News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jacksprat

Member Name: jacksprat
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Tony Award for Best Song
 Apr 18 2017, 12:14:51 AM

2014: I've Decided to Marry You (A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder)
2015: Ring of Keys (Fun Home)
2016: Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down) (Hamilton)
2017: Waving Through a Window (Dear Evan Hansen)

Great Comet Seating Thread
 Dec 20 2016, 01:09:57 AM

Just starting to scout for a couple of tickets for early June and I'm considering getting two tickets in the front row of the Rear Mezzanine (A8 and A9).  They seem very centered and even have what I gather to be a table to one side.  I'm sure the Front Mezzanine would be better, but they are out of front row seats on the night I want (aside from those on the sides - Section 1 and 4) and to get more centered would mean picking the third row of the Front Mezzanine. Such as C1

Evan Hansen Seating Question
 Dec 19 2016, 11:54:40 PM

Thanks for the guidance. I actually got the chance to see Pippin towards the end of its run at the Music Box and enjoyed sitting front row center of the Mezzanine.  In any event, I got two tickets in the center of Row D in the Mezzanine for DEH for the first Saturday night in June, so I think I'll enjoy the experience.  As I am going with someone for whom this will be their first ever experience at a Broadway show, it was just really important to me that he would be happy with t

Evan Hansen Seating Question
 Dec 12 2016, 10:53:13 PM

I just got word that I will be in NYC during the June 1-4 weekend, and while I saw the show in DC, I believe I want to go ahead and buy tickets to see 'Dear Evan Hansen' again - this time with a friend of mine who has never been to NYC before and this would be his first show.

Anyway, as I have very limited knowledge of how seats are in Broadway houses, could someone advise me as to whether I should buy two front row Mezzanine tickets which would be on one of the side sections,

Orchestra vs Mezzanine for Pippin/Side Show
 Oct 14 2014, 01:40:05 PM
Thanks for the guidance! I was able to snag center of front row of Mezzanine for Pippin, and center of 2nd row of Mezzanine for Side Show.

Very happy and excited!!!

Orchestra vs Mezzanine for Pippin/Side Show
 Oct 14 2014, 01:00:07 PM
Struggling to decide which would be the better place to sit and watch a musical spectacle such as Pippin and/or Side Show. On the nights I am looking at buying tickets for, I have a choice of Row C or Row K in the Orchestra section. I also can go with the center of the first or second row of the Mezzanine section.

I've only been to one Broadway show in my life, and that was years ago, so getting to see these two Broadway musicals is something that I don't want to "screw up" by picking

A weekend in December: any Musical suggestions?
 Oct 5 2014, 07:47:45 PM
Thanks! Incidentally, I've seen "Curious Incident" in London which was phenomenal, or else I would see that. Now to decide if it would be better to see Side Show from the center of row M in the Orchestra section, or the second row of the Mezzanine...
A weekend in December: any Musical suggestions?
 Oct 5 2014, 07:27:26 PM
Long-time Broadway musical enthusiast, and yet, I've only seen one Broadway musical on the actual Great White Way... and that was almost 20 years ago! Tragic, I know. I see the tours, but somehow, I never manage to get up to NYC.

Anyway, I just got word that I will be staying in Manhattan over a weekend in December, and now I have to decide which shows to see. I've currently zeroed in on "On The Town" and "Side Show" as the productions I am most hopeful to be wonderful experiences.

Tony Award for Best Song
 Apr 1 2014, 02:04:08 PM
I believe the problem lies in the fact that the song was released in 1995 on the "Rhythm of the Pridelands" CD. Goodness knows, the Tonys aren't always consistent, so it is debatable whether or not it would be considered eligible. One wouldn't allow any of the songs from Jersey Boys to be considered, as they were released via another medium prior to the stage show. On the other hand, songs from the Evita concept album also preceded the stage show, and it would seem reasonable to allow those s
Tony Award for Best Song
 Apr 1 2014, 12:46:20 PM
Thoughts on other Best Songs of the past 15 years? If I may speculate...

1998-99: The Old Red Hills of Home (Parade)
1999-2000: Welcome to My Party (The Wild Party)
2000-01: Keep It Gay (The Producers)
2001-02: I See a River (Urinetown)
2002-03: Good Morning, Baltimore (Hairspray)
2003-04: Defying Gravity (Wicked)
2004-05: Find Your Grail (Spamalot)
2005-06: I'm Here (The Color Purple)
2006-07: The Song of Purple Summer (Spring Awakenin

Tony Award for Best Song
 Apr 1 2014, 12:28:25 PM
He Lives/They Live In You does indeed show up on the sequel soundtrack CD "Rhythm of the Pride Lands". I guess it would come down to a Tony committee to determine whether or not it could be considered eligible or not. In any event, I think "Wheels of a Dream" from Ragtime is far more likely to take home this prize.
Tony Award for Best Song
 Apr 1 2014, 10:07:54 AM

Updated as it has now been 19 years since the original article was published...

Stumbled upon this fascinating article from over 19 years ago in which Peter Filichia, writing for Playbill, speculated on the Broadway songs that would have been nominated (and won) the Tony Award for Best Song. My first thought was what a missed opportunity that the real Tonys never embraced this idea, but then my second thought was to wonder what would have been nominated and won in the years since his original article was published.

http://www.playbill.com/article/stagestruck-by-peter-filichia-the-best-song-tony-goes-to-com-75783

When we left off, Peter proclaimed the nominees of the 1997-98 season to be: "They Live in You" (The Lion King), "Who Will Love Me as I Am?" (Side Show), "Bernadette" (The Capeman), and "Wheels of a Dream" (Ragtime). Winner?

And would anyone like to take a stab at the nominees and winners of the Best Song Tony for the seasons 1998-1999 through to 2016-2017. (Feel free to dispute Peter's selections as well!)

(Incidentally, my ulterior motive in gathering this information is to put together a mix tape of all of the Best Songs for me to enjoy. Do people still do mix tapes?)

Clean version of David Mamet play?
 Jun 15 2010, 10:27:39 AM
An update.

I did email Samuel French at the time, never got a response.

The show has now opened. The f-word has been stripped out of the production, replaced with the less offensive "frick".

First review came out, acknowledging this, but doesn't seem all that bothered.

From the lack of interest from the publishing house, maybe we can draw from this that certain leeway is given to community theatres to adjust language of shows they are licensed to do.

Maybe I was the one over-reacting. I thought this was a bigger deal, but times are tough, and I guess even Mamet's representatives don't really care what happens to his work, as long as they can cash a check. Sad but true.

Here is the link to the show in question... and you thought I was making it up...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/06/15/532912/toned-down-mamet-is-good-for-laughs.html

May 18 2010, 03:38:28 PM
It would be a pointless to even attempt to defend the authenticity of my post, and ironically, it sounds as though a call placed in to the rights holder would only lead to a gentle reminder to the theatre to do the show as written, which would mean that there would never be any proof that the theatre was contemplating doing this in the first place.

The only way to show that what I am saying is true would be to wait until after opening weekend to report them. Really, until they try and

May 18 2010, 09:56:52 AM
I've just never heard the term "sock puppet" before, so I'm not even sure what it means.

It is true I joined today, but I have lurked for far longer than that.

I was pretty sure that it was illegal, but I have also seen instances in which community theatres have made changes and cuts to plays, so I figured there just might be some sort of leeway allowed.

The main reason I was looking for advice was because my friend wants to do the show. He would prefer to do it a

May 18 2010, 01:34:48 AM
I am not a sock puppet. What a strange thing to say.

To be perfectly clear, I don't agree with the decision being made by this theatre. I think that plays should be done as written, but I know that there is some leeway that groups get away with. I just think this is a step too far.

I mean, we're talking David Mamet here. Cutting the profanity seems wrong.

May 18 2010, 12:46:21 AM
A friend of mine was so excited to get cast in a David Mamet play at a local community theatre, but he has since become frustrated that the director is cutting out all of the "bad" language for fears of offending the audience.

I happen to agree with my friend that it is wrong to do that, especially with David Mamet, whose plays are in fact known for their raw language.

Is this even legal, or does a director have the freedom to clean up language at his discretion? I can underst

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You