News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for arykahmarye

arykahmarye Profile Photo
Member Name: arykahmarye
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.geocities.com/cassierachel/LineisQue/
Blog Address: http://arykahmarye.broadwayworld.com
Profile: There's so much in the world to love, why waste your time and energy on hate?

"You gotta love everybody, make them feel good about themselves" - The Presidents of the United States of America

It really sucks being a poor Broadway fan who lives in Seattle.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: New MY FAIR LADY film  Jun 6 2008, 01:04:48 PM
This announcement really amused me, because over Christmas, my dad (who adores My Fair Lady) just randomly brought up the topic of a remake and, suggested that Hugh Laurie would make an excellent Henry Higgins. Which i have to agree with, because the guy is an excellent actor, is musically talented, and can do cranky with a sense of humor.
Beyond that we threw out some random suggestions, like bringing back the old duo and putting Stephen Fry in as Colonel Pickering, maybe having Dav

re: Will they say 'Macbeth' at the Tony Awards?  Apr 12 2008, 10:35:16 PM
My sister is a theatre kid, and she just throws out a "MacBeth" every now and then backstage because, as she figures it, since she was from her mother's womb untimely ripped she counteracts any bad juju. Seems to have worked out alright for her so far.
re: Burton told to tone down SWEENEY's blood bath  Aug 25 2007, 01:06:51 PM
In last week's Entertainment Weekly, they had their fall movie preview guide, including a page on Sweeney Todd, and in there Tim Burton expressed that the movie was receiving an R rating.

And the picture of Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter looked very spooky.

re: for those that have seen Young Frankenstein  Aug 19 2007, 01:22:56 PM
It (the violin/Frankenstein theme) is very similar. When you first hear it, it's recognizable, but changes at the end of the main melody part enough so they didn't have to worry about sampling or stealing somebody else's music. They already had to pay out for "Puttin' on the Ritz" (unless it's in the public domain?), i'm sure paying for an entire score would've been expensive, plus ruin Mel Brooks's chances at a Tony later.
re: Besides dress rehearsals,what do actors do to warm up before a performa  Feb 23 2007, 02:53:36 AM
In previous shows i did, it was very common for someone to hold a prayer circle about 20 minutes before the show. Most of the cast would join in. Except us Catholics. We'd sit in a corner and talk about how we didn't need to pray for this kind of thing.

One show, i didn't go on until after 8 PM, so a couple of the girls and i would watch Jeopardy to keep our nerves down. During Footloose, i brought in CDs of '80s music for the cast to sing along and dance to.

re: Books to Musicals, what do you guys think?  Nov 3 2006, 08:27:03 PM
In terms of well-suited for adaptation, i think most of the Jane Austen novels would be prime source material. Most of them have the quinticential "The course of love ne'er did run smooth" plotline. Emma could be really well done i think, even if it's my least favourite of her books. There's enough featured characters to keep things interesting. Persuasion would be perfect, i think.
re: Weirdest comment by an actor?  Oct 26 2006, 02:44:49 AM
Not exactly weird, but funny. After seeing Wicked for the closing matinee in Seattle, my friends and i were at the end of line for the stage door (due to the fact that floods of people turned out for Megan and Shoshana).

L'anyhoodle, Josh Lamon who played Boq finally gets down to us, and being that he is the sweetest guy, he had a nice little conversation with us about being in a regional Sweeney Todd, and my friend, whose not uber into theatre, but agreed to come with me

Sondheim Shows Frozen  Aug 18 2006, 04:51:02 PM
One of the local community theatres in my area was planning on doing Into the Woods this winter as one of their shows, and they thought they'd had all their paperwork in in June. However, it turend out not to be so, and when they reapplied this week, they were told that not only were the rights to Into the Woods frozen, but so were all other Sondheim shows.

Now, i'm not sure if this is true or not (i have no real reason to suspect the theatre group lied or was lied to), wh

re: Dirty Rotten Tour - Song Change?  Aug 6 2006, 04:05:01 PM
I didn't notice them playing any of the new song throughout the rest of the show. It's good, but i still prefer 'Giving Them What They Want'. It just seems to set the tone so wonderfully. However, this new song worked really well for Tom Hewitt, who is the tour Lawrence. So, we'll see how it goes.

The sets are a bit scaled down with the glitz, the balcony that Muriel keeps appearing on after her trysts isn't elevated above anymore. It's still good-looking though.

And as

re: Dirty Rotten Tour - Song Change?  Aug 5 2006, 11:14:36 PM
It fits, it's a departure from 'Giving Them What They Want', which set up the idea of Lawrence being a suave kind of guy, reading the people to find his target.

This new one, 'The Only Game In Town' sets it up more as Lawrence gets all the dough, because there's no competition in Beaumont sur Mer for his position as the swindler. It's pretty good, but it certainly surprised me when it started. You don't really get introduced to his self-possessed character as much. They d

Dirty Rotten Tour - Song Change?  Aug 5 2006, 10:59:56 PM
Today, i saw the second show of the tour. It was wonderful, Norbert was amazing as always.

However, the first song has changed. What was 'Giving Them What they Want' has become a song i've never heard, called 'The Only Game In Town'. I'm assuming this is unique to the tour, as when i saw the show in New York in April, it was the usual song line-up.

Anyone know the reason for the song change?

re: Which plays should NEVER be turned into a musical.  Jul 13 2006, 10:43:45 PM
The Children's Hour

I can't imagine that, even as a well-thought opera.

re: Hilarious Comments Overheard By Tourists and Audience Members  Jun 18 2006, 08:48:06 PM
Since i've only been to New York once, over the past spring, i can't make much comment on things i overheard. However, i think i should share the one faux pas i'm aware of making.

My school went with a tour group, and the rest of the group had voted to see Tarzan as one of our three shows, which i was not excited about. I hadn't liked the movie and i didn't want to sit through 3 hours of Phil Collins music. Well, at intermission i turned to my friend who'd also been against seein

re: AUTOGRAPHS!!  May 28 2006, 04:24:39 PM
How long would you say it usually takes people to reply back? I sent out letters to a couple of the cast members of The Wedding Singer about 3 weeks ago, and haven't heard back.
re: musicals that waste a good source material  May 26 2006, 10:43:04 PM
mlsheehan, i think you're absolutely right in regards to Wicked. Yes the book of the musical is clunky, and it's definetly a lot more pop and sugar than the book. But (and i beg, don't hate on this) if it had stuck to the book, you'd end up with another 3-hour depressed-fest like Les Miserables. I love Les Mis, but it wears you down after a while. For a musical, Wicked works the way it is. Now, if the BBC would make an adapted mini-series out of it like with
re: Who Could Be the New Marius in Les Mis?  May 16 2006, 02:23:03 PM
How about Manoel Felciano? If Sweeny Todd is done by then.
re: Tarzan Article w/ Pictures Covers NY Times Arts & Leisure Section  Apr 15 2006, 09:01:28 PM
I saw this show last week at it's 3rd preview, seriously dreading the experience and expecting the worst. But walking out i was completely stunned and enthralled.

Josh Strickland certainly wasn't the best actor i've ever seen on stage, but he's really embodied the part and made it work for him. Maybe he's not what you expect Tarzan to look like, but during the performance he does become what Tarzan is and should be.

And when you're actually in the audience, the ropes don't ca

re: Lestat, Tarzan, and Drowsy Reviews  Apr 15 2006, 08:52:18 PM
I really didn't expect to enjoy Tarzan at all, i was dreading seeing it in fact (in a group, unfortunetly, sacrifices have to be made). But i was proven totally wrong. It's so good, especially techinically. Plus the cast is all so kind at the stagedoor.
re: DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS Even Funnier with Jonathyn Price  Apr 15 2006, 08:50:14 PM
I just saw it last week with Jonathan Pryce, and walked out with stomach cramps from laughter. The man knows how to own a stage and work an audience. I loved every moment of it.

Though, when i saw the show, it seemed as if the two boys (Pryce and Butz) were constantly working to make the other laugh. I think Norbert won that day.

re: Next Disney Show  Apr 15 2006, 03:55:17 PM
I don't like the idea of Disney taking over Broadway, but to give them credit, i have loved all of their shows so far. This includes Tarzan, which i saw last week and was not looking forward to. I have to tell you, i was so taken back by how amazing it was. It makes a big difference when Phil Collins isn't the one singing.

Nonetheless, i love the idea of Mulan or Hercules going to Broadway, because i thought those movies had great potential.

Non-Disn

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You