News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Rose's Turn

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#0Rose's Turn
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:39pm

I'm looking for the exact dialogue in the bit right before the song...is the line "There wouldn't be signs big enough - there wouldn't be lights bright enough!" ? Thanks anyone who can help.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#1re: Rose's Turn
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:45pm

And you haven't any talent--

Not what I call talent!

Talent for the deaf, dumb, and blind, maybe.

Not an ounce of it, Miss Gypsy Rose Lee!

I made you!

And you want to know why?

You want to know what I did it for?

Because I was born too soon and started too late!

That's why.

With what I got in me,

I could have been better than any of you!

What I got in me,

What I've been holding down inside of me...

Oh, if I ever let it out,

There wouldn't be signs big enough!

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!

Here she is, boys..

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland
Updated On: 3/7/05 at 02:45 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#2re: Rose's Turn
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:50pm

Thank you so much!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#3re: Rose's Turn
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:59pm

Possibly one of the greatest dramatic monologues for a female in musical theatre. Gives me chills.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

actorgirl_21 Profile Photo
actorgirl_21
#4re: Rose's Turn
Posted: 3/7/05 at 3:20pm

Playing Mamma Rose in Gypsy is one of the major reasons I'm looking forward to getting older....I love that song and the monologue before it!

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#5re: Rose's Turn
Posted: 3/7/05 at 3:25pm

Just a heads up: the celebrated Shaw Festival at Niagara-on-the-Lake (in Ontario, Canada) is doing GYPSY this summer. It's their first musical ever.

I've never seen GYPSY onstage, so I'm excited about this. I hope they don't screw it up!

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

MarkCohen
#6re: Rose's Turn
Posted: 3/7/05 at 3:47pm

Didn't they do Pal Joey and Floyd Collins last year?

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#7re: Rose's Turn
Posted: 3/7/05 at 4:16pm

Not that I know of (I would have gone to see PAL JOEY if the Shaw Festival was staging it). The article I read in the Toronto Star said this was their first musical.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Bwaybaby109
#8re: Rose's Turn
Posted: 3/7/05 at 4:18pm

actorgirl I'm with ya on that one! It's def one of my dream roles!

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

MarkCohen
#9re: Rose's Turn
Posted: 3/7/05 at 7:54pm

They definately did those two shows......but Gypsy is the first musical on the Festival Stage.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#10re: Rose's Turn
Posted: 3/7/05 at 8:23pm

Oh God, I got chills just reading it...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos