pixeltracker

Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London

Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 8:43am

It really is a shame that gay men just HATE doing theatre but thank god we have so many straight men who will bravely fill their shoes. :)

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 9:10am

TotallyEffed said: "It really is a shame that gay men just HATE doing theatre but thank god we have so many straight men who will bravely fill their shoes. :)"

…do we know for certain that neither of these gents identify as LGBTQ+, or are you making assumptions?

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#4Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 9:17am

Hoping this extends. I’ll be in London a few weeks after it’s planned final show. 

TotallyEffed
#5Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 9:21am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "TotallyEffed said: "It really is a shame that gay men just HATE doing theatre but thank god we have so many straight men who will bravely fill their shoes. :)"

…do we know for certain that neither of these gents identify as LGBTQ+, or are you making assumptions?
"

I don’t really care. All I know is it’s 2023 and they made a BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN MUSICAL. About the gayest string of words I can imagine and gosh dang it, I want to see two unapologetically OUT, PROUD, GAY men in these iconic roles. My opinion.

The Other One
#6Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 9:31am

Was the film version of Brokeback Mountain ruined or enhanced by the performances of Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal for you?  

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 9:34am

It’s a play, not a musical.

The characters are not out & proud gay men so that is a weird stance to take — the characters are repressed men with complex emotions and probably exist on a spectrum of sexuality.

The whole “cis straight actors can’t play cis gay roles” is getting a little tired in a world in which Lydia Tár became a gay icon and Benoit Blanc being coded as queer was received with open arms by the internet.

TotallyEffed
#8Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 9:38am

The Other One said: "Was the film version of Brokeback Mountain ruined or enhanced by the performances of Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal for you? "

The film was shot 20 years ago and was a cultural phenomenon. It never would have been made without those two actors. I think the film is quite good given that context. Times have changed.

And sorry, PLAY WITH MUSIC, not musical.

TotallyEffed
#9Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 9:40am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It’s a play, not a musical.

The characters are not out & proud gay men so that is a weird stance to take — the characters are repressed men with complex emotions and probably exist on a spectrum of sexuality.”

Two men go up to the mountains and raw dog each other and then fall in love. It’s pretty gay.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#11Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 9:56am

No, it’s not unreasonable to want out-and-proud gay people to play gay roles. Can you name a gay person who has won an Oscar for a playing a gay role? No, because they weren’t given the opportunities and plum roles. Can you make multiple straight people who have won Oscars for playing gay roles? Yes, and it even just happened this year. It’s about representation and visibility. Why would two straight men want to tell this particular story? Is it theirs to tell? Is their research to play closeted men literally just performative? 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#12Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:02am

As a gay man, I couldn’t give less of a crap if a gay man plays a gay role. It’s called acting for a reason. Lucas Hedges is incredible and an excellent choice. 

Now obviously, if any of these roles were trans characters, that would be VERY different.

RoyiG
#13Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:03am

TotallyEffed said: "It really is a shame that gay men just HATE doing theatre but thank god we have so many straight men who will bravely fill their shoes. :)"

Asking in all seriousness... do we know that these actors aren't queer?

KevinKlawitter
#14Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:06am

RoyiG said: "TotallyEffed said: "It really is a shame that gay men just HATE doing theatre but thank god we have so many straight men who will bravely fill their shoes. :)"

Asking in all seriousness... do we know that these actors aren't queer?
"

When doing press for Boy Erased, Lucas Hedges said he doesn't want to label his sexuality, but doesn't consider himself either straight or gay.

berniesb!tch
#15Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:06am

Lucas hedges has openly talked about his sexuality being fluid in interviews for Boy Erased. 

Updated On: 3/20/23 at 10:06 AM

Chase Miller
#16Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:12am

The original actors from the film have said that Ennis and Jack aren't exclusively gay. They're just 2 people who fell in love. I believe both characters are meant to be seen as bisexual or "fluid".  I don't have a problem with this. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#17Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:17am

Same, Chase.

n2nbaby said: "As a gay man, I couldn’t give less of a crap if a gay man plays a gay role. It’s called acting for a reason. Lucas Hedges is incredible and an excellent choice.

Exactly, great comment

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#18Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:24am

We can have this argument til we’re blue in the face, but is has never been about “acting” or “not being able to play the role.” It is about representation and access to our own stories. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#19Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:31am

On the plus side, I predict these two will have more chemistry than the gents who starred in the opera in 2014.

On the minus side I’m tired of stories about tragic gays who die. I personally want more romcoms and genre fiction. But then I liked Bros while half the gay forums seemed to despise it.

I don’t object to these two playing these roles. What I object to is casting directors blackballing openly gay actors. It’s still happening and it shouldn’t. The Little Dog Laughed was produced in 2006 yet still feels relevant.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 3/20/23 at 10:31 AM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#20Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:34am

I can't wait for them to sample Witches' Rap in this show...

"beans, beans, nothing but beans..."

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#21Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:37am

I'm buying tickets to this. They are both stellar stage performers and this will fit nicely between my two trips to A STRANGE LOOP

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#22Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:40am

And while they may be fluid in the book, they spend the film searching for men. They soon stop sleeping with their wives, and ignore all other women. Make of that what you will. 

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

TotallyEffed
#23Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 10:41am

Valentina3 said: "I can't wait for them to sample Witches' Rap in this show...

"beans, beans, nothing but beans..."
"

Stoppppppp lol

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#24Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 11:05am

n2nbaby said: "As a gay man, I couldn’t give less of a crap if a gay man plays a gay role. It’s called acting for a reason. Lucas Hedges is incredible and an excellent choice.

Now obviously, if any of these roles were trans characters, that would be VERY different.
"

This kind of statement is why underrepresented minorities have to incessantly fight to be seen. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/20/23 at 11:12am

I’m a fan of both arguments: let actors act but also think it’s become exhausting for rewarding straight men for playing gay characters. 

But my biggest complaint is the “tragic gay play.” I’m over that. I don’t need to see anymore queer stories where someone has to come out or something tragic happens. Show me a gay person who is thriving and enjoying life. 

This play doesn’t need to exist 

Videos