pixeltracker

American Psycho - closing week audiences

American Psycho - closing week audiences

holdyourbatboy
#1American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/3/16 at 12:40pm

Hi,

Has anyone been to the show this week?  I hope audiences are "getting it" (the humor/satire elements) and giving big ovations to the hard working cast during their final week.

I'm going tonight -- will be rooting for them!  It's too bad such an original, DIFFERENT bway experience couldn't catch on -- but not a huge surprise. 

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#2American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/3/16 at 12:53pm

I was there last night, 2nd row mezzanine. It was full if I'm not mistaken, and I couldn't see the orchestra but I'm pretty sure that was as well. Entrance applause for Walker, everyone seemed extremely receptive and excited. Definitely a lot of laughter. 

There was a great standing ovation at the end. I really liked the show, sad to know that it's ending.

perfectliar
#3American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/3/16 at 12:53pm

I went last night. Mezzanine was sold out, and the audience was very responsive: laughing throughout, big response to many songs (especially You Are What You Wear and Killing Spree), immediate standing ovation when the lights went out.

Also, I have never seen so many younger (probably 35 and under) men at a Broadway musical. It may not have lasted long, but it looked like they were bringing in some people who wouldn't otherwise want to go to a show, and they seemed excited about it based on the intermission and post-show chatter.

Updated On: 6/3/16 at 12:53 PM

slumdogdelaware
#4American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/3/16 at 12:55pm

perfectliar said: "I went last night. Mezzanine was sold out, and the audience was very responsive: laughing throughout, big response to many songs (especially You Are What You Wear and Killing Spree), immediate standing ovation when the lights went out.

Also, I have never seen so many younger (probably 35 and under) men at a Broadway musical. It may not have lasted long, but it looked like the show was bringing in some people who wouldn't otherwise want to go to a show, and they seemed excited about it based on the intermission and post-show chatter.

Where were you sitting? I was also in the mezz last night. And I totally agree about the presence of young men!

neonlightsxo
#5American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/3/16 at 1:00pm

I've heard it's been full and fantastic.

perfectliar
#6American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/3/16 at 1:30pm

slumdogdelaware said: "Where were you sitting? I was also in the mezz last night. And I totally agree about the presence of young men!"

I was in row F, center mezz.

desperateAndee Profile Photo
desperateAndee
#7American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/3/16 at 1:40pm

I was also there last night (right mezz, row H) and the house was definitely buzzing. Massive applause. A lot of laughs. I even heard a couple screams during the opening and one person behind me had a very visceral reaction to all of the blood in I Am Back. Perfectliar is correct, as there were two business executives sitting next to me who definitely were not regular theatre goers but seemed excited and giddy about seeing the material on stage. I know we keep saying it, but it's truly such a shame this is going. If it had more time, it definitely could've become a cult success. 

Going on Sunday night for Patrick's final slaughter. 

ChiTheaterFan
#8American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/3/16 at 1:54pm

This was one of the first musicals I have ever been to that had a line for the men's room that was longer than the ladies. And t was all young bros. I thought maybe it was just that night!

Sooooo sad I can't see this again before it closes. I envy you all. 

slumdogdelaware
#10American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/3/16 at 2:54pm

PThespian said: "I was ushering up in the Mezz last night in the center/left.

.The house count was 960 about 90 mins prior to opening. I'm sure it reached 1000+ with last minute ticket sales. 

The reaction was much more enthusiastic than I have seen previously during Act One. I was dealing with an internal issue during Act Two so didn't watch most of it. 

I agree that the demographics for the show are quite interesting. 

I think you may have helped me find my seat! I was Row B, seat 5. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#12American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/3/16 at 6:54pm

Is any of the merch discounted?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

RW3
#13American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/3/16 at 7:50pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Is any of the merch discounted?

Good question. I'm going tomorrow and it wouldn't hurt to save some money.

LightsOut90
#14American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 12:28am

as of Monday it wasnt, and they were actually starting to run out of things.

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#15American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 3:08am

Just back from the Friday night show. Only t-shirts that are left are XL and XXL. Didn't see any empty seats, audience was clearly there to cheer the show on - noisy and heartwarming response. Ben's ankle is still taped, Music volume was subdued, a bit of a shock given the previous audio onslaughts.

I'll be there for the final show, and I intend to do a post-mortem (pardon the pun) afterwards. I'll be sporting one of the show shirts.

Updated On: 6/4/16 at 03:08 AM

TerrenceIsTheMann
#16American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 4:26am

Ugh, I feel for Ben Walker. He is so damn talented, and didn't get either a Tony nom, or a long run. Hopefully he comes back to Broadway again soon, but I have a feeling this experience might keep him in Hollywood for a bit.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#17American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 4:31am

I was dealing with an internal issue during Act Two so didn't watch most of it. 

Sounds painful...

lucas_glenn
#18American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 4:56am

I'm going tonight and couldn't be more excited. Been wanting to see this show for a while. 

fbueller
#19American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 5:52am

Ben's ankle is still taped, Music volume was subdued, a bit of a shock given the previous audio onslaughts.

I noticed Ben's ankle was taped when I saw the show.  Was he injured in one of the performances?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#21American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 8:54am

I honestly would not blame Ben if he just stayed in Hollywood, the snubs for this show are some of the worst I've seen in Tony history. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#22American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 9:19am

Going to the matinee today. I'm already buying a t shirt no matter what size!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#23American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 9:27am

Reminds me of the last days of Carrie.

PThespian glad you're ok!

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#24American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 9:28am

Jane2 said: "Going to the matinee today. I'm already buying a t shirt no matter what size!"

Correction - if you have a hard body, they still had those shirts in medium (it's printed on the back). No guarantees on what will be left by now, though.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#25American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 12:38pm

thanks! If I have to, I always buy a huge size and wear it as a nightshirt.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#26American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 8:29pm

Jane2 said: "thanks! If I have to, I always buy a huge size and wear it as a nightshirt."

Charming! And you're certainly not the first person to sleep with a psycho.

schubox
#27American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/4/16 at 8:54pm

Really bummed I'm going to miss this. From what I've seen on talk shows and the like I'd love it. And I'm a big fan of the book and movie. Is there any chance of a cast recording? Really sucks it closed so soon 

RW3
#28American Psycho - closing week audiences
Posted: 6/5/16 at 12:26am

Saw the matinee today. Everyone was giving 100%. Benjamin walker was stellar. Helene Yorke was comedic gold. Walker, Ripley, and Yorke all got entrance applauses. After waiting 3 years to see the show, it definitely exceeded my expectations and more. And just to get a little superficial, but their bodies are freaking unreal in person. Lastly, I need a cast recording!!!!

Videos