pixeltracker

What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?

What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?

SharpCookies
#1What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:17pm

I am currently obsessed with the music (I don't know why, but I guess it's my obsession of the week) and I have seen some scenes on YouTube and it doesn't look bad. Of course, I am not a regular Broadway goer (I have never gone to see a Broadway show -_- Stupid living in Canadaness...) so, since I know some of you aren't exactly fans after seeing it, what were the problems? And would it be worth me seeing if I ever go to New York again with some money to see some shows?

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#2re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:32pm

No problems at all!

It's a fun show with good music and great performances. What more could you ask for in a show?

Don't dwell on the negative hearsay.

I loved it and can't wait to see it again! Judging from the reaction of the crowds, I'm not alone!

Get a ticket and get down there to see it with the current (original) cast! They ROCK!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

inick122492 Profile Photo
inick122492
#2re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:33pm

I thought the show was great to be honest but I find the fact that it was a movie first.... broadway is losing originality. I did enjoy the show, very cute and funny. If you do go, do the 1/2 price tix, I got 10th row on the right for $60 a piece. Very very good view.

PiraguaGuy2
#3re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:36pm

Most people who bash it bash it based on the title alone.

It's got five of the best of Broadway's current generation in their prime, a talented and game ensemble, a catchy score by one of Broadway's greatest modern composers, a cute book by a Pulitzer Prize winner, and some crazy technical feats. You WILL see your money up there on that stage.

Is it groundbreaking? No. But it's a lot better than some of the other pretentious "original musicals" that ultimately turned out crappy. To quote the reviewer for "New York" magazine, "if the show ultimately doesn't stray too far from the source material, it's worth remembering that the source material was pretty good".

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

ZONEACE
#4re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:38pm

I'd start with the Book and Score.

Both are mediocre.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:38pm

Broadway never had any originality. The musical is an adaptive art form. It always has been. Original musicals are few and far between.

SharpCookies
#6re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:44pm

This is good to hear. I hope I can con... I mean convince my parents to take me to New York this summer so I can see some of my first Broadway shows (Shrek included). To be honest I thought this thread was going to be riddled with nasty comments and hurtful sarcasm (I have seen it in other topics) and I am glad you guys gave me civil opinions. Thanks.

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#7re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:46pm

Personally, I lovd the movie, but found that it lost some of its magic on stage. I didn't find it as funny or as endearing. I also wasn't a huge fan of the score or book. But, yes, it has an extremely talented cast.

PiraguaGuy2
#8re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:47pm

See it as part of a well-balanced Broadway diet, hopefully including some of the marvelous straight plays that are currently running (God of Carnage, August: Osage County), some revivals (Hair and West Side Story, just to see the classic score finally performed on stage), new musicals (Next to Normal, 9 to 5, Billy Elliot) and some groundbreaking off-Broadway work (Ruined).

SharpCookies
#9re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:50pm

Pirguaga, that would be my dream to see all those shows. But, money is a problem... ^^; I would highly doubt I could see all those shows in just one visit. If I even DO visit. I can't wait until I'm out of high school so I can live in/near New York...

PiraguaGuy2
#10re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:52pm

See as much theatre as you can. Good theatre, bad theatre. Tours, school plays, fourth grade recitals. If you get to New York, use student rushes, lotteries, and TKTS.

SharpCookies
#11re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:57pm

I do what I can with what I am given. New Brunswick isn't the most theatrical province, but I have seen a number of high school performances (being in two myself, in minor roles whichwillgetbiggersoonIpromise!), I watch theatre clips constantly on YouTube, I watch musicals on DVD, and the Hairspray tour came recently and I saw that. It was amazing. My first perfessional show, and from the moment the orchestra started I freaked out like the little theatre nerd I am.

But I digress. XD Sorry, I tend to talk a lot when given the opportunity.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#12re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 9:59pm

After reading your posting, I think we can all agree that we're not sure what you're asking.

You haven't seen it, yet "you've heard" that it has problems. I've also "heard" that Broadway is dead. Yet, last year grosses were over $1 billion.

I've been to NYC 3 times this year and have no desire to see the show. It's my choice to not see it. It would never enter my brain to not see it because I heard so and so didn't like it...so and so said such and such, etc. We all have different opinions on shows after we see them - not before.

Don't let someone else's opinion determine if you should see a show, tv show, movie, etc... at all. That's your decision, alone to make. Not someone else.
Updated On: 5/26/09 at 09:59 PM

SharpCookies
#13re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 10:03pm

Oh. I was just basically asking people's opinions. ^^; Sorry, I tend to ask for opinions a lot and base my own opinions off of them. Heh. Heh. Heh. *awkwardly laughs*

But yeah, if I ever can I will go see Shrek. There, I have made a decision. I feel accomplished. *pats self on back*

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#14re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 10:07pm

No worries. I just want to make sure that you see a show, because YOU want to see it. Not because someone may have liked it or not. And, there are quite a few people on the board who think that they know everything about Broadway shows, when in fact, they know nothing.

A very dear friend of mine on this board worships "Wicked." Needless to say, our opinions are very different on that show. I just don't "get it," even after seeing it quite a few times to give it a 2nd, and 3rd chance.

I'm open minded and mature enough to know that somethings deserve a 2nd chance.
Updated On: 5/26/09 at 10:07 PM

SharpCookies
#15re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 10:14pm

I guess my thought track was "Well, I WANT to see it, but I might as well make sure I won't be wasting 60-100 dollars, probably more." Thanks though, I probably would have taken to other people's opinions too much and miss myself a good time.

I just HOPE I can convince my parents to take me at some point, even though they are very busy.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#16re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 10:23pm

Most of the current Broadway shows....except "Wicked," "Jersey Boys," "Billy Elliott,".....have discount codes on Broadwaybox.com or TKTS. You'll pay 1/2 price, or close to 1/2 price.

Don't ever think that you're "wasting" money when you see a Broadway show. You're supporting the arts. What you're doing is being a consumer...spending money....putting money into the economy. Which in this day and age, is fantastic! Updated On: 5/26/09 at 10:23 PM

SharpCookies
#17re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 10:26pm

You serious?! That is so AWESOME! Man, I'm excited now. WOOOO!

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#18re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 10:29pm

I didn't really like it when I saw it. I was kind of bored and was actually kind of sick so that may have effected me. But I've been listening to the music and half of it is really great. All of Brian's songs are great because he has an incredible song and Sutton is always delightful. I really hate Donkey's songs.

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#19re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:08pm

I really liked ACT ONE, and ACT TWO dragged a lot.

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

ZONEACE
#20re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:12pm

the show is thoroughly uninteresting, unfunny and unoriginal. Go see something else.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#21re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:50pm

The book is Shrek's biggest problem.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#22re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 12:03am

I love the cast, but I was very disappointed with the show. The book and score are very weak. Some of the lyrics made me want to throw up (not the fart jokes or anything like that, just because of how cheesy or dumb some of them are). I enjoyed Christopher Seiber the most, but when he wasn't on stage I found myself getting bored out of my mind and wishing for him to come back on stage.

Of course I prefer more meaningful pieces, but I love fun, fluffy shows too. However, this one just let me down a lot. And I'm not one of those who hate Shrek in general or hate the movies (I enjoyed the movies for the most part), by the way.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#23re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 12:09am

I agreed with a lot of what PiraguaGuy2 said.

Many people on here seem to approach this show with caution because it is based on a children's movie. I found the music to be great and the cast was top-notch. There are flaws, and it is not the greatest piece of theater out there, but it is overall a feel-good, fun show.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#24re: What Were The Problems With Shrek: The Musical?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 8:42am

I thought the show was great to be honest but I find the fact that it was a movie first.... broadway is losing originality.

No, it's not.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian