News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Ravenclaw

Member Name: Ravenclaw
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

UNCLE VANYA Previews  Apr 16 2024, 01:04:52 AM

When you say "updated" do you mean modern dress or does the text make contemporary allusions as well? In Jamie Lloyd's A Doll's House, for example, the actors all wore contemporary clothing but text was projected on the back wall reading "1879"--implying that while the actors were dressed in modern clothing, the show was still set in another period (like how nobody in Chicago wears period-appropriate attire but we understand very clearly

Next Sondheim?  Mar 29 2024, 03:20:52 PM

For me, the Encores production was nearly perfect. I doubt Weidman's book revisions will get close to what David Ives's revisions did--spinning a thread of logic while totally preserving the wacky tone, clearing out the clutter of the piece, and letting the score truly shine. I've wished for years that the Encores book would become the officially licensed version (like Follies), but, alas.

A lack of great new choreographers and director-choreographers?  Dec 20 2023, 01:33:25 PM

Speaking from the regions, I want to throw two names in the mix that have done exceptional work, in my opinion, again and again.

First is Dennis Jones. Who, of course, has choreographed a couple of Broadway shows (quite impressively, in my opinion). I find his movement creative, original, exciting, and deeply based in story. He was a protegee of Stroman, and the influence is clearly felt. He's a person whose work I always seek out, and I'm surprised his Broad

'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'  Dec 12 2023, 12:44:48 AM

Someone who knows more about copyright law than I can correct me, but I doubt this film would ever get made because of the trademarked characters and names as well as copyrighted material of the show, and I'm sure Marvel would never give permission as they seem to want desperately for the world to forget this misfire of a show ever happened. Does anyone remember the documentary shot by the producer's son that supposedly had all the juicy details but never saw the light of day? 

Lookingglass Theatre in Chicago will pause programming for a year and lay off more than half its staff  Jul 3 2023, 11:07:08 PM

But Lookingglass HAS given audiences good nights out, and presented shows that people would want to see--

"Lookingglass Alice" and "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" were remounts of some of their most financially and critically successful productions, the former of which has been regularly revived to sold out crowds for decades. Both are delightful, creative, inventive, accessible, and just plain fun.

"Vilette" was a new production, and therefore riskier,

Lookingglass Theatre in Chicago will pause programming for a year and lay off more than half its staff  Jun 30 2023, 05:03:23 PM

Subscriptions have been dying a slow death only accelerated by the pandemic. It used to be a show with mixed reviews could play to decent houses because of loyal subscribers, but now the gap between the hits and the flops is bigger than ever. People don't want to lock down dates a year in advance. Add to that Lookingglass's slow return from the pandemic (they didn't return to live production until November of '21 and then delayed due to the omicron cancellations, so they sat d

How Good Of An Actress is Sara Bareilles?  Jun 25 2023, 08:12:13 PM

Astonishing.

As Ben Brantley said,

"Allow me to echo re "Into the Woods": There have been many talented interpreters of the Baker's Wife since Joanna Gleason brilliantly originated the role. But Sara Bareilles is the first I've seen to match Gleason's human complexity, while providing her own free-wheeling spin."

https://twitter.com/BenjBrantley/status/1562128829925269506

"Kiss Me, Kate" questions from a college student  Jun 9 2023, 03:15:15 PM

Take a look at James Shapiro's book Shakespeare in a Divided America. There's a lengthy chapter about Kiss Me Kate, detailing the particulars of the development of the show, the story of how Bella Spewack's work became diluted by contributions from her ex-husband, all the stuff mentioned in that American Theatre article shared earlier in this thread, just with more information and depth. Suffice it to say, there were absolutely differences in opinion am

Kelli O'Hara, Brian d'Arcy James to star in DAYS OF WINE & ROSES musical from LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA team  May 13 2023, 12:09:54 PM

jacobsnchz14 said: "To those who have seen the film and the musical, is their introductory scene at the reception desk and elevator still there? Lemmon and Remick play off of each other very well there and was curious whether it's a scene or song in the show."

I haven't seen the film, but the two characters meet on a boat (a cruise ship?) in this version. Introduces a water motif that runs throughout the play (and there''s a little pool downstage that

Most Elaborate/Technically Advanced Scenic Designs  Apr 20 2023, 06:59:18 PM

The National Theatre's His Dark Materials was a technical marvel... so much that some say it was a detriment to the play...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4f14uO27eI

Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London  Mar 20 2023, 03:48:24 PM

It feels a little disingenuous to me when I hear people say "how many gay actors have won oscars for straight roles?" in this context because this is a play, not a movie. If the question were how many gay actors have won Tonys for straight (or sexuality-unspecified) roles, it's a different list--off the top of my head, Simon Russell Beale, Ben Platt, Gavin Creel, Billy Porter (I know there's disagreement about this character's sexuality), David Hyde Pierce, Andre de Shie

DANCIN' Previews  Mar 4 2023, 04:22:06 PM

Dollypop said: "Does this version include "Mr Monotony"?"

I should hope not, as that was a Jerome Robbins number.

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Jan 10 2023, 11:53:01 PM

jkcohen626 said: "I wonder if the orchestrations for this count as new? I'm pretty sure JRB said that they have more instruments than they originally had. Not really so familiar on what counts as new orchestrations or if they fulfilled that."

I'm pretty sure that they just added more string players to the same parts, the orchestrations themselves didn't change. Except for the new numbers that weren't part of the original Broadway production (i.e. &quo

NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?  Jan 6 2023, 04:19:12 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "I think the people saying Diana has to be around 38 or so are basing it off of a couple lines. One where she sings "I was a child, raising a child" and then when she says "and we were both so young" (I believe the line is) which implies she's probably 20ish at the time she had Gabe. But is there a line as to how long after the baby died, she had Natalie? And even so, they can easily switch a few words for the film - it sure as hell wouldn't be the first time that's happened."

Definitely could be easily changed in adaptation, but the lines that reference their ages are:

1) In a flashback, when Diana first finds out she's pregnant, Dan says "I know we're young, but we're not, I'm almost 22"

2) In a therapy session with Dr. Madden, Diana says "We were both undergrads... architecture... when the baby came it all seemed to make sense" possibly implying they were still in college when they had Gabe

3) Gabe died at "just 8 months old" (in "How Could I Ever Forget", he would now be turning 18 (opening lines of the show "I'm almost 18, mom" and also referenced in "I'm Alive"--"isn't that about the age when kids typically move out?"

These facts together put Diana and Dan at about 40. But they're such little lines, it does not impact the integrity of the piece if Dan and Diana are 25 when they have Gabe instead of 21.

Ben Platt and Micaela Diamond to star in NYCC Gala presentation of Parade  Dec 22 2022, 12:00:19 PM

If it is in fact going to the James Earl Jones, then the orchestra will almost certainly be reduced, yes? Seems kind of impossible to me for a show with that big a cast and orchestra to be able to make any money in a theatre that size. Which would be disappointing as the orchestra was the most exciting thing about this production for me.

As for Mr. Platt's success, he is undeniably a talented actor, and there are also undeniably talented actors of his generation who have not had the success he has. That's the business. I went to college with several "nepotism babies" who have gone on to find success much faster than their equally talented peers. I've also seen nepotism babies fail to make their mark. The industry is all about networking, and some people have a leg up in that regard. Is it fair? No, but neither is life. I don't think it's reasonable to imply that Marc Platt has bought his son's career, though, as evidenced by the couple other talented Platt siblings the world has mostly not heard about.

This is not necessarily directly related to the subject, but if you have a spare two hours or so (and from the looks of it, MANY of you have too much time on your hands), this video might make you think more deeply about the vitriol being thrown at Ben Platt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPhrTOg1RUk

And, for the record, I was skeptical going in, but found Ben Platt's performance to be quite impressive (and I was mixed on the production generally).

DOWNSTATE - reviews  Dec 16 2022, 04:01:15 AM

At a talkback, someone asked Pam McKinnon if she would bring the play at ACT (where she is artistic director), and she said that she would like to, with this cast again, but made it clear that there weren't any plans yet.

I would love for this to transfer to Broadway so that everyone can win Tonys. Maybe a Pulitzer win in the spring could lead to a transfer next fall? A Strange LoopFat Ham, and Cost of Living all announced their Broa

DOWNSTATE Previews (Playwrights Horizons)  Oct 30 2022, 05:29:44 PM

Caught it at Steppenwolf four years ago. One of the most riveting dramas I've ever seen. Get your tickets now, I imagine this will be a very talked-about piece.

Ahrens-Flaherty KNOXVILLE musical world premiere set for Asolo Rep  Oct 21 2022, 11:34:38 PM

The cast album was released digitally today. There are some really nice, touching songs in it. I would love to see this show have a further life, 

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Previewsin  Oct 11 2022, 05:14:57 PM

I think there's a path to success for this show based on word-of-mouth and good critical reception (both of which this show already has). Everyone in this thread is pointing to intimate, serious drama musicals or big musical comedies, but this show is much more along the lines of a ...Spelling Bee or Urinetown, a small, off-beat/quirky musical comedy. It doesn't have broad name-recognition right now, but the fans are deeply enthusiastic. I've recommende

Do you think we'll see a 100th anniversary SHOW BOAT on Broadway?  Oct 1 2022, 11:31:33 PM

OlBlueEyes said: "BIG BALONEY said: "I don't think this idea for a revival is a good plan because I see little interest in actual paying customers."

No what would make you think that? The Prince revival played just short of 1000 performances before taking off on a long tour.
"

That production (and its tour) were not the sell-out hits Garth Drabinsky tried to convince the public they were. The Broadway production played to half-empty a

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You