News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HARMONY previews

BETTY22
#1HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/15/23 at 3:24pm

I have never been to a first preview before but I'm thinking about getting a ticket? 

Do show's that already have a NYT Critic Pix change that much during the preview process?

Maybe, it's better to wait a few weeks. Thoughts?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/15/23 at 4:49pm

BETTY22 said: "Do show's that already have a NYT Critic Pix change that much during the preview process? Maybe, it's better to wait a few weeks. Thoughts?"

There are no rules and the NYT review shouldn't be much of a factor. It could change significantly, or the changes could be minor. At minimum in early previews, sometimes the sound is off, or transitions are messier, staging is strengthened, or costumes/props changed after seeing it with an audience.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/16/23 at 10:19am

It would be odd to implement significant changes after the positive notice from the New York Times and the fact that they have already recorded and released their cast album, but I suppose anything is possible.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#4HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/16/23 at 3:16pm

Plus this cast did the show already downtown except for Julie Benko being the sole new addition. Curious about any changes as we saw it and enjoyed it but looking forward to seeing it again with Julie.

Who's going to 1st preview on Wednesday? 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

chrishuyen
#5HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/16/23 at 3:24pm

I wonder if they'll be building out the set a bit more, considering that it was fairly bare bones downtown.  The production at the Ahmanson had a few more set pieces as seen here: https://playbill.com/article/photo-call-leigh-ann-larkin-and-shayne-kennon-star-in-barry-manilow-bruce-sussman-musical-harmony-at-the-ahmanson-theatre-com-215940

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/16/23 at 3:30pm

chrishuyen said: "I wonder if they'll be building out the set a bit more, considering that it was fairly bare bones downtown. The production at the Ahmanson had a few more set pieces as seen here:https://playbill.com/article/photo-call-leigh-ann-larkin-and-shayne-kennon-star-in-barry-manilow-bruce-sussman-musical-harmony-at-the-ahmanson-theatre-com-215940"

It's possible, but worth noting that the Ahmanson production had a different director and design team.

Updated On: 10/16/23 at 03:30 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#7HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/17/23 at 12:00am

This is our time, comrades!

At long last, Harmony begins Broadway previews tomorrow night (October 18) at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, before a November 13 opening. The decades-in-the-making tuner stars Chip Zien, Sierra Boggess, Julie Benko, Sean Bell, Danny Kornfeld, Zal Owen, Eric Peters, Blake Roman, Steven Telsey, Allison Semmes, and Andrew O’Shanick. Harmony features an original score by Barry Manilow and Bruce Sussman, a book by Sussman, and direction and choreography by Warren Carlyle. 

“Berlin, 1927. Six remarkably talented young men form a singing group who become international sensations: The Comedian Harmonists. They sell millions of records, star in major motion pictures, and play the biggest theaters around the world. By 1935, they were never heard from again. What happened? That’s the extraordinary true story of Harmony.”

Who’s going?

Oh look, a bibu!

Wayman_Wong
#8HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/17/23 at 11:15am

Working in 'Harmony' and finally bringing it to Broadway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlK31LEqzZ0

chrishuyen
#9HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/17/23 at 3:32pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It's possible, but worth noting that the Ahmanson production had a different director and design team."

Ah yeah, I wasn't saying that it would be an exact replica of the Ahmanson production, but more that I felt downtown the set was confined by the theater itself (I haven't seen any other production there so not sure if you can really do much with the stage itself) with all the set pieces being smaller things that could be brought on by the actors, so the Ahmanson was more of a point of reference for how the same story could scale to a larger theater

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#10HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/17/23 at 4:05pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "This is our time, comrades!

At long last,Harmonybegins Broadway previews tomorrow night (October 18) at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, before a November 13 opening. The decades-in-the-making tuner stars Chip Zien, Sierra Boggess, Julie Benko, Sean Bell, Danny Kornfeld, Zal Owen, Eric Peters, Blake Roman, Steven Telsey, Allison Semmes, and Andrew O’Shanick.Harmonyfeatures an original score by Barry Manilow and Bruce Sussman, a book by Sussman, and direction and choreography by Warren Carlyle.

“Berlin, 1927. Six remarkably talented young men form a singing group who become international sensations: The Comedian Harmonists. They sell millions of records, star in major motion pictures, and play the biggest theaters around the world. By 1935, they were never heard from again. What happened? That’s the extraordinary true story ofHarmony.”

Who’s going?
"

hey dude are you always up at 12am seems when you post these all the time lol

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BroadwaysBroad
#11HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/18/23 at 11:16pm

I sat 6 rows from

barry manulow!!!!!!!!!

BentleyB
#12HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/18/23 at 11:17pm

We just left the theater. I tried to go in blind to this show and not know much about it.  It probably was the best preview of any Broadway musical I have ever been too.  It was pretty flawless and the performances were spot on. It started at 8:06 and ended at 10:40, intermission seemed to go long at 20 minutes.  The audience was highly receptive to it and as it ended you could hear a pin drop.  I had great reservations about seeing it, however now I am looking forward to seeing it again.  Barry Manilow was there.  We were seated house right by the doors on the aisle.  He was brought in quickly when the lights went down and taken out at intermission before the lights came up.  

BETTY22
#13HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:08am

Wow! 

The first act is a brilliant golden age musical. The show that would have been written about The Comedian Harmonist’s if the second act had not occurred. It’s a fantastic rag to riches showbiz tail that is very funny and very moving. The big love song in act one got an ovation, however it’s the closing number of act one that I cannot forget. 

What is so powerful and heartbreaking about this show is the audience knows what is coming  (though there are a few twists)– the people in the story do not. 

Act two is breathtaking, that ultimately climaxes with a meeting on a train – THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED IN REAL LIFE. If you could change the course of history, would you? And if you didn’t what would the price be even greater.

Sierra Boggess has never been more glorious and will finally get her Tony nomination.

Julie Benko is haunting and most likely will win a Tony for the first role she has ever originated on Broadway.

Chip Zien is a treasure and getting to play the part of a lifetime. His solo turn in act two is one of the greatest performances I have ever seen on stage. 

But – the real stars of the show are the six remarkable young men who play The Comedian Harmonists – 5 of whom are making their Broadway debuts,

Manilow and Sussman’s score is one of the best in recent memory. These two know how to do this – however, it is Sussman’s book that shines the brightest. After seeing the show, you will understand why he won the Drama Desk beating out two Pulitzer Prize winners. 

christinelavin
#14HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 2:32am

The second act is so powerful that I found myself sobbing the last 20 minutes. The timing of this show couldn't be better (or worse) with the predicament Israel finds itself in right now. For Chip Zien it's the role of a lifetime. Outside on the sidewalk looking for my friends I bumped into a woman who was still sobbing.  She apologized profusely, said, "I have never been so moved by a movie, or a book, or a play, or anything I've ever heard in my life," then  disappeared into the crowd still crying. 

I saw it twice downtown last year, and found some of the changes interesting, but not as well done (could be since it was the only the first preview). I would never comment on something this early in the process, but as I thought last year (and tonight re-confirms it): I have never seen a show that an audience wants to love as much as this one.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#15HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 8:07am

I'm kinda moved reading your reviews! Guess I better grab tickets before word gets out! 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

stlrod
#16HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 8:14am

Glad to see the positive remarks.  Caught the opening number on The Today Show and was underwhelmed.  Final slot is between this and Some Like It Hot. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#17HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 8:48am

Saw this opening night Off Broadway. It was a complete bore; cant remember one song, but the word “Harmony” over and over again being sung. The best is the last ten minutes of the show. Chip is great thou. Hope it finds an audience 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 9:25am

I saw this downtown last year and was very much underwhelmed. I rolled my eyes when they announced the transfer but (because I’m me) still went last night. I don’t remember what exactly didn’t work off Broadway but I was engaged from start to finish last night and was among the people sobbing throughout ac two (and there was a LOT of sobbing). They obviously put in the work to make changes which is refreshing to see since most shows don’t even bother to do that anymore. 

I think this show might just hit different right now (this month, especially) with fellow Jews than it does for others. Obviously nobody could have predicted world events surrounding its start but the events in this show DO hit home a little harder in this time we’re in. I had family tell me to “just be careful” going to the show last night. The rise of antisemitism is (even in NYC) is a very real thing and makes this show even more important as yet another reminder of what can be lost though hate.

Performances also across the board are a 10/10. Chip Zien is a national treasure and it’s such a treat getting to see him in a role like this and I think I can safely say he’ll FINALLY get his first Tony Award nomination  

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#19HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 9:35am

God, it is truly wild Zien has never been nominated.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#20HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 11:04am

I love reading these reviews and hearing that they actually made necessary changes to the show. Would Sierra Boggess's character be considered a lead role in this updated version?

Jordan Catalano
#21HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 11:14am

Since Benko is absolutely supporting I could see them petitioning Boggess for leading, even though I think an argument can be made either way for that role. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#22HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:15pm

So glad everyone enjoyed the show last night.

And as for the midnight launches for the preview threads - I typically write up my opening remarks a few days in advance, and I just copy and paste when the time comes. It’s nothing but undeniable love and passion, and hope springs eternal when new shows join the boards. 

Oh look, a bibu!

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#23HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:26pm

Can someone post spoilers of what happens at the end? Curious to know what’s got people sobbing.

Jordan Catalano
#24HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:35pm

caitlinette said: "Can someone post spoilers of what happens at the end? Curious to know what’s got people sobbing."

Not really a spoiler for a show about Jews in Germany in the 1930’s during the rise of Hitler.  

pair-o-dice
#25HARMONY previews
Posted: 10/19/23 at 12:37pm

What an exceptional first preview.  It feels like a classic you already know but you're still on the edge of your seat through all of act two.  There's just a timelessness to the style.  Its classy and elegant, its big, brassy and fun when it needs to be and subtle and poignant in all the right spots. The music, staging, book, costuming, and performances were all wonderful.  Everyone gets a moment to shine and each one delivers.  The big power ballad in act one is a total showstopper.  Julie Benko is doing beautiful and powerful work.  Chip! Sierra! All the boys!  

And for the person wanting to know why everyone is sobbing at the end - I don't think it's any spoiler - but it's about a musical group that was basically erased from history by the Nazi party.  And the show, unintentionally, is incredibly relevant without having to try.  And, because of the artistic merits of the piece, on top of its relevancy, it delivers quite a punch.

Videos