News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Children of Eden

kec Profile Photo
kec
#0Children of Eden
Posted: 3/7/04 at 5:12pm

Can anyone tell me what this show was about? I was at a choral concert today, in Burgdorf, Switzerland. The concert was music from Great Britian and the USA, but it was more from the U.S. -- Aaron Copeland, selections from Porgy and Bess, Chichester Psalms by Leonard Bernstein and music from Godspell and Children of Eden by Stephen Schwartz. While I'm very familiar with the first Schwartz selection, the latter is unknown to me.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

BwayTheatre11
#1re: Children of Eden
Posted: 3/7/04 at 5:15pm

Children of Eden is a great show! It is based on the book of Genesis. The 1st act is about Adam and Eve and the 2nd act is about Noah and the flood. The score is excellent.

CCM '10!

kec Profile Photo
kec
#2re: re: Children of Eden
Posted: 3/7/04 at 5:51pm

I figured it had something to do with Adam and Eve re: re: Children of Eden . Thanks. I'll have to check the IBDB to see when it ran.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#3re: re: re: Children of Eden
Posted: 3/7/04 at 7:39pm

It never ran on Broadway. It ran in London and did poorly. Schwartz and John Caird then rewrote the show and it was performed at the Paper Mill Playhouse, where it was recorded in the commercially available cast recording that is common today. There is also a recording of the London cast that has become something of a collector's item.

#4re: re: re: re: Children of Eden
Posted: 3/7/04 at 7:54pm

I never heard of the show until I heard Matt sing Lost In the Wilderness.

MusicMan
#5re: re: re: re: re: Children of Eden
Posted: 3/7/04 at 11:46pm

Though it contains some nice musical moments, the show is dramatically ineffective and doesn't work at all.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Children of Eden
Posted: 3/8/04 at 8:33am

MusicMan is correct. I like just about every song but there's no dramatic core to any of it. It's just a bunch of songs that, for all intents and purposes, tell that particular story. There's no musical or dramatic build.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Children of Eden
Posted: 3/8/04 at 9:35am

There's a production of this show slated to be performed at the Ford's Theatre in Washington, DC beginning at the end of this month.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

durleste Profile Photo
durleste
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Children of Eden
Posted: 3/8/04 at 10:22pm

Yes, and as a DC area resident I plan to see it. I've always liked the music from it, but have never seen it staged. I'll be interested to see if what has been stated here is accurate - that it is all musical fluff and no substance.

GEFTS (aka Adrian)

HunterFosterIsMyGod Profile Photo
HunterFosterIsMyGod
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Children of Eden
Posted: 3/9/04 at 3:09pm

Hunter Foster was in it!!!

Videos