News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GVS2

Member Name: GVS2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Regina Spektor at the Lunt  Jun 22 2019, 03:15:27 AM

Regina Spektor's show was amazing tonight. Lin Manuel Miranda joined her onstage for a duet of "Dear Theodosia" at the end of the night. Nearly two hours after the show, Regina did sign autographs and was very gracious with those who waited. Lin signed and took pictures near the main entrance a few minutes before that. It appeared that he was trying to avoid Regina's spotlight at the stage door. It didn't work, as people ran down the thirty feet or so to greet him.

Girl From The North Country - Broadway  Jun 18 2019, 05:18:19 PM

Broadway will be fortunate to have a show like Girl from the North Country grace the Belasco. I stumbled upon this show while visiting London in August of 2017 while it was at The Old Vic. Having now seen it on the West End and at the Public, it will be interesting to see who will join the cast and what changes might be made.

In November, I shared some thoughts about the importance of a show like Girl from the North Country on my blog. I invite you to read the post if you wish.  Girl from the North Country Blog Post

HADESTOWN Previews  Apr 12 2019, 06:28:21 AM

Thanks to TDF, I made an unexpected return trip to Hadestown last night. (Guessing that will be the last time that opportunity happens for a very long time once the show opens.) The subtle changes that have been made to the show since seeing the performance on March 25th were quite evident last night. I got chills numerous times. My good friend, a retired teacher who I teamed with in my first year of teaching, could not stop talking about the layers of the show, the repeated allusions, the hi

HADESTOWN Previews  Mar 26 2019, 03:26:27 PM

I was most fortunate to have witnessed the continued transformation of Hadestown last night at the NYTW Workshop Night. To be fair, I went in already loving everything about this work of art. With that said, the performance last night was simply otherworldly. The changes made from each of the previous productions to what was presented last night likely only hint at the attention to detail that has been made on every level. Having seen Hadestown Off-Broadway, in Edmonton, in London, and now on

HADESTOWN Previews  Mar 17 2019, 08:58:14 PM

Hadestown is everything. I can understand your excitement. I am looking forward to see what changes have been made since London. Some thoughts on the transformation of Hadestown:

https://tiny-journey.com/2019/01/14/transformations-hadestown/

Sara Bareilles TimesTalks  Feb 26 2019, 09:59:56 PM

A TimesTalks with Sara Bareilles was posted recently on their website for April 1st. For those who have not been to one of these events, they take place in a very small venue and are usually quite fascinating. The event is listed as "a night of music and conversation with Grammy, Tony and Emmy nominated singer, songwriter, and actress Sara Bareilles."  Tickets are $55 before fees. I am sure that she would appreciate fans of Waitress in the audience.

https://www.timestalks.com/talks/sara-bareilles/

What the Constitution Means to Me - Helen Hayes Theater March 2019  Feb 9 2019, 05:32:12 AM

I absolutely loved What the Constitution Means to Me when I saw it at the NYTW in September. Afterwards, I left feeling more hopeful and reassured despite these chaotic and uncertain times. 

Hadestown or Beetlejuice?  Jan 29 2019, 03:37:13 PM
Having seen Hadestown at the New York Theatre Workshop in 2016, in Edmonton in December of 2017, and in London at the National Theatre this November, all I can say is that what was originally an incredible production has only gotten better! I can not wait to see the final modifications made for Broadway! Anais Mitchell and Rachel Chavkin have created a moving and beautiful piece of theater.
West End 101  Dec 30 2018, 08:41:27 AM

Going to the theatre in London is an experience. I was there last month to see Hadestown. A few notes:

1) Ice cream during the interval is always enjoyable!

2) TodayTix has some good options should you find an opening in one of your days or evenings.

3) The Backstage Tour at the National Theatre was an amazing experience. If you are intrigued by all things related to the theatre, then I highly recommend the tour.

4) If you are on a budget, there are often tickets f

HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr  Dec 1 2018, 09:01:48 PM

I thought that Reeve Carney's portrayals of Orpheus in Edmonton and London were outstanding. For those speculating about his talent, give the guy a chance and form your own opinion after seeing the show for yourself. When he sang "Wait for Me," I got chills. When he signed outside the stage door, he could not have been any more humble, appreciative, and generous.

HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr  Nov 30 2018, 06:13:07 AM

Hadestown is everything. When it was announced on Tuesday that it would open at the Walter Kerr Theater, I could not be more thrilled. As an Anais Mitchell and Hadestown fan through and through, my opinion is obviously biased. Having seen it at the New York Theater Workshop, at the Citadel in Edmonton last December, and this past Monday at the the National Theatre in London, I can objectively share that it has evolved into a powerfully artistic and visually stunning production. The

Days of Rage Previews  Oct 20 2018, 09:22:14 PM

I attended the matinee performance of Days of Rage today and really enjoyed the production.  The cast was perfect together.  The story felt current in the surreal times that we are living through right now.  As I was not alive during the Vietnam War era, the characters embodied the uncertainty that I'm sure many people felt at the time... and probably still do.  I am quite glad that I did not miss this production.

WHAT THE CONSTITUTION MEANS TO ME at NYTW  Sep 30 2018, 08:40:37 AM

Yesterday I attended the afternoon performance of WHAT THE CONSTITUTION MEANS TO ME at the New York Theater Workshop. My decision to attend was based on the events unfolding in Washington, DC over the past few days. Heidi Schreck's play and performance was simply astounding and never before have I experienced a piece of theater that resonated with me so emotionally based on the state of current events. I am still processing what I saw and heard, and will likely nee

Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?  Sep 19 2018, 12:12:21 AM

Just got home from seeing tonight's performance.  The new cast was amazing.  Having seen the two London productions, I can say that this cast works together just as beautifully to amplify each other's strengths.  What a unique and moving piece of theater.

Will HADESTOWN end up like THE GREAT COMET??  Sep 12 2018, 11:54:24 PM

Hadestown is one of my favorite shows ever. I flew to Edmonton to see it last December. The changes that were made only improved the show from the NYTW show from 2016. I am flying to London to see it this November and can't wait to see what additional improvements were made. Simply put, it will draw people in on word of mouth alone when it opens on Broadway!

Public Theater Performance  Sep 4 2018, 05:17:32 PM

For those who enjoy live music, Gaelynn Lea will be performing at Joe's Pub at the Public Theater on Saturday, September 15th. If you do not know Gaelynn Lea, she won NPR's Tiny Desk Contest in 2016 out of over 6,000 entrants. Having seen Gaelynn perform twice now, I can say without a doubt that her live performance is simply incredible. Gaelynn learned from an early age to play the violin in the upright position similar to a cello. I will include the link to her Tiny Desk Contest below. Not only is Gaelynn a powerful performer, but she is a remarkably kind person and an advocate for disability rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6oSeODGmoQ

https://www.publictheater.org/reserve/index.aspx?performanceNumber=37657

HADESTOWN to open in London, Broadway in 2019  Aug 15 2018, 11:09:16 PM

I have been listening to the Hadestown album since its beginning.  Having seen the initial NYTW production and the production in Edmonton, I can say with certainty that it will be well received on Broadway.  Not only was there a major restaging, the addition of Reeve was a great decision.  When the National Theatre production was announced, I worried that I would miss out.  Thrilled to have just found a weekend in November that works and very inexpensive airfare from NY. &

Ken Davenport  Jul 30 2018, 06:14:38 PM

Last fall, I wanted to find out more about the creation and production of Broadway shows.  After completing a simple search in hopes of finding a few books or websites to guide my curiosity, I was presented with Ken's conference that was a few weeks away.  On a gut feeling, I decided that hearing from experts in the field would be an interesting way to perhaps answer my questions.  (I have attended other workshops or have taken courses in a variety of fields in a simil

Best Musical Books?  Jul 30 2018, 08:51:48 AM

Try reading Beating Broadway, by Steve Cuden.

Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?  Jul 27 2018, 11:16:44 PM

Just bought tickets for another performance in November.  Many of the performances are already sold out.  I suspect that it will be sold out before it even opens, or immediately after the first few shows.  For those who are waiting, I would advise against it if you are able to buy.  Having seen this show twice in London, I can say that the amount of people who will be trying to get the rush tickets will be abundant.  This is not a production to miss!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You