News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Auditions

Wizard Profile Photo
Wizard
#0Auditions
Posted: 12/30/04 at 2:42am

I have a pretty big vocally intensive (singing-wise) audition coming up. Is there any advice you all can offer for what I can do to prepare myself for it (physically and mentally)? This is huge for me so I want to make sure that it goes the best that it can. Thanks!!

"Take a breath, take a step, take a chance...take your time." - The Last Five Years

Feodor Sverdlov
#1re: Auditions
Posted: 12/30/04 at 10:03am

Just the obvious - don't be tired (get plenty of sleep) and make sure you are warmed-up vocally. Break-a-leg!

scooter3843

Wizard Profile Photo
Wizard
#2re: Auditions
Posted: 12/30/04 at 5:40pm

Sorry to bump, but I really need the help. Thanks guys!!

"Take a breath, take a step, take a chance...take your time." - The Last Five Years

Racetrack Profile Photo
Racetrack
#3re: Auditions
Posted: 12/30/04 at 5:45pm

Well for your voice drink lots of water or tea. Tea's good. Like the other person said get lots and lots of sleep. When you get up there just have fun, be yourself, and enjoy. What are you singing for the audition by the way?

"The weight of this sad time we must obey, Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say. The oldest hath borne most; we that are young Shall never see so much, nor live so long"-Edgar in King Lear

Peppermint Patty
#4re: Auditions
Posted: 12/30/04 at 5:47pm

I use this tip from Sutton Foster-Throat lozenges and ginger tea. I had laryngitis before NYSSMA but after drinking 5 cups of ginger tea I could sing and I got a 27/28. I got a point of for sight reading (I have horrible rhythm).

"It's a privelege to pee"-Urinetown

Racetrack Profile Photo
Racetrack
#5re: Auditions
Posted: 12/30/04 at 5:52pm

I'll remember that the next time I loose my voice.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey, Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say. The oldest hath borne most; we that are young Shall never see so much, nor live so long"-Edgar in King Lear

Wizard Profile Photo
Wizard
#6re: Auditions
Posted: 12/30/04 at 5:53pm

Racetrack,
I'm not really sure what the audition will involve. It's for a position in an a cappella group at Clemson University that has travelled and won awards around the country. They really are amazing but the group consists of only around 15 guys, so being selected as a new member is no easy task. I've never been this worried about any audition before. I appreciate the help guys. Keep the tips coming!!

InTheMoney Profile Photo
InTheMoney
#7re: Auditions
Posted: 12/30/04 at 5:57pm

I'm not sure about drinking tea - caffeine is a diuretic, which means it actually takes water out of the body (which is why those teaholics amongst us will have noticed if you drink tea you feel thirsty again shortly afterwards).

Drink LOTS of lukewarm water; warm-up well, physically as well as vocally; plenty of sleep the night before; if you feel a little dry or tight don't get overworried, as it may purely be down to nerves so try to remain as relaxed as you can but if you need some reassurance try hot water with lemon or a thorat lozenge (NOT an antiseptic/numbing one like Vocalzones, though - maybe have an Aquadrop or something just to get rid of the dry feeling).

Good luck!

actress_06 Profile Photo
actress_06
#8re: Auditions
Posted: 12/30/04 at 8:00pm

Bioled water, fresh lemon, lemon juice, honey and a little bit of sugar works wonders and tastes good, plus it doesn't have any caffeine so it's really good for you. Just make sure you don't drink any alcohol or milk it's an inflamatory so it will make your vocal chords less resilient.

"Better...Better than What?" -Jo March (Little Women the Musical) "NYC...Up there (In Lights) I'll be." -Star to be (Annie)

maybethistime
#9re: Auditions
Posted: 12/30/04 at 8:02pm

i had the same question a while back
heres the link

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=619424#622040

Elphiesbiggestfan Profile Photo
Elphiesbiggestfan
#10re: Auditions
Posted: 12/30/04 at 8:34pm

One REALLY great thing you can do for your voice is sit in the shower with the water REALLY hot (Pointing away from you ofcourse) and warm up vocally.Or get one of those Vix steam machine things and warm up while breathing the steam.The steam from the water or the machine will help your throat and vocal chords so you can sing better

Tell them how I am Defying Gravity!I'm flying high Defying Gravity!And soon I'll match them in renown!And nobody in all of OZ,No wizard that there is or was,Is ever gonna bring me down!!! -Elphaba What?! What are you looking at? Oh, do I have something in my teeth? Okay, let's get this over with. No, I'm not seasick, yes, I've always been green, no, I didn't chew grass as a child.-Elphaba Defying Gravity for the last time 1:09:05 --not the same with out you!--

Wizard Profile Photo
Wizard
#11re: Auditions
Posted: 12/31/04 at 7:04pm

One last bump. Thanks for all the great tips guys!!

Joshua488
#12re: Auditions
Posted: 12/31/04 at 7:34pm

Elphiesbiggestfan: Did you get that tip from Idina Menzel?? LOL

I like to drink hot tea and do vocal warm-ups. I know some people say "No tea!" but I've never had a problem with it.

Just don't do what I heard Britney Spears say in an interview back in 1999: "Before a show, I like to go into a quiet room and just scream. It opens up my vocal cords."

Videos