pixeltracker

'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'

Hey, Zelda! Profile Photo
Hey, Zelda!
#1'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/11/23 at 5:53pm

Its existence revealed at large in this year's Black List roundup, a list of favorite unproduced Hollywood screenplays.

Updated On: 12/11/23 at 05:53 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/11/23 at 9:15pm

If this ever gets made(crossing my fingers) I don’t care who else is cast, but I need Stephanie J Block to play Julie Taymor!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 12/11/23 at 09:15 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/11/23 at 9:36pm

My first thought was Julianne Moore as Julie Taymor. 

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#4'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/11/23 at 9:59pm

Is this an adaptation of Glen Berger’s Song of Spider-Man? I’m actually shocked that hasn’t been made into a film or miniseries yet…. Or season of Ryan Murphy’s AHS 😂. Unless it can’t be made for legality and litigation purposes haha

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#5'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/11/23 at 10:09pm

FosseTharp said: "Is this an adaptation of Glen Berger’s Song of Spider-Man? I’m actually shocked that hasn’t been made into a film or miniseries yet…. Or season of Ryan Murphy’s AHS 😂. Unless it can’t be made for legality and litigation purposes haha"

The description makes it seem like Glen/“the playwright” is the protagonist, so I would assume it’s based off his book 

“An anxious playwright finds himself tangled in a web of deceit, injury, and intellectual property as he adapts his first Broadway musical, Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark. Inspired by a true story.”

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#6'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/11/23 at 10:10pm

Jordan Catalano said: "My first thought was Julianne Moore as Julie Taymor."

My first thought was Mary Louise Parker. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/11/23 at 10:11pm

….which is MUCH better than my suggestion. MLP is peeeeeeerfect. 

Ravenclaw
#8'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/12/23 at 12:44am

Someone who knows more about copyright law than I can correct me, but I doubt this film would ever get made because of the trademarked characters and names as well as copyrighted material of the show, and I'm sure Marvel would never give permission as they seem to want desperately for the world to forget this misfire of a show ever happened. Does anyone remember the documentary shot by the producer's son that supposedly had all the juicy details but never saw the light of day? 

That said, I have recommended Song of Spider-man to nearly everyone I know. I would be first in line at the box office if this film were ever made. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up. Maybe the screenplay will leak online at some point.

How about Jesse Eisenberg as Glen Berger and Laura Dern as Taymor?

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#9'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/12/23 at 8:49am

In a related thought, anyone remember the episode of "Law and Order: Criminal Intent", called "Icarus" that was based on the accidents/happenings at Spider-Man? Cynthia Nixon played the Julie Taymor based director.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Joviedamian
#10'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/12/23 at 11:34am

Glen Berger was on Theater Talk many moons ago discussing how Michael Cohl's son recorded everything in order to make a documentary/screenplay and or "behind the scenes" of the show. Is this here what we are talking about or is it a new project altogether?

Here are the video links from that episode:

Theater Talk: Glen Berger, "Song of Spider-Man", Part 1 - YouTube

Theater Talk Glen Berger, Song of Spider Man, Part 2 - YouTube

Updated On: 12/12/23 at 11:34 AM

KevinKlawitter
#11'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/12/23 at 11:44am

fashionguru_23 said: "In a related thought, anyone remember the episode of "Law and Order: Criminal Intent", called "Icarus" that was based on the accidents/happenings at Spider-Man? Cynthia Nixon played the Julie Taymor based director."

Love CI - I believe that episode was in the final season. They even do the classic Law & Order thing where a character talks about the production as being worried "they have another Julie Taylor on their hands!"

UrNotAMachine
#12'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/12/23 at 12:15pm

Just read this script. It was alright. It really condenses a lot of things (as most adaptations of books do) but it had some funny moments. This is most assuredly a stunt script written primarily to to garner attention for the writer-- something becoming more and more common on the Blacklist these days-- but it works well enough and I hope it brings them some notoriety.

There's basically a 0% chance that this gets made with all of the parties involved (many of whom have already shown themselves to be quite litigious). But I'm a sucker for movies about the creative process, so it was a fun read.

Updated On: 12/12/23 at 12:15 PM

zainmax
KevinKlawitter
#14'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/12/23 at 3:53pm

zainmax said: "How did you read it?"

Black List scripts can usually be found on Reddit

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#15'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/12/23 at 4:13pm

I was just thinking yesterday how I’d love to see a movie or a play/musical based on the relationship and rivalry between Bob Kane and Bill Finger over who really created Batman. We’ll probably never get that either, though there WAS a documentary.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#16'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 12/12/23 at 5:01pm

Would be an great new season of the Ryan Murphy (blech generally) project "Feud". U2 vs. Julie Taymor vs. Marvel vs...

itsahopi
#17'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 1/31/24 at 8:32am

I just read it and agree it’s an attention grab from the writer who is so disconnected from Broadway or how it works, they repeatedly refer to the end of the show as “end of act 3,” which is screenplay format. This was a misfire for me. A few laughs, but a real straight transcription of Berger’s book. Without the insight, quirkiness, or truth. Berger would probably write a fantastic adaptation, but according to a thread on Reddit, this was unauthorized. And that’s a shame because the writer basically stole Berger’s entire story for clout, and it’s not even a good script. Hollywood probably just doesn’t know the story and was enamored by the backstage drama that we all know already. Berger did the heavy lifting here, not the writer of this very medium script. And no, I’m not Berger lol

edmundog2
#18'Boy Falls From Sky': A(n unproduced) film based on the making of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark'
Posted: 1/31/24 at 9:11am

Ravenclaw said: "I doubt this film would ever get made because of the trademarked characters and names as well as copyrighted material of the show, and I'm sure Marvel would never give permission"

Marvel wouldn't have to give permission for the characters and names, at least. Or even the costumes/designs. For instance, Hollywoodland was able to use Superman's name, costume, etc in the movie despite not having permission, because it was based on true events. The problem is, just like Hollywoodland, they wouldn't be able to use it in the advertising, which could be very tricky. And, as you say, the show material is straight up copyrighted.