pixeltracker

...maybe it's time to cancel The Naked Cowboy...

...maybe it's time to cancel The Naked Cowboy...

Owen22
#1...maybe it's time to cancel The Naked Cowboy...
Posted: 3/13/21 at 2:29pm

While being arrested in Daytona FL for panhandling this went down:

https://youtu.be/y5ezpoaFuVQ?t=267

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2...maybe it's time to cancel The Naked Cowboy...
Posted: 3/13/21 at 2:44pm

Naked Cowboy is a trump supporter who I haven’t paid attention to in years. I hate this “cancel” sh*t, though. If you don’t like someone or something than do what I’ve done and ignore them or it. But waging a war to “cancel” something just brings more attention to it. I mean this whole week I’ve listened to nothing but Eminem since the little children decided “boo-hoo he’s so mean and my poor sensitive wittle ears are too delicate to wisten to it.”

Children, adults, f’n everyone just needs to GROW UP. God impregnated Mary without her knowing. Y’all gonna #CancelGod ? (Actually I can get behind that one)

Updated On: 3/13/21 at 02:44 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#3...maybe it's time to cancel The Naked Cowboy...
Posted: 3/13/21 at 5:10pm

I’m in favor of cancel culture when it’s used as a tool to take someone’s power and influence away, when they are actively using their platform to cause harm, or have demonstrated a pattern of abusing their position without remorse or signs of reformation. Naked Cowboy doesn’t really matter enough for that. He’s a joke. It’s not like any liberal people are still following him on social media anyway.

Also, unlike most people who get “cancelled,” Naked Cowboy isn’t employed by anyone, nor is he in a position where people have to collaborate with him professionally. So “cancelling” him would basically just involve...not giving him money, which most of us already do, and it’s a personal choice anyway. I guess you could stand near him with a protest sign to deter others from giving him money, but is he really worth it?

Updated On: 3/13/21 at 05:10 PM

ArtMan
#4...maybe it's time to cancel The Naked Cowboy...
Posted: 3/13/21 at 5:23pm

I mean ...he's a twit who stands in the middle of a crowd, in dingy white shorts, panhandling for money.  Back in the day, I gave him a second look when I saw him in Times Square.  Now, his "ratings" are so bad, he's already cancelled.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/13/21 at 5:37pm

Was he ever even remotely beloved in the first place?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#6...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/13/21 at 7:40pm

Cancel culture doesn't exist. If you don't like someone or something, don't support it. Period.

Gen Z is the living worst. Just remember to bitch about a free website and cancel people who made a mistake a decade ago, kids!

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#7...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/14/21 at 1:27am

Jordan Catalano said: "Naked Cowboy is a trump supporter who I haven’t paid attention to in years. I hate this “cancel” sh*t, though. If you don’t like someone or something than do what I’ve done and ignore them or it. But waging a war to “cancel” something just brings more attention to it. I mean this whole week I’ve listened to nothing but Eminem since the little children decided “boo-hoo he’s so mean and my poor sensitive wittle ears are too delicate to wisten to it.”

Children, adults, f’n everyone just needs to GROW UP. God impregnated Mary without her knowing. Y’all gonna #CancelGod ? (Actually I can get behind that one)
"

Generally agree, but either you don't remember the Gospels or have developed a fifth one to suit yourself. According to the texts, God asked her first, and she said yes.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#8...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/14/21 at 1:28am

Sutton Ross said: "Cancel culture doesn't exist. 

Maybe you mean "shouldn't"? It must exist, as the existence of this thread demonstrates.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#9...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/14/21 at 9:58am

I am going to tread gently on two unrelated cans of worms.

The Gospels are the product of a patriarchy that has evolved to preclude a woman from having control over her own body. Maybe it should raise Doubt (that's the theatre nexus ...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy ) about that aspect of that Gospel?

In its original form, "cancel culture" was used to refer to things (including names) not living people, like taking down statues and the names of buildings, schools, holidays, and so on. I think that is a legitimate label, and one open to debate. The term was recently appropriated by the radical right [among a few others, e.g., Cuomo] to apply to calls for resignation, etc. I do not find this latter use of the term legitimate. Political opposition, boycotts, etc. are and have always been a part of our democracy and a very proper subject for debate. The object of such actions can defend themself to their heart's content.

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#10...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/14/21 at 2:28pm

Cancel him from WHAT?  Standing on a public street? The guy's an abusive jerk and always has been. Simply don't give him money or publicity. 

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#11...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/14/21 at 10:37pm

What an odious individual. But did we have a better quality of Times Square habitué in days of "Rape Camp Elmo" and the True Israelites (who I still see from time to time)? I did miss the days of Moondog but he was a sublime anomaly who hung out around Columbus Circle. You go where your audience is and the Naked Cowboy and the Sesame Street hug-muggers have been appreciated by the tourist in Times Square. The fare inside the theaters is certainly more professional but its the same audience. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#12...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/14/21 at 10:50pm

HogansHero said: "I am going to tread gently on two unrelated cans of worms.

The Gospels are the product of a patriarchy that has evolved to preclude a woman from having control overher own body. Maybe it should raise Doubt (that's the theatre nexus ...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy ) about that aspect of that Gospel?

In its original form, "cancel culture" was used to refer to things (including names) notliving people, like taking down statues and the names of buildings, schools, holidays, and so on. I think that is a legitimate label, and one open to debate. The term was recentlyappropriated by the radical right [among a few others, e.g., Cuomo]to apply to calls for resignation, etc. I do not find this latter use of the term legitimate. Political opposition, boycotts, etc. are and have always been a part of our democracy and a very proper subject for debate. The object of such actions can defend themself to their heart's content.
"

Agree that there's a lot of body control (I'd say over men as well as women) in current Christianity, and thus yes it has evolved that way. But the Gospels come very early in the history of Christianity (or precede it, depending on how you look at things). It's one thing to say Jesus was not the product of a virgin birth. It's quite another to say Mary had no choice in being impregnated by God (if you accept she was impregnated by God) when no source from the era even remotely makes that claim. For the record, I don't refer to myself as a Christian, though I find the whole issue complicated. How can I be sure what happened?  I wasn't there. smiley

Different people pose different arguments about how cancel culture began and what it is intended to mean, how it has been co-opted. But right on this site we've had two calls for people to be cancelled in something like 6 months. And this ain't no "radical right" site. So I take that as proof that cancel culture does exist and that its negative aspects are not simply part of a right-wing smear campaign against the left.

Updated On: 3/14/21 at 10:50 PM

rosheider
#13...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/14/21 at 11:21pm

Cancel culture is hardly something new.  It used to be called "shunning", and it was the one of the most severe social rebukes in etiquette's arsenal.  

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#14...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/15/21 at 12:29am

rosheider said: "Cancel culture is hardly something new. It used to becalled "shunning", and it was the one of the most severe social rebukes in etiquette's arsenal."

The puritans and Victorians were fond of it. The latter did a pretty severe job on Oscar Wilde. I cannot respect the mindset of groups who do such things.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#15...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/15/21 at 12:56am

joevitus said: "Different people pose different arguments about how cancel culture began and what it is intended to mean, how it has been co-opted. But right on this site we've had two calls for people to be cancelled in something like 6 months. And this ain't no "radical right" site. So I take that as proof that cancel culture does exist and that its negative aspects are not simply part of a right-wing smear campaign against the left."

You seem confused. The "cancel culture" term is used by the radical right to OPPOSE cancellations, not endorse them. (It was, in fact, the centerpiece of the recent CPAC get-together.) What instances on this site are you referring to? (I am willing to bet a fully loaded sippy cup from the bar of a theatre of your choice that you cannot identify even one such instance.)

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#16...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/15/21 at 1:36am

HogansHero said: "joevitus said: "Different people pose different arguments about how cancel culture began and what it is intended to mean, how it has been co-opted. But right on this site we've had two calls for people to be cancelled in something like 6 months. And this ain't no "radical right" site. So I take that as proof that cancel culture does exist and that its negative aspects are not simply part of a right-wing smear campaign against the left."

You seem confused. The "cancel culture" term is used by the radical right to OPPOSE cancellations, not endorse them. (It was, in fact, the centerpiece of the recent CPAC get-together.) What instances on this site are you referring to? (I am willing to bet a fully loaded sippy cup from the bar of a theatre of your choice that you cannot identify even one such instance.)

"

Not confused, thought it seems you are misreading me. I get that you're saying the term is used by the right to oppose cancellation, but that doesn't mean cancellation doesn't exit, nor that it is a good thing to cancel people and works. We have someone on this thread saying cancel culture doesn't exist. Well, we've seen two calls in 6 months on this board for people to be cancelled. That isn't something the right wing is inventing or exaggerating to stop cancel culture. It's just real, specific evidence that cancel culture does exist. And I, for one, oppose it. If anyone doesn't want to support/endorse a work, great. When one encourages a group at large to "cancel" something, one is performing an act of mini-fascism.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#17...maybe it's time to overused-cliche-verb-false-concept The Naked Cowboy
Posted: 3/15/21 at 9:19am

joevitus said: "Not confused, thought it seems you are misreading me. I get that you're saying the term is used by the right to oppose cancellation, but that doesn't mean cancellation doesn't exit, nor that it is a good thing to cancel people and works. We have someone on this thread saying cancel culture doesn't exist. Well, we've seen two calls in 6 months on this board for people to be cancelled. That isn't something the right wing is inventing or exaggerating to stop cancel culture. It's just real, specific evidence that cancel culture does exist. And I, for one, oppose it. If anyone doesn't want to support/endorse a work, great. When oneencourages a group at large to "cancel" something, one isperforming an act of mini-fascism."

Boy, you really like throwing around labels incorrectly, don't you?

First, I asked what instances you were referring to and you just repeated what you had said before. That's OK. Second, you are confounding "cancel" with organized opposition to a person or work. When someone says that Cuomo needs to resign, that is not cancelling culture. When someone organizes a boycott, that's not cancel culture. When someone tries, for instance, to get someone's name removed from a building, that's cancel culture. The radical right has co-opted the term. And fascism is a form of governance based on authoritarianism etc. If I knew what you keep referring to obliquely, I am confident I could show you that it is not a part of cancel culture. 

tmdonahue
#18Check his contract.
Posted: 3/15/21 at 9:21am

What's the stop clause?

SouthernCakes
#19Check his contract.
Posted: 3/15/21 at 10:17am

I don’t mind some of it, but I’m so sick of some troll reaching back years on someone’s social media to “cancel” them. As is happening with the Bachelor if any of you are following that.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#20Check his contract.
Posted: 3/15/21 at 10:30am

I love when Glenn Close gets cancelled at the end of Dangerous Liaisons. "OOOOOOHHH!!! OOOOHHHH!!!" (fans clapping on balcony railing.)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#21Check his contract.
Posted: 3/15/21 at 10:53am

Glenn removing that makeup is one of my favorite scenes of all time.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#22Check his contract.
Posted: 3/15/21 at 11:36am

I don't actually agree that 2-3 years ago is that long ago.   Especially since she is dating a person of color.  I'd certainly want to know and to talk about it.  (not the cancel part of the drive.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#23Check his contract.
Posted: 3/15/21 at 11:51am

HogansHero said: "joevitus said: "Not confused, thought it seems you are misreading me. I get that you're saying the term is used by the right to oppose cancellation, but that doesn't mean cancellation doesn't exit, nor that it is a good thing to cancel people and works. We have someone on this thread saying cancel culture doesn't exist. Well, we've seen two calls in 6 months on this board for people to be cancelled. That isn't something the right wing is inventing or exaggerating to stop cancel culture. It's just real, specific evidence that cancel culture does exist. And I, for one, oppose it. If anyone doesn't want to support/endorse a work, great. When oneencourages a group at large to "cancel" something, one isperforming an act of mini-fascism."
Boy, you really like throwing around labels incorrectly, don't you?

First, I asked what instances you were referring to and you just repeated what you had said before. That's OK. Second, you are confounding "cancel" with organized opposition to a person or work.When someone says that Cuomo needs to resign, that is not cancelling culture. When someone organizes a boycott, that's not cancel culture. When someone tries, for instance, to get someone's name removed from a building, that's cancel culture. The radical right has co-optedthe term. And fascism is a form of governance based on authoritarianism etc. If I knew what you keep referring to obliquely, I am confident I could show you that it is not a part of cancel culture.
"

I'm not confounding anything. The examples I gave are people here saying "Let's cancel X." That isn't organizing a boycott, that's cancel culture.

And I said "mini-fascism" because in fact it is operating on a social, not a government level. But the idea that only governments can be fascistic at all is a false conceit that has gained popularity by people who can't deal with criticism for cancel culture. You only want to "allow" approved works in your society? That's a form of fascism.

I've tried really hard to make amends with you, and to offer a friendly hand. But here you are yet again, when someone won't agree with you, going for the snide comments and insults. As Larry McMurtry once wrote, there are some people it won't even do to fart with. If you aren't nicer in real life, you must be very lonely.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#24Check his contract.
Posted: 3/15/21 at 12:12pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Glenn removing that makeup is one of my favorite scenes of all time."

Ditto. They should have mailed the Oscar to her for that alone. 

I also love (and watch on a loop) the scene where she enters the room and begins howling and tearing at her clothes. I saw an interview with her and she said she was given one take on that because they only had one mirror to shatter. The woman is a force of nature. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#25Check his contract.
Posted: 3/15/21 at 12:53pm

joevitus said: "I'm not confounding anything. The examples I gave are people here saying "Let's cancel X." That isn't organizing a boycott, that's cancel culture." 

Yes you are lol but whatever. Where are these examples? Not in any response I see. And yes you are mis-labeling. And no I have not been snide or insulting. Just trying to engage meaningfully on a subject worth discussing but I guess you don't want that, which is fine. Nothing for you to make amends about; I don't even know what you mean. Again, whatever. 

Videos