News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for tmdonahue

Member Name: tmdonahue
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Cheap and Clean Places to Eat in the Theatre District?  Oct 19 2021, 08:24:49 AM

HogansHero said: "The OP seems to have outdone themselves in failing to ask a question to which a useful answer can be provided. Not just what is meant by cheap, but what is meant by clean. And while we're at it, where in the theatre district and what sort of place?If one is going to the Belasco, one is unlikely to want suggestions on 9th in the 50s, and if one wants chikfila [I also agree that is a disgusting place to eat regardless of physical cleanliness], suggestions for Orso

Cheap and Clean Places to Eat in the Theatre District?  Oct 18 2021, 08:26:33 AM

Because of the pandemic, it's been a long time since I've been to NYC and the theatre.  Before the pandemic, I loved both of the late Joe Allen's restaurants, Joe Allen's and Orso.  The food at both places is not special, write home to mom, Michelin star but it is always and consistently good and well-priced.  Service is good too.  I've also had some good meals at Becco.

What plays could work well as a musical?  Aug 24 2021, 08:39:09 AM

Until you find a couple geniuses to do it, none of them.  How Green Was My Valley?  Tales of the South PacificPygmalion?  Wicked? (Have you read the novel?)  The Ballad of Sweeney Todd?  Fun Home ?

Somewhat off-topic, a book of children's poems, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats?

More off topic, what about adapting a painting into a musical, ala "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte"?

Sunday

Genius.

More general Broadway financial background  Aug 2 2021, 08:49:55 AM

This is self-serving, but you might want to look at our book, Stage Money, 2nd Edition.  The book looks at the financing of professional theater, both commercial and not-for-profit.  It is not a textbook and was written as a general background.  We began it because what we read in newspapers and on the internet didn't quite make sense to us.  After researching the topic, it does make sense.  The 2nd edition was in the publication process when the pandemic hit so it doesn't include anything about the effect of that on theater or what the recovery will look like. 

Answers to questions  Jul 30 2021, 09:41:46 AM

I didn't sign an NDA so I think I can write this.  I rec'd a prospective on this production.  It is non-Equity and the physical production will be downscaled from the original Broadway production.

Theaters Inaccessibility  Jun 28 2021, 09:30:37 AM

This is self-serving but if you want to know more about the financial structure of professional theater, I recommend our book Stage Money Second Edition.  We wrote it because although we'd been lifelong theater goers, we didn't understand the financial structure of professional theater.  The second edition was in publication when the pandemic started and so doesn't have anything to say about that or the future, but it gives a good, quick general background to the jobs, sources of money, risks of investment, unions, ticket prices, etc.

Another Sondheim Suggestion  May 22 2021, 08:32:02 AM

"It started out like a song" from Merrily We Roll Along.

Buying Tickets In The Mail In The Old Days - My First Trip to NYC  May 19 2021, 09:13:11 AM

For my first trip to NYC, I wanted to see "A Chorus Line," which had recently opened and was firmly SRO.  My boyfriend--later husband--who had lived earlier in New York for six years, said, send a letter to the BO asking  for standing room, include a check and an SASE.  Got the ticket!  I was in my twenties and healthy so standing wasn't a problem.  I remember the first time the  periaktoi revolved, showing the mirrors, and the sound design upp

Too obvious?  May 13 2021, 08:58:42 AM

Joe Hardy from "Damn Yankees," a show I love in spite of everything.

Favorite GYPSY Production  Mar 16 2021, 08:57:27 AM

A cast album would not reflect her well but for me the best was Tyne Daly.  She created a fierce Rose on stage.  When she sang "Everything's Coming Up Roses" it was like a premonition of doom.

Check his contract.  Mar 15 2021, 09:21:40 AM

What's the stop clause?

Can you help identifying this song? Could it be?  Feb 4 2021, 08:27:58 AM

"Backstage Babble" from Applause.   I'm not at all sure, that's just what came to mind. 

Lyrics stolen from another website that specializes in lyrics:

[FIRST NIGHTERS]
Ba ba ba ba da bum
Ba ba ba ba da bum
Ba dum ba dum ba dum
Ba dum ba dum ba dum
Ba da ba da ba

Ba da ba wonderful
Ba da ba ba dum
Margo was just ba dum
Ba ba da she's looking mighty
Ba ba da ba ba ba da ba
Wasn&

Junior shows are a business  Feb 1 2021, 09:37:54 AM

from the second edition of our book, Stage Money:

"Theater licensing organizations have awakened to the number of high schools and even elementary schools that stage Broadway musicals and the organizations are making special efforts to market to this niche’s needs.  According to the New York Times, in 2012, high schools spent about $300 million on theatrical productions.  This figure is from the Educational Theatre Association which also maintains that the potential audience for high school productions in 2017-2018 was over 46 million people. According to the Times, Freddie Gershon, the co-chairman of the licensing firm Music Theatre International, created this business more than 20 years ago working with Stephen Sondheim to adapt Into the Woods for schools.

"One company specializing in this area, ITheatrics, works for licensing businesses to craft simpler, shorter versions of musicals that are appropriate for elementary and middle schools.  For example, Annie, on Broadway is a two-act, 2.5 hour-long musical with eight principal roles and an ensemble. The middle school version is 60 minutes long and has 25 speaking roles plus the ensemble. The 30-minute elementary school version has 20 speaking roles plus the ensemble.  (In school theater it is believed that there should be roles for everyone who wants to appear on stage.)

"There is a national festival called the “Junior Theater Festival” which brings student groups from all over to perform for each other, attend workshops, and witness new adaptations made just for them.  The festival is sponsored by Playbill, Disney Musicals, and Music Theatre International.

"Sean Patrick Flahaven, the chief executive office of the Musical Company, said a successful title in the youth market can generate $1 million or more a year in revenue.  Music Theater International has a program called Broadway Junior, offering 62 shows, some in different formats for different performing venues, some of them shows that have never been seen on Broadway.  Each show includes a “Show Kit” that includes a director's guide, curriculum activities and lesson plans, 30 actor scripts, two rehearsal/accompaniment CDs, a piano/vocal score, a DVD with choreography, and 30 copies of “Family Matters” a book to guide parents of the budding performers.  Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization offers “Getting to Know” or “G2K” versions for younger performers.  Theatrical Rights Worldwide LLC calls its adaptations “School Editions” and “Young at Part.” And so on."

This was written before the pandemic so the "Junior Theatre Festival" happened on-line this year.  This has been going on for some years, at venues around the country.  Maybe you're not crazy.  

Post covid, likelihood of needing a college degree for theatre?  Jan 11 2021, 08:25:06 AM

There is no degree requirement for ANY theater job.  But so many folks want to work in theater that the people hiring need some ways to narrow the pool of applicants.  A degree is one sign of seriousness, especially from a renowned school.  Union membership is aces.   Experience with a well-known producing group is another way to stand out.  Study with a well-regarded independent coach/teacher is good.  Internships can be better than nothing.

Otherwis

Let it out! Biggest theater pet peeves  Jan 1 2021, 08:07:59 AM

Standing ovations for everything.  What do you do when you're really excited?

Small lobbies; opening theaters 20 minutes before curtain.

Small lavatories with little access for the handicapped.  Few theaters with elevators to the mezzanine and balcony.

Small chairs.  Little leg room.

Audience members who arrive late and have little empathy with those already seated and trying to become involved with the show.

Musicals with bad sound design

Whoopi - "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom".  Dec 29 2020, 08:21:28 AM

I saw this revival.  Hadn't seen the script earlier.  I thought Whoopi was dull and seemed tired.  (Perhaps she was tired on the day I saw it.) The scenes with all her musicians were the opposite: alive, observant, involving.

2020: THE MUSICAL w/ Jimmy Fallon & Andrew Rannells  Dec 9 2020, 08:48:09 AM

Me, too.  I especially liked ending it with Rannells' novelty lyrics to "I Believe."

How a Spider-Man musical became a theatrical disaster  Nov 28 2020, 09:22:11 AM

I agree with VotePeron, Song of Spider-Man is a very interesting book.  

Here's my two cents: The producers were not experienced Broadway producers and this often is a death-knell.  One of the lead producers, Michael Cohl had been very successful with rock arena shows, but that doesn't translate.  A similar problem arose years earlier with Via Galactica in 1972, the supposed follow-up to Hair and the first show at the Uris The

I regret not seeing...  Nov 5 2020, 08:43:03 AM

The original Follies in 1971-1972. I was an undergraduate at Michigan at that time and didn't have the money to go to NYC, but that's the one that got away to me.

Favorite/Most Clever Rhymes  Nov 3 2020, 02:57:50 PM

To Owen22:  Yes!  I also love the idea of the three songs written to be, eventually, sung together.  "Now," "Soon" and "Later."  "...It's intolerable being tolerated."  On and on.  What a wit.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You