pixeltracker

Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review- Page 7

Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review

tinysinger87 Profile Photo
tinysinger87
#150re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/23/09 at 2:19pm

I really didnt like the PBS broadcast at all. Adam the only person that drew me in. Josh has a wonderful voice but...his acting, not so much. Idina made insanely safe choices, and even those...weren't that wonderful. I LOVED Kerry. I almost wish that her and Idina had switched roles. I certainly will not buy the cd, and I deleted it from the DVR. Oh well.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#151re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/23/09 at 3:14pm

"P.S. I'm still irritated there's no Blu-ray... it's a CONCERT of a MUSICAL for chrissakes... but the fact that this evening was documented at all is a true gift to us all."

...exactly.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Colle
#152re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/23/09 at 3:15pm

I have a question in relation to the show and the game, what is the job of the second? From the show, I get the impression they are kind of like the players' manager and coach? That is what Florence and the Russian counterpart seemed to be doing.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#153re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/23/09 at 4:53pm

Yo B3TA07 and any other videophiles: I got a chance to watch the concert this weekend. My specs: 7.1 Blu-Ray and 50-inch HD and I'm really picky, particularly because this is not availible in Blu-ray. Now I see why. It comes with two audio options, the crappy stereo used on PBS broadcasts (or heaven forbid a shoddy amp up into a 5.1 feed by the local HD station in some areas) and Linear PCM uncompressed sound (the only sound quality better than DTS) that is absolutely pristine. The video pixellates a little because the concert is so darkly lit, of course, but it's not a problem. I truly would give it a 10, and I was prepared to be disappointed. A blu-ray would have been nice, but this is completely appropriate and adequate and could, indeed, preclude the blu-ray since this was obviously shot it in HD video and sound.

The only bonus feature is the trailer (best musical advertisement ever? It's up there.) but with 150 minutes of material that is understandable. And I have watched that trailer WAY too many times.

I hope Tim Rice records a commentary someday (ala Sondheim on his DVDs) because I'd love to hear his thoughts on Bennett/Nunn and London/Bway and all the backstage drama, and all the rewrites, plus a little on the concert itself would be nice! re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review

P

wall0108 Profile Photo
wall0108
#154re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
Posted: 6/23/09 at 11:21pm

For anyone in Western Washington, Chess in Concert will be shown Sunday, August 23rd at noon on KCTS9. Hopefully it won't be pledge time!

Linda