News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

How to explain RENT to an 8-year-old..- Page 2

How to explain RENT to an 8-year-old..

Mimi Imfurst
#25re: How to explain RENT to an 8-year-old..
Posted: 12/27/04 at 5:46pm

that works... i mean, after all- you can just say something like, its about a group of 20 somethings living in new york, dealing with relationships and art.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#26re: How to explain RENT to an 8-year-old..
Posted: 12/27/04 at 6:37pm

I'm sorry I'm confused. Why can't children know about drugs or AIDS?

Mimi Imfurst
#27re: How to explain RENT to an 8-year-old..
Posted: 12/27/04 at 6:49pm

They can, but i still don't think AIDS is realistically dealt with in RENT. Sure, the characters have it, but its not about them having it. Its about dealing with each other.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#28re: How to explain RENT to an 8-year-old..
Posted: 12/27/04 at 6:51pm

It is not that he can't know, but depending on the child's maturity, he/she might not be able to emotionally handle the themes dealt with in the show.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#29re: How to explain RENT to an 8-year-old..
Posted: 12/27/04 at 6:56pm

I've never understood the benefits of censorship. My parents censored NOTHING and people say I matured faster than usual.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#30re: How to explain RENT to an 8-year-old..
Posted: 12/28/04 at 1:29am

I think it's less about censorship and more about how things represented in RENT might skew a child's perception of reality. Again, he might think drugs are cool and AIDS just means you take an AZT-break and sing about going out.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#31re: How to explain RENT to an 8-year-old..
Posted: 12/28/04 at 10:15am

Well the thing with my brother is that he's just not mature enough, if I explained it to him, he wouldn't be sad, he just wouldn't fully understand it, so if I explained AIDS..or tried to..he'd probably go around saying "You've got AIDS, I've got AIDS" etc.. without knowing what it means

so I think I'll just leave it to his 5th grade health teacher (who by the way is the biggest wacko you will ever meet)

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

nodaybuttoday4
#32Re:
Posted: 12/28/04 at 1:03pm

I think you should play La Vie Boheme for him, and see, hmm, how many words he really understands.

"Mucho masturbation..."

"To SODOMY...its between God and me"

Overthemoon6 Profile Photo
Overthemoon6
#33Re:
Posted: 12/29/04 at 7:20pm

what's s & m?

And then, do you know Monseiur Marius, I believe I was a little in love with you.
♥♥♥

Videos