pixeltracker

A weekend in December: any Musical suggestions?

A weekend in December: any Musical suggestions?

jacksprat
#1A weekend in December: any Musical suggestions?
Posted: 10/5/14 at 7:27pm

Long-time Broadway musical enthusiast, and yet, I've only seen one Broadway musical on the actual Great White Way... and that was almost 20 years ago! Tragic, I know. I see the tours, but somehow, I never manage to get up to NYC.

Anyway, I just got word that I will be staying in Manhattan over a weekend in December, and now I have to decide which shows to see. I've currently zeroed in on "On The Town" and "Side Show" as the productions I am most hopeful to be wonderful experiences. On the verge of buying my tickets... but just before I commit - I figured - why not just see if anyone on the Broadwayworld message boards has any strong opinions, or recommendations...

Also, if I stick with these two shows, is there anything I need to know as to which would be better when? I'm thinking of seeing one on Saturday night and one on Sunday afternoon.

Finally... my Sunday evening is rather empty... Suggestions?

Showface
#2A weekend in December: any Musical suggestions?
Posted: 10/5/14 at 7:37pm

Perhaps this thread dealing with planning a Broadway trip in December asking for musical suggestions might help:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1077127&dt=14

jacksprat
#2A weekend in December: any Musical suggestions?
Posted: 10/5/14 at 7:47pm

Thanks! Incidentally, I've seen "Curious Incident" in London which was phenomenal, or else I would see that. Now to decide if it would be better to see Side Show from the center of row M in the Orchestra section, or the second row of the Mezzanine...

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#3A weekend in December: any Musical suggestions?
Posted: 10/5/14 at 7:56pm

My two suggestions for you are:
Aladdin
Beautiful: The Carole King Musical

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4A weekend in December: any Musical suggestions?
Posted: 10/5/14 at 9:27pm

I'd consider the most recent Tony winner, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder (in place of On the Town).

If it's still running, You Can't Take it with You is really quite a hoot! (Although I realize you asked about musicals.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#5A weekend in December: any Musical suggestions?
Posted: 10/5/14 at 9:30pm

Seems like Cabaret with Alan Cumming would be a worthwhile consideration... it toured, but still, Alan is so amazing.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#6A weekend in December: any Musical suggestions?
Posted: 10/5/14 at 9:44pm

Yes, Cabaret and Gentlemen's Guide are just so extraordinary, I fully agree with the fine posters above.

Videos