News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Mr. Dolly Levi

Member Name: Mr. Dolly Levi
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Playwright in search of an agent
 Dec 22 2023, 03:38:55 PM

I have written a play that had a very limited run in a regional theater.  Of course, I'm convinced that it's great, and I'm trying to find the play a home for a longer run.  I'm completely new to this world, and I don't know exactly how to proceed.  I'm sending the play to theaters that accept unsolicited submissions as well as play competitions.  But I've also been told to try to find an agent.  Can anyone direct me to a website/data base

"First Monday in October"
 Dec 16 2023, 02:12:35 PM

I am trying to determine if two plays about Supreme Court justices were filmed and, if so, how I might find copies of the films.

The play "First Monday in October" came to Broadway in the fall of 1978 and starred Henry Fonda and Jane Alexander.  It only ran for 79 performances, but was subsequently made into a film. "Mountain" was a one-man play about Justice William O. Douglas that played at the Lucille Lortel theater in the spring of 1990.  It starred Le

Plays about Supreme Court Justices
 Apr 24 2019, 09:07:07 PM
I am trying to come up with a definitive list of plays about the Supreme Court and the Justices, and I was hoping to draw on your collective wisdom. So far, my list includes:

First Monday in October (Henry Fonda and Jane Alexander)
Mountain (with Len Cariou playing William Douglas)
Thurgood (Laurence Fishburne)
The Originalist
The Magnificent Yankee

Are there other plays that I am missing?

BROADWAY THINGS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
 Dec 29 2015, 05:47:52 PM

I appreciate the fact that those who have not seen Carol Channing on the stage, but instead have only seen her on "Love Boat," might not understand her appeal.  She is one of the few performers who can walk onto the stage and literally hold the audience in the palm of her hand. Voice was unique, and got more "unique" as she aged. Not the greatest dancer.  Perhaps didn't have the greatest range of acting skills.  But, to paraphrase an old Broadway reviewe

Contacting Carol Channing for an autograph...
 Mar 31 2015, 11:13:17 AM
I did not have any luck trying to contact Carol Channing through Mr. Boll. If any one has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Doesn't she live in Rancho Mirage, California?
I'd Rather Be Right
 Dec 3 2014, 11:27:11 AM
I'm searching for a cast album, if such a things exist, of Rodgers and Hart's "I'd Rather be Right." I'm especially interested in finding a recording of one of the songs from the show, namely, "A Little Bit of Constitutional Fun." Any suggestions? Many thanks...
Backstage activities
 Feb 16 2014, 12:07:10 PM
For those Broadway actors and actresses whose roles dictate long stretches of time between scenes, what typically do they do backstage? Watch television? Play cards? Nap? Smoke on the fire escape? Call their agent? In other words, how do you both stay in character and fill the time?
Dolly will never go away again....
 Nov 21 2013, 01:36:18 PM
I'm sorry - the link didn't work. Here is what the NYT is saying:

"Carol Channing, above, is set to return for a one-night engagement commemorating the 50th anniversary of the opening of “Hello, Dolly!” The event’s producer, Daniel Nardicio, announced on Sunday that the transgender performer Justin Vivian Bond would host the celebration on Jan. 20 at Town Hall in Manhattan, and that it would include filmed celebrity tributes, footage from Ms. Channing’s career and video questions submi

Dolly will never go away again....
 Nov 21 2013, 11:04:37 AM
Dolly is returning back where she belongs in January, and there is nary a peep on the message board?

Sally Struthers Will Lead 50th Anniversary National Tour of Hello, Dolly!
 Nov 12 2013, 11:01:01 PM
Saw "Hello, Dolly!" in Roanoke, Virginia tonight. Sally was, in a word, fantastic. I've seen this show with many Dolly's - including Carol - and Sally can more than hold her own. Well worth the price of admission (300 dollars for a family of four).
Dolly in DC??
 Mar 24 2013, 09:53:04 PM
I saw "Dolly" on Saturday night. Having seen Carol Channing in a revival tour in the early 1980's, this is a musical that I adore. I really enjoyed the production. As noted earlier, it is "stripped down" - but they make very creative use of the minimal sets and props. I've never seen Nancy Opel in a production, but I was really impressed - acting and singing was wonderful, and she did a great job of capturing Dolly's "essence." Nancy did seem to move stiffly, and, at times, she appeared to b
Kathleen Freeman
 Aug 21 2012, 02:38:13 PM
Did anybody see Kathleen Freeman as Miss Hannigan, and, if so, how was she? Are there any photographs or recordings of Miss Freeman in this role?
Carol Channing - Larger Than Life
 May 29 2012, 01:10:32 PM
Now that "Carol Channing - Larger Than Life" is out on DVD, I was wondering what people thought of the movie....
Robert Preston
 May 9 2012, 10:33:19 AM
Having just watched "The Music Man" with my children, as well as "Victor/Victoria" with my wife (it was a slow and rainy weekend), I am interested in learning more about Robert Preston. There doesn't appear to have been a biography written about Preston, does anyone have any suggested sources of information? Anyone have any good stories?
Why can't the English teach their children how to enunciate?
 May 6 2012, 04:43:20 PM
Last week I purchased the original CATS cast album. I appreciate the fact that the lyrics are more convoluted and complicated than the average Rodgers and Hammerstein show, but, that being said, I found it very difficult to understand the lyrics of any song that involved the chorus/ensemble. My high school drama teacher used to refer to this as "mush mouth" - do I need to have my hearing checked?

Carol Channing
 May 3 2012, 12:43:43 PM
Unless I've missed it, there has not been much news about Carol Channing since the death of her husband. Any word of how she is doing?
Jerry Herman and the Kennedy Center Honors
 Dec 6 2010, 01:17:52 PM
Did anybody attend the Kennedy Center Honors last night and, if so, how was the tribute to Jerry Herman? The wire reports indicate that Carol Channing, Kelsey Grammer, and Angela Lansbury performed....
Gwen Verdon
 Nov 14 2010, 03:33:36 PM
I have always been a fan of Gwen Verdon, but I must confess that I don't know a lot about her life and career. A brief search on Amazon indicates that there are no book-length biographies on Miss Verdon. Does anyone have any suggestions on other sources of information on her life and career? And where do you believe Ms. Verdon ranks in the Pantheon of Broadway stars?
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You