving the theatre the other night, really did not hear anyone have many negative things to say about the show.

The applause for Barbour during curtain was amazing !

denise2
#160re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/29/08 at 8:27pm

James Barbour was amazing. What a voice! Clearly this show has a cast full of wonderful voices. And the music is really beautiful - in my opinion. I can't wait to see the show again. I've been telling everyone at work how much I liked it. And suggesting they see it. I know not everyone will enjoy it as much as I did but I'm sure most will.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#161re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/29/08 at 8:33pm

I know two people who went to see it separately, both huge Aaron Lazar fans and both really into Les Miserables. One of them absolutely loved it, the other thought it was 'okay,' and felt like she would have liked it more if Aaron had a bigger, more fleshed-out role. One of them said she came for Aaron Lazar and stayed for James Barbour and Natalie Toro, who were both excellent, and the other one said that James Barbour had one expression the whole time and always looked and sounded like he didn't want to be there and that Natalie Toro was terrible and sounded like a bad American Idol contestant. They both felt like there was too much "Master of the House"-style stuff going on, but the one who thought the show was 'okay' actually liked all the bar stuff more than the one who loved the show.

So I think it's really a matter of taste. These two girls agree on most things, especially when it comes to musicals, but they didn't agree about Tale of Two Cities. (Their opinions differ the same way, though, when it come to "Phantom of the Opera.")

And I do feel like it's a shame there are so many shills, because "Tale of Two Cities" seems to me to be better than most reviews make it out to be and worse than most shills make it out to be.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

petitpain Profile Photo
petitpain
#162re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/29/08 at 9:39pm

i saw the show and i find both sides of the spectrum strange. i dont neccesarily know why people are ranting-mad about this tolerable but unspectacular show, nor do i think it was a great masterpiece of theater.

i neither loved it nor hated it - i was totally indifferent. (some might say that is worse!) it was just okay for me. it was a good night out but 10 minutes later, my mind had basically moved beyond the piece. some musicals seem to resonate the next day, with a song sticking in my head. i can't say i felt particularly moved or enthralled by the plot, and the songs were totally forgettable. sounded like they were making up melodies while reciting their lines, to be perfectly honest.

i was surprised by the audience's reaction - everyone in the orchestra seemed to love it and gave it a standing ovation from the minute the curtains closed on james barbour's last note. so i guess people liked it, and i can understand that. but for me, it was just middle of the road.

RentBoy86
#163re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/30/08 at 12:25am

I'm going again on Sunday - how are rush seats? Are they easy to get, or should I plan on getting there early?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#164re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/30/08 at 12:37am

I think you shouldn't have a problem with the rush. I got there at 10 the other day and I was the only one there. Two other people showed up a few minutes after me.

Just be advised that the stage is pretty high, so you'll have to crane your neck to see certain things.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#165re: A TALE OF TWO CITIES Reviews
Posted: 9/30/08 at 9:35am

i got there at 10:25am on the second day after it opened and my friend and I were able to get two tickets each (on the sides though). But still, front row. totally worth it.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~
Updated On: 9/30/08 at 09:35 AM

Videos