News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BosBroad

Member Name: BosBroad
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Re:  Apr 27 2015, 12:44:05 PM

That's correct.  They all come out for both signatures and photos except Anna.  Very accessible.

LIVING ON LOVE Reviews  Apr 22 2015, 12:11:08 AM

Maybe we could have a talk with and about Pinto thread, and that way if we want to read about the topic of the other threads, it will be easier.  Just a suggestion.  

LIVING ON LOVE Reviews  Apr 21 2015, 07:23:37 PM

GreasedLightning:

Well, I think it takes an open mind and maybe a small knowledge of basic opera myths.  I'm not exaggerating when I say I laughed throughout (except the first 10 minutes).

LIVING ON LOVE Reviews  Apr 21 2015, 05:19:30 PM

They have some great pull quotes running.

www.livingonlovebroadway.com

Overall, very happy with the reception.  I thought Teachout was just.... way off... but I can see where most of the reviewers were coming from.  I personally loved the play and want to see it again, but I get that this is a show that has a particular demographic.

LIVING ON LOVE Reviews  Apr 21 2015, 12:02:17 AM

I agree until the last month marketing was absolutely horrible.  Really, the only success in marketing they've had has been free media generated by Fleming's people, and I'm not sure her message is cohesive with the rest of the marketing, although I'm still not sure what the marketing message is.  They changed their artwork twice, I think.

They seemed at first to bill the entire project only as "Renee Fleming debuts on Broadway, not singing, doing something she's never done. So please pay $100+ to see it."  That not surprisingly wasn't successful.  

LIVING ON LOVE Reviews  Apr 20 2015, 11:54:27 PM

One *possible* part of the explanation - at the stage door, a bunch of us were wondering about the difference in the reception for the jokes between opera fans and non-opera fans.  I think you miss A LOT if you don't know opera.  And if you don't like opera and its trappings, I think it would be a hard play to sit through.  

I found a bunch of the opera-centered jokes hysterical -I mean really, really funny.  I can't identify non-opera centered jokes like that.<

LIVING ON LOVE Reviews  Apr 20 2015, 09:19:26 PM

HogansHero - Is that a prediction or something more?

LIVING ON LOVE Reviews  Apr 20 2015, 09:11:21 PM

I think Philly is talking about free media/press not advertising.  Fleming has been everywhere in the last three days.  TV, radio, print... she's been pushing hard.  I just don't see it saving the play, though, unfortunately.  

LIVING ON LOVE Reviews  Apr 20 2015, 09:04:42 PM

Are you hearing something about May 3?

For Renee Fleming Fans and Happy Opening to LIVING ON LOVE  Apr 20 2015, 01:35:42 PM

Well, I loved it and so did all my friends.  The audience was laughing throughout.  

I don't understand the vitriol from many, but to each their own.  

They have a basic marketing issue in that they're trying to market a play on the back of an opera singer who isn't performing opera in it but who does perform opera throughout NY many times each year (providing ample opportunities to see her).

Crossing my fingers for them tonight.  

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15  Apr 13 2015, 09:56:14 PM

Philly,

I didn't say anything about attendance not being bad.  I think all of the indicators are bad.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15  Apr 13 2015, 05:46:15 PM

I have heard that Fleming is forgoing a salary.  Unclear if it's true, but she often donates performances where she could make big money.  

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15  Apr 13 2015, 03:32:20 PM

Wow.  That's even wore for LoL than I expected. 

Well.... even divas need reality checks once in a while.  

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 12 2015, 03:41:21 AM

Philly,

The producer is The Lyric Opera of Chicago, which finishes the year slightly in the red repeatedly.  They would have to have serious interest from others.  

Also, this is part of the Renee Fleming Musicals Initiative.  She may not be brilliant at running her own Broadway "career," but she's been a super administrator there.  If there's any chance that this won't benefit Lyric Opera, it won't happen.  She'll never risk the company - and ne

Heidi Chronicles to close?  Apr 11 2015, 02:05:57 PM

Philly,

The % of gross is going to be very low.  No question.  Hopefully it will be high enough to sustain.  I don't need to see the full results to know this.

Now, I'm moving to the LoL thread and will not feed this here any longer.

I hope HC picks up... I hate to see plays fail and people lose jobs, even if it was probably inevitable.

Heidi Chronicles to close?  Apr 11 2015, 12:57:49 PM

Philly,

She can draw audiences, but not enough for a product that can't draw on its own at all, and not in this kind of product anyway... at the moment.  They changed their marketing for a reason.

I think it's a shame the producers didn't seem to realize the problem with hiring an opera singer famous for singing who'd never been on Broadway and promoting it around her as a product in which she doesn't sing.  They've changed that a bit now, but the damage may be

Living on Love Previews  Apr 8 2015, 07:54:06 PM

There seems to be such a wide range of opinions on this play.  If you look at social media, even a lot of non Fleming fanatics are posting about how funny they thought it was.  But then others... not at all.  It's really odd how divergent opinion is.  

Of course, I thought it was very funny.. but I have a bias going in.

Living on Love Previews  Apr 8 2015, 07:41:05 PM

Interesting points.  Thanks.  I think I'm okay with how the interaction between the writers is written - I suspect it's some acting choices that didn't really convey the attraction at the beginning.  Although, they are both supposed to be smitten with their celebrities, so maybe a single moment of recognition of their attraction is missing.

The running around stuff ONLY stuck out to me because Fleming was singing (sort of) Queen of the Night at the time and she's nev

Living on Love Previews  Apr 8 2015, 05:58:31 PM

Broadwayfan24,

What would you do to strengthen it?

I've been thinking about this, and I think I have three things.

First, I'd cut a portion of the first 10-15 minutes. 

Second, and I think it's way too late for this, but - I'd try to do some more choreography for the moment in the second act that is most farcical - everyone running around as Fleming sings a section of Queen of the Night.  It was too random when I saw it, esp wh

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15  Apr 7 2015, 12:36:04 AM

Thanks everyone for the info on It's Only A Play.  Appreciate it - I didn't know it had recouped, but I just looked last year's grosses and can see why.

So, if you'll indulge me then - a more general question.  When I look at % gross on the chart, is there a percentage range that signifies health or suggests concern?  

If a musical is at 65% is that good?  What if a play is 60%?  I suppose it would depend on size and

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You