News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway on Broadway Songs- Page 4

Broadway on Broadway Songs

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#75re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/13/09 at 9:09pm

Dolly, stop dropping names. It's unbecoming.

Updated On: 9/13/09 at 09:09 PM

Dollypop
#76re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/13/09 at 9:15pm

Just trying to annoy TheatreFraud, that's all.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#77re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/13/09 at 9:15pm

I'm a long time fan of Beth's who can't wait to see her in MM, but I keep hearkening back to the horror stories of what happened to some other women who played this role.

Keeping my fingers crossed over here. And I will thank in advance anyone who has some home video to share.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#78re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/13/09 at 9:18pm

Here's Beth singing The Winner Takes it All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pJsnHBZ6cE&feature=channel_page

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#79re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/13/09 at 9:45pm

She DOES sound like Liza. Wow.

I usually really enjoy Kerry Butler, but that video didn't do it for me at all.

If anyone has a video of Ragtime's performance pleeaaaseee post, as that's the one I really want to hear.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#80re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/13/09 at 9:53pm

What perfect weather and a great day!!!

My thoughts...scrambled--forgive me...very long day!

Fela was intriguing to me. Didn't necessarily sell me on the show, but I'd consider it...
I haven't seen RoA and have very little desire to do so...but the Don't Stop Beleiving at the end was a blast. I was sitting in the bleachers and everyone around me was singing and rocking out. Def a highlight, for sure.
Ragtime put me to sleep.
Burn the Floor was beyond engaging.
I really enjoyed Memphis as well.
In the Heights has not lost any of their energy and it was great to see so much of the cast up there considering last year it was only Mandy & Chris.
Cassie Levy was remarkable, as always.
Billy Elliot was very sweet.
Phantom...bleh.
Matt & Josefina was painful. At one point my friend who I was with (who has never seen any WSS which is a story in itself) turned to me and said "Isn't this supposed to be a classic? Why?"

Overall a great day. I thoroughly enjoyed Seth's singalong to RENT, the Buick commercial being filmed and our lovely, joyful Times Square worker who was working the bleachers, singing along to every song and making everyone smile in the process!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#81re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/13/09 at 11:00pm

"Who's obsessed and people ALWAYS make dumb*ss jokes about her name."

The people who are obsessed are the ones with the Wicked-related user names who complain every time someone makes a joke about a Wicked cast member.

You are right, it is a joke. Deal.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 9/13/09 at 11:00 PM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#82re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/13/09 at 11:05pm

Just trying to annoy TheatreFraud, that's all.

I don't get it. What exactly am I being fraudulent about?

Myron
#83re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 10:43am

I saw the entire "Broadway on Broadway" from a huge screen where the sound is not in sync with the image so it looked strange. The stage is too low so unless you arrive early in the morning, you can't see the live performers. I am curious about "Jersey Girls" rather than "Jersey Boys". They performed "My Boyfriend's Back". There was no performance by the "Jersey Boys". Why? Also missing was "Mary Poppins" as well as "Avenue Q". The musical selections were disappointing for the most part: "Let Yourself Go" from "White Christmas" was inappropriate as was "Old Devil Moon" frpm "Finian's Rainbow" and "One Boy" from Bye Bye Birdie". That lady who sang "The Winner Takes It All" from "Mamma Mia" was screaming rather than singing.

Myron
#84re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 10:48am

I agree. She was screeching the words to "Winner Takes It All". At least she wasn't lip synching as was done at Bryant Park.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#85re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 11:17am

Also missing was "Mary Poppins" as well as "Avenue Q".

Not all shows take part. It's advertising and performers have to be paid. If the producers don't think it's worth it, they won't do it. AVENUE Q didn't perform but there is no point to advertising a show that is closing the next day (no one knew at the time that it would be re-opening at NWS).

I thought the RAGTIME performance was beautiful. No, it wasn't uptempo and exciting, but it was just gorgeous. Anyone who doesn't like the new Coalhouse's voice needs to see him up close. His face is incredibly expressive and he's just a joy to watch. (Yes, I was one of the crazies who got there super early to be close to the stage.) That score is so beautiful and I think the performance highlighted that.

"Let Yourself Go" from "White Christmas" was inappropriate

What exactly was inappropriate about it? They started with "Happy Holidays" and then went into a fun group number. It was better than last year, when they had the whole ensemble in fur coats in 90-degree weather and sprayed fake snow everywhere.

I loved the JERSEY BOYS performance. It's not like that show needs any additional advertising, and it was fun! Give the girls a chance to shine, and you don't have to risk any additional damage to your Frankie's voice.

Normally, PHANTOM performs "Think of Me," so I don't get the criticism that they need a new song, unless you're implying they need an entirely new score (which I don't disagree with). Whoever that Raoul was has a great voice.

I thought BYE BYE BIRDIE was great. I was disappointed that Stamos didn't sing, but at least he was there to introduce the number, and Allie and Matt sounded great. It was cute, which goes with the vibe of the show.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#86re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 11:29am

Anyone who doesn't like the new Coalhouse's voice needs to see him up close. His face is incredibly expressive and he's just a joy to watch.

I think he'll be fighting an uphill battle not because he doesn't have a lovely voice, but because he's not Stokes. And logically, you can't really expect anyone to compare, but it's inevitable that people will. I thought the performance was gorgeous and am very excited for the production to come to New York.

I also thought singing Happy Holidays in 80 degree weather was a little bit ridiculous. It's not like the show has to promote that it's about the holidays -- it's called White Christmas. They could have just done Let Yourself Go.

Normally, PHANTOM performs "Think of Me," so I don't get the criticism that they need a new song

I admittedly hadn't been in a few years before yesterday, but I used to go every year for quite a while, and they always did either All I Ask of You or Music of the Night. So when they did All I Ask of You again yesterday, I also thought, "God, pick something else."

I thought Allie Trimm was very cute, and she's got a pretty voice. I so do not get Matt Doyle. John Stamos is awfully pretty.

I was disappointed not to see Brian sing Who I'd Be (is he even still in the show? I thought he had a few weeks left), but his understudy sounded great.

Was underwhelmed by Kerry Butler, but that wasn't really a song that showed her off, and it was a great way to end the concert. Wasn't particularly intrigued by Fela, which disappointed me, absolutely cannot wait for Finian's Rainbow, and remembered how much I love In The Heights.

I would have liked to see Avenue Q perform, having been under the impression yesterday morning that last night would be the end, just as one last hurrah with the community. But whatever.

I had a lot of fun; I'd stopped going for a while because it had gotten kind of lame and just not worth waking up at the crack of dawn for, but this year I went a little later. I wasn't right up front, but it was still fun, and really got me excited about the new season.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 9/14/09 at 11:29 AM

millie_dillmount
#87re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 11:56am

"Normally, PHANTOM performs "Think of Me," so I don't get the criticism that they need a new song, unless you're implying they need an entirely new score (which I don't disagree with). Whoever that Raoul was has a great voice."

Really? Every time they perform, they do the same songs: "Music of the Night," "All I Ask of You" and/or "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again." I don't think I've ever heard them perform "Think of Me," except maybe once in Bryant Park.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#88re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 12:02pm

I thought I remembered them doing "Think of Me" last year. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

millie_dillmount
#89re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 12:42pm

I haven't seen the past few years of Broadway on Broadway, but those always seemed to be the most commonly performed songs. Maybe they did perform "Think of Me" last year.

dave1606
#90re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 1:14pm

For anyone interested, I took video of Ragtime, Finians Rainbow, and Bye Bye Birdie.

Ragtime Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA5wka_FlFY

Finians Raimbow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeISW3QbuyY

Bye Bye Birdie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6JLxjycSC8

enjoy!

ashley0139
#91re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 1:23pm

They definitely did All I Ask of You last year as well.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

millie_dillmount
#92re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 1:27pm

Thanks for the videos, dave!

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#93re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 2:02pm

I agree. She was screeching the words to "Winner Takes It All". At least she wasn't lip synching as was done at Bryant Park.

a) It wasn't Beth Leavel at Bryant Park, it was Corinne Melancon.
b) Melancon sang "Winner" live.

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#94re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 3:10pm

Wendillion, I agree with you. Some of the mics did go in and out during some of the performances.

Billy Elliot Shine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9F0wP7eDvg

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#95re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 3:14pm

Can I just say that yesterday was MAGICAL! The getting to the front was an absolute nightmare, but we ended up right against the stage closest to the audience!

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#96re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 3:25pm

In reply to Ben Crawford playing Shrek at the concert (who was fabulous by the way. That song gives me all kinds of chills and was the real highlight of the concert for me), I believe Brian was likely getting into costume for the matinee, since they had a performance that day. It takes him quite long, and even if they had gone super early they probably didn't think they would have enough time.

Oldschool
#97re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 3:32pm

Dave, thanks for the video! I must say Stephanie Umoh is wonderful as Sarah. Nice vocal pairing with Quentin Darrington.

As for the Stokes/Darrington comparison, well its bound to be made, but having seen Stokes in "Man of La Mancha" where he could sing his ass off (as he does always) but couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, I'll take Darrington having seen him at the Kennedy Center. His voice isn't as robust as Stokes (not many are), but his acting ability makes up for it.

mrjason
#98re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/14/09 at 5:18pm

just found this on youtube. Ben sounds amazing! can't wait till he takes over!
Ben Crawford- Singing Who I'd Be Broadway on Broadway

BBBW
#99re: Broadway on Broadway Songs
Posted: 9/15/09 at 10:37am

The wasn't Beth best work, but it's extremely hard to sing that song at 11:30 in the morning, especially to a track.

Trust me, she'll be wonderful in the show and definitely knows what she's doing with her voice.
Updated On: 9/15/09 at 10:37 AM

Videos