pixeltracker

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/11/23 at 6:26pm

Previews begin February 24, with opening set for March 21:

https://www.telecharge.com/eventoverview.aspx?cityName=NY%20City%20Area&productId=14224

Since the dates are in the system and ready to go active, an official announcement tomorrow seems likely.

Updated On: 9/11/23 at 06:26 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/11/23 at 6:34pm

Tickets go on sale this Wednesday at 9 AM.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 9/11/23 at 06:34 PM

willep
#3WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/11/23 at 6:56pm

It’s amazing to me how often Telecharge slips the announcement.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#4WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/11/23 at 7:18pm

willep said: "It’s amazing to me how often Telecharge slips the announcement."

This has been such a well kept secret........

theblackumbrella
#5WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/11/23 at 7:48pm

This is some beautiful artwork. 

willep
#6WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/11/23 at 7:49pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "willep said: "It’s amazing to me how often Telecharge slips the announcement."

This has been such a well kept secret........
"

I’m well aware. Doesn’t negate the fact that telecharge slipped the announcement.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#7WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/11/23 at 9:13pm

https://www.waterforelephantsthemusical.com/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#8WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 9:13am

The official release seems to have hit the socials and theater news sites right at 7AM EST.

Updated On: 9/12/23 at 09:13 AM

TaffyDavenport
#9WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 9:59am

WEPRE912 on Telecharge Offers is the code for the presale, which is going on now.

pablitonizer
#10WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 10:25am

I see a similar fate as 'Life of Pi', I hope I'm wrong!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 10:40am

pablitonizer said: "I see a similar fate as 'Life of Pi', I hope I'm wrong!"

On paper, a musical with circus elements has significantly more potential than a nonmusical play. They won't be able to rely on the book or film to sell tickets –– it will have to stand on its own as a musical.

I do think LIFE OF PI's WOM was hurt badly by the fact that if you sat in the Orchestra section, you didn't get to see the full show since so much relied on the stage floor. Tony nominations for Best Play and Best Actor could have helped its "must see" narrative, too. It very clearly wanted to be CURIOUS INCIDENT, but that show became the once-every-few-years phenomenon of a play being embraced more like a musical; the must-see play of last season was LEOPOLDSTADT (and to some extent the star-plays PRIMA FACIE, GOODNIGHT OSCAR, and DOLL'S HOUSE). 

Updated On: 9/12/23 at 10:40 AM

Falsettolands
#12WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 11:10am

I didn't realize PigPen did the music! Might have to see this if the word of mouth is good.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#13WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 11:18am

WOW. I don't think I've ever seen a show at The Imperial charge $114 a seat for the last row mezz all the way to the side. 

nasty_khakis
#14WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 1:37pm

Jordan Catalano said: "WOW. I don't think I've ever seen a show at The Imperial charge $114 a seat for the last row mezz all the way to the side."

Not to turn into an "in my day" grampa before I'm 40 but...those were like $40-$50 for August/Billie Elliot/Nice Work. But I guess you could also have seen My Fair Lady for $3 or something. 

BroadwaysBroad
#15WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 1:39pm

Ok boomers, this is going to be a hit!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#16WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 2:23pm

Is it? I feel like there was zero buzz or word of mouth coming from Atlanta. I think with the popularity and abundance of Cirque type shows, they’ll have to really up the circus vibes to make this feels unique.

Hope Lombardo
#17WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 5:24pm

Not surprised by this at all...i saw it twice in Atlanta earlier this summer and it had a "sure bet" feel around it....and sold out nearly every performance over the course of the month. 

TaffyDavenport
#18WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 5:32pm

nasty_khakis said: "Jordan Catalano said: "WOW. I don't think I've ever seen a show at The Imperial charge $114 a seat for the last row mezz all the way to the side."

Not to turn into an "in my day" grampa before I'm 40 but...those were like $40-$50 for August/Billie Elliot/Nice Work. But I guess you could also have seen My Fair Lady for $3 or something.
"

They were $39 for Bad Cinderella.

Dolly80
#19WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 5:43pm

With this, Lempicka, The Notebook, The Outsiders and Harmony- all I’m seeing is a very weak 2024 season. Full of musicals destined to flop. I hope I’m wrong.

Updated On: 9/12/23 at 05:43 PM

Voter
#20WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 5:58pm

Dolly80 said: "With this, Lempicka, The Notebook, The Outsiders and Harmony- all I’m seeing is a very weak 2024 season. Full of musicals destined to flop. I hope I’m wrong."

All of these musicals had a pre-Broadway tryout in some sort of capacity. Clearly a lot of work has been done between the transfers. 

2024 Best Musical Nominees (Predictions):

Back to the Future 

Here Lies Love

The Notebook 

Water For Elephants 

Harmony 

Mitch101
#21WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 5:58pm

Sadly, you are not wrong. I've seen all four of these musicals in their out of town tryouts, and though each has strengths, none are particularly good. For me, Harmony is the real head scratcher since it had a full production off-Broadway and the reviews were hardly the kind to encourage a Broadway transfer. 

Lempicka - accomplished, but ultimately unsatisfying

The Notebook - schmaltz (made me think of Bridges of Madison County for some reason)

The Outsiders - a mess

TaffyDavenport
#22WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 6:13pm

Mitch101 said: "

For me, Harmony is the real head scratcher since it had a full production off-Broadway and the reviews were hardly the kind to encourage a Broadway transfer."

To me, Harmony isn't really a head-scratcher at all. It's Barry Manilow, it was a NYT Critic's Pick and Chip Zien will easily be a Tony favorite. I think The OutsidersWater for Elephants, and Lempicka have tougher roads ahead of them.

Updated On: 9/12/23 at 06:13 PM

BossBroadway
#23WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 6:21pm

In terms of financial status, I'm sure that almost any new musical will flop in the foreseeable future. In terms of quality shows, the 2024 season is going to be a hit. The Notebook was hit with near universal praise. Lempicka was, as well. Harmony's were strong, especially with a NYT Critic's Pick, and I think the score is beautiful and hope the show has reworked a little more. Here Lies Love got great mostly reviews, How to Dance in Ohio is also pretty strong, like Kimberly Akimbo. Water for Elephants, Back to the Future, and The Outsiders are just plain mediocre, neither of them bad (unlike Bad Cindy, Almost Famous, KPOP, and NYNY). As much as I enjoyed it, Once Upon a One More Time was definitely a mess and the weakest link in terms of new musicals this season. All of these shows are in a fairly good shape before their Broadway bows. Awards season will be tough. I think Here Lies Love and and Once Upon a One More Time will be forgotten except for the design categories and choreography, respectively.

I think Best Musical looks like this right now:

Best Musical:

• The Notebook

• Harmony

• How to Dance In Ohio (should it close before awards and be forgotten, I could see Here Lies Love somehow making it here, or even Water for Elephants)

• Lempicka

• The Outsiders (could also see Here Lies Love or Water for Elephants making it here if How to Dance in Ohio is still open)

Updated On: 9/12/23 at 06:21 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#24WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 6:53pm

I'm not hoping this will happen, but has there ever been a Broadway season in which every nominee for Best Musical flopped, including the winner?

Truth be told, positive reviews and awards of any kind don't have the power they once had. Whether or not this leads to a paradigm shift — be it on Broadway or in other areas of the entertainment industry — remains to be seen.

Oh look, a bibu!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25WATER FOR ELEPHANTS at the Imperial Theatre, Opening March '24
Posted: 9/12/23 at 6:56pm

Back to the Future being up for Best Musical makes my heart sink. Honesty, I was looking forward to flying in to see some shows but none of these are particularly exciting to me. Listen to Limpecka and I didn't hate the music but they never could seem to find a melody they liked so they just kept changing it. The Notebook was fine, but it was kind of neither here nor there for me. The rest just don't appeal to me in any meaningful way the way Kimberly Akimbo did. 

But we also have Boop in Chicago in December, and I could see that taking the Shubert or something. And The Bedwetter was suppose to come in this season too.

Updated On: 9/12/23 at 06:56 PM