News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for groucho797

groucho797 Profile Photo
Member Name: groucho797
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
 Nov 25 2017, 03:42:33 PM
1. The Addams Family (a nearly perfect piece of junk)
2. Wonderland ("I know, let's have THREE divas!")
3. Ghost (see below)
4. Les Mis (leave Victor Hugo ALONE)
5. Hamilton (had me chewing my leg off)

Dishonorable Mention: most shows based on movies. Let's just do the movie word-for-word with a bunch of crap songs shoved in (I'm looking at you, 9 to 5).

And I will NEVER sit through Sound of Music again!

American Psycho sheet music available
 Jul 28 2016, 12:46:55 AM

I just saw it as them getting their late-'80s freaks on. That song had the sexiest and most fun choreography in the show.

American Psycho sheet music available
 Jul 12 2016, 09:50:38 PM

tazber said: "For those interested:"

I'm naming my next child after you. Thank you!!!!!

Anatomy Of A Broadway Flop: What Sank These Four Shows?
 Jul 4 2016, 09:43:59 PM

theatreguy12 said: "Same goes with American Psycho.  The only degree to which I cared about what the critics thought was that it was their reviews that eventually helped lead to its closing.  I've had too many experiences where I went against the critics and saw a show and loved it.  I was going to see American Psycho regardless.

Selfishly I'm glad I was able to see it.  I'm bummed for the cast and creators it didn't keep them emplo

American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
 Jun 14 2016, 02:22:06 PM

haterobics said: "http://www.podcastone.com/embed?progID=592&pid=1656567"

Thanks a lot for this! Will listen as soon as I'm near speakers. Hope there's an update on cast recording soon before it loses too much more momentum.

Favorite American Psycho songs
 Jun 8 2016, 04:11:25 PM

Bettyboy72 said: "I have to revise and say I love just about the entire score. The lyrics are genius-primal, moving, existential. Truly beautiful. I love a musical where you go from dancing in your seat to having your heartbroken. I will say when the press preview happened and I heard "A Girl Before" I initially didn't like it. Thought it was awful. With repeating listening, I find it absolutely beautiful and captivating."

Yep, yep, and yep. While the O

American Psycho tour?
 Jun 8 2016, 11:23:37 AM

ebontoyan said: "I doubt this show will go on tour but I am still hoping for an OBCR!"

Yeah, that, too. The London recording just frustrates me now.

American Psycho tour?
 Jun 8 2016, 10:24:05 AM

The last show was a lot like a rock concert. It seemed like many folks knew the material already, laughing and cheering at appropriate places. The curtain call standing ovation was nearly two minutes (yep, my seatmate and I timed it). Maybe if they advertised it like that and pushed for a younger audience, it could work.

The show in general had DNA from Pink Floyd: The Wall and Genesis' "Lamb Lies Down" shows. Guess that's showing my age, huh?

Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
 Jun 7 2016, 11:28:30 PM

Women on the Verge (still think Lovesick is a great song)

Gentleman's Guide (playing eight parts? Sounds cool!)

Great American Trailer Park Musical (the score is fun to play)

Bat Boy (deceptively complex score - interesting)

And, yes - American Psycho

Jun 6 2016, 02:09:23 PM

I'm cross-posting something that I wrote for another Psycho thread, but now it seems more like it belongs here. I mention in passing that I saw the show four times - twice in previews and the final Friday and Sunday night shows. Comments are cordially invited.

Here’s sort of a “post-mortem” (more like a series of random musings) about the show (warning: too long, don’t read):

The final show reminded me more of a rock concert than a Broadway show.

American Psycho Broadway vs London cast album question
 Jun 6 2016, 02:04:31 PM

worthing5 said: "Particularly Mr Walker, who seemed to be playing it like George Hearn in that old video of Sweeney Todd. "

I see that as an excellent point. I hadn't seen Len Cariou in the original production (for a bunch of stupid reasons) and only became aware of the show when PBS aired it on Great Performances. I took Hearn's performance as the first impression and was startled by Len's laid-back approach. On the other hand, I agree in reverse -

Jun 6 2016, 02:01:42 PM

CATSNYrevival said: "Best show of the season. Hamilton who?"

Oh, I agree - or else I wouldn't have started such a mushy thread.

Peter Shaffer has passed
 Jun 6 2016, 12:46:59 PM

And yet both shows were integral to my appreciation of the power of theatre. I acknowledge his passing with deepest respect.

Jun 6 2016, 12:43:12 PM

LOL! Well, that was fun while it lasted....

Jun 6 2016, 12:35:52 PM

It just seemed logical to post a thread specifically for folks who enjoyed the show and were sorry it closed. Hopefully those who hated the show will exhibit a similar logic by creating their own thread for that purpose. Haters gotta hate, but lovers gotta love, so I'm hoping we can have our little party without anyone coming in specifically to poop in the pool.

American Psycho - closing week audiences
 Jun 6 2016, 10:59:33 AM

newintown said: "I'm not so sure of all that, but there are several approaches to Flop Love - one is to just say (as I do about The Scottsboro Boys) "

You win that point. I crawled out of Scottsboro Boys - devastated, but glad I saw it.

Jun 6 2016, 10:56:35 AM

E. riley said: "Looking forward to your post mortem. I really don't want this show to be forgotten..."

I’m flattered to hear that. I mention in passing that my 18-yo son loved the show. As promised, here’s sort of a “post-mortem” (more like a series of random musings) about the show (warning: too long, don’t read):

The final show reminded me more of a rock concert than a Broadway show. Funny how everyone loved Pink Floyd: The Wall when it toured. Frankly, I think this s

Jun 6 2016, 09:59:51 AM

Kad said: "That arrangement of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" is great."

That, too. Nods to "In the Air Tonight" as well.

Jun 6 2016, 09:57:46 AM

You Are What You Wear (hooked me immediately)

Not a Common Man

Killing Spree

I Am Back

This Is Not an Exit

Honorable Mention: A Girl Before, Cards, Mistletoe Alert

This show is significantly different enough from the London production to warrant its own recording. I sure hope we get it.

Jun 6 2016, 09:53:33 AM

Jane2 said: "" Yes... thirty years ahead of its time. "

In what way?
"

I'd start by saying that I don't know many shows that cite Depreche Mode and New Order as inspirations for a score, though I think in time those influences will prove useful again.

Lighting, choreography (especially), staging - pretty graphic for Disney's Broadway. Subject matter - I don't know that audiences were particularly ready to be entert

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You