News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Mitch101

Member Name: Mitch101
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

ILLINOISE Reviews  Apr 25 2024, 07:23:10 PM

Stay in your seats so you can experience all of the magic of the lighting and get a better view of the singers and band. You have excellent seats.

ILLINOISE Reviews  Apr 25 2024, 03:52:20 PM

I can only speak (this week) to what I saw at the Armory… but having seen all of this seasons musicals Illinoise is by far the best musical of the season. Stunning night. 

PRELUDE TO A KISS musical  Apr 21 2024, 05:46:37 PM

LOTS OF SPOILERS!!!!

I will try to contribute a little bit more to your worthy pan. In its current state, the show is such a huge misfire. Where you righty lay the blame is on the director. What a monumental disaster of direction. Every wrong choice from set design to lighting to casting that could be made to sabotage a new work has been made. How this man (the artistic director) was approved to direct this, after Craig Lucas has worked with such greats, is the real mystery here.

THE WIZ Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 17 2024, 05:18:54 PM

A very talented cast, who never knew a vocal riff they couldn’t sing, in one of the most cheap and misguided revivals in years. All blame must rest with the inept director who also tortured us with The Notebook. Dear producers… fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice…

SUFFS Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 17 2024, 05:12:47 PM

At least Lempicka has energy. Suffs commits the biggest crime of all…boredom.

THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 12 2024, 06:27:48 PM

These reviews are much better than I predicted. I was wrong about the critics reception. Now, as for my thoughts on the show, I refer you to my prediction of the critics reviews.

THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 11 2024, 08:12:44 PM

Mostly negative. Forgettable cast in a fairly boring adaptation. Rumble will get all the attention despite it being cool stylistically but lacks a dramatic arc. 

THE WIZ Previews  Apr 5 2024, 11:55:52 AM

I won’t beat this dead horse, but your post is perfect. The show has such talent on stage, but the production team failed on all levels (except maybe the Emerald City vogue scene at the top of Act Two). 

Perhaps this will signal the end of the directing career for Shele Williams who butchered two beloved properties this season. (The Notebook is the other, featuring some of worst direction I’ve ever seen in any show)

LEMPICKA - dramaturgical advice  Mar 27 2024, 08:54:55 PM

How arrogant of me to post this thinking anyone involved in the show will see this… but why not. Here goes:

Your show is about the beauty of living, survival is at the core. Almost every character is a survivor of some kind, but especially your lead. Beauty (not only meaning pretty) is your way into the evening.

Your fourth song is I believe called “Beauty” and it’s the first moment that actually earns the audience cheers. Take this song and create an ad

LEMPICKA Previews  Mar 26 2024, 06:42:26 PM

Does anyone remember the musical version of “Metropolis” with Judy Kuhn? The bombastic new musical at the Longacre has more in common with it than might seem obvious.

Machines over people, as a theme.

Art Deco design (or is it futurist?)

Synthetic 80’s pop music with deafening electronic orchestrations.

A leading lady not quite able to carry the show.

An inept script that makes it very difficult for the audience to care about anyone or

SUFFS Previews  Mar 26 2024, 12:40:23 AM

Likewise. What worked at The Public is now gone. What a bore. I don't have anything more to say. At least the awful Lempicka had some cool visuals and amazing orchestrations and Amber Iman. Suffs is a wikepedia snooze fest.

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews  Mar 22 2024, 07:41:19 AM

My friend and I used that forced standing ovation to make an easy and fast exit. This was such a disaster. If anyone can prove the “In the future” concept works I will eat my hat. The evening felt like a director had decided to fire his original collaborators to prove to the world the original success (and awe) was all because of him. What this revival proved is that is not the case. Bring back Bob Crowley!

LEMPICKA Previews  Mar 20 2024, 11:18:52 AM

Why did you think it would not be ready? Are you aware of how many YEARS!!! this show has been in development? It has had two major full productions, as well. The question on my mind is if they made the necessary changes to make this a compelling evening, which was not the case between Williamstown and LaJolla.

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews  Feb 11 2024, 10:19:48 AM

This is not solely directed by Michael, and when you see The Wiz revival you will understand why The Notebook direction is so poor. 

Is Days of Wine and Roses the early favorite for Best Original Score at the Tonys?  Dec 27 2023, 03:52:31 PM

Great question! I think the front runners are actually Lempicka, Suffs, and Water for Elephants. This is based on nothing except my having heard the scores, as compared to the brilliant but difficult score to Days of Wine and Roses. I would be shocked if Adam won for best score.

HARMONY previews  Oct 19 2023, 08:03:36 PM

Has anyone ever tried to cross reference the rapturous comments to previous posts by each person? Maybe I'm being terribly skeptical, but with 50 odd names investing in this musical I wouldn't be surprised if some of them created accounts to come on here and rave. I was not at the first preview last night, but someone I know was and she was far from rapturous about the show. She knew nothing going in, but is a huge Barry Manilow fan. Her exact review to me was, "I feel so guiltin

SUFFS is coming to Broadway  Sep 17 2023, 03:03:07 PM

After the mostly disappointing reviews came out at The Public, it became fairly easy to get a ticket or two during the end of the run. I'm glad I found out so I could go see it. Casting herself in the lead was a HUUUUUGE mistake. They did a workshop after the run. Would love to know what was cut. The show needed cuts. Lots and lots and lots of cuts. Did I mention the show needed to be cut down? And Shania should NOT play the lead. 

I suspect they are aiming for either The Nede

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24  Sep 12 2023, 05:58:30 PM

Sadly, you are not wrong. I've seen all four of these musicals in their out of town tryouts, and though each has strengths, none are particularly good. For me, Harmony is the real head scratcher since it had a full production off-Broadway and the reviews were hardly the kind to encourage a Broadway transfer. 

Lempicka - accomplished, but ultimately unsatisfying

The Notebook - schmaltz (made me think of Bridges of Madison County for some reason)

The Outsiders - a

The Hippest Trip: The Soul Train Musical  Sep 3 2023, 12:46:37 PM

Greetings from San Francisco where if you are lucky enough to get here you will be witnessing a star in the making. The title of this show might better be, "A Star is Born." The problem is, the best part of this show, this extraordinary new talent, is in the chorus. His name is Sequoiia (he only uses one name). He is a San Francisco native, but graduated from the New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts (never heard of it, but theater schools these days...) Despite the enthusiasm the

The Comeuppance  May 29 2023, 12:13:03 AM

We are both entitled to our opinions. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You